Default Browning X-Bolt for Long Range Shooting?

Hello All, I am a proud PSL owner but i was thinking of getting a more traditional Bolt Action for the hunting camp and longer range fun. I know i probably won't go wrong with a Rem 700 or a Savage 10-12 model but in doing some research at the local shop the guy behind the counter showed me a Browning X-bolt. I have to say the action felt like quality, it was smoother then the 700 and the synthetic stock and recoil pad felt really nice when holding it. I have shot my father in law's Remmy A bolt (.280) but never fired the 700 or Savage. I ramble, sorry LOL. So i was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them, they don't seem to have a large following in the long range forums i lurk, either here and on a couple other sights. I read the reviews that they seem to be a little more accurate then the 700 out of the box in just about every review i read. Am i missing out on something if i don't buy the more traditional 700 or Savage? I liked the feel of them all, the Browning just felt slightly better. (without actually shooting them all of course) Oh and for caliber i was thinking 7mm WSM. (wanting to stay away from the more traditional .308 and 300 calibers) Living in Oregon i was thinking of supporting my local Leupold business with my optics. (Probably 4-14x40mm) Any comments would be most helpful!

I heard very mix revues of the Browning-xbolts, My long range rifle is Savage 110 fcpk,300 winmag 4.5" 600yards ,with reloads .

I have Tikka varmint in .308 very accurate sub MOA,the best action and the trigger I ever tried,got a coyote 350yards .
    I am thinking to get Tikka in 6.5X55 ,everybody saying this round is very flat for a long distances and can deliver a punch
    check this rifle its a 2011 tikka sporter
    http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?sporter
    and BTW i never heard any bad revues for tikka rifles
    Good luck
    Last edited by atakacorp; 04-14-2011 at 09:38 PM.
    Golani 12th Battalion

Had an A-bolt in 30-06 and it was an excellent rifle. I've handled the X-bolts and they seem nice, but have not had the chance to shoot one. For a hunting rifle, it would probably be fine. However, if you're looking to do more precise work at long range and shoot more than a few rounds at a time, you may want to look at something with a heavier barrel and better stock.This is something you'll have trouble finding for the Browning; aftermarket support. That is, if it is something you may be considering in the future. But, if hunting is your primary use and weight is a consideration, I can understand.

I'll give a big +1 to Savage and Tikka T3 rifles, as well. I own/have shot many of both. I think the Savage rifles probably have the best out of the box accuracy and options, for the price. Tikka is just as accurate and the 60 degree bolt throw is just plain awesome. The action is probably the smoothest/fastest around. In terms of aftermarket support, both are gaining popularity. The Remington 700 is still king in that department, however (and I have nothing against them, either).

I think what it boils down to, is what your primary use will be. Same for caliber. For volume shooting, I would go with one of the mainstream calibers, for cost consideration, as well as variety of bullets available for different needs. But, if only hunting, 7WSM would be a good choice.

My .02

John (Shameless Savage Fanboy)

Yeah i know the Browning will have less aftermarket support. I think i will need to look into the Savage a little more before making a purchase. I really loved the feel of the Browning, and can always get a heavy barrel made for slightly more. But the lack of stocks is something to think about. I've heard great things about the Tikka as well but i haven't found a local place that carries them and i am not going to buy one online without at least holding it. Thanks for the great replies guys, i appreciate all input, if anyone else has a favorite rifle or a caliber suggestion i would love to hear it. In my original post I accidentally typed 7mm WSM, but meant the 7mm Rem Mag.

Here new long range Savage
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...ONGRANGEHUNTER
    accu everything and muzzle brake ,1"MOA out of the box,support is great.Accutrigger, I am changing it for sav-1,but its me,I know guys that loving it,

And after that it will be the SCOPE . I think save some money for 30mm , big difference from the 1" . I am Leupold guy, NightForce,Svarovsky great glass ,cost 2,3 rifles
    Last edited by atakacorp; 04-15-2011 at 01:55 AM.
    Golani 12th Battalion

What type of hunting do you do (type of animals and expected ranges)? That would make a big difference in my choice of caliber. Even with that info, there's plenty of room for varying opinions, too!

John

I'll confuse you even more. Check out a HOWA or a Weatherby Vanguard (made by HOWA). I am looking at getting a "traditional" bolt gun myself as the ONLY non-surp style rifle I own is a .22 Mossberg. I hadn't looked at the Browning but will include it in my search. I am looking at either 7mm-08 and 7mm WSM.
    Vigilance in Living counteracts Stupidity in Dying
    Per Scintillam Flamma

I went to a local shop tonight to handle a couple of the contenders. I looked at a Tikka. Loved the action but the stock felt narrow and sort of cheap in my hands, but i think with the added weight of a scope and pad would be fine. Held a Ruger, the dealer swears its a great rifle, Mauser action, hated it, felt like holding a cap gun. Tried out the Browning again. out of the box still felt great, but would like a heavier barrel. I need to find a dealer in town that i can hold a good Savage model. I am thinking that i will need to tweek any rifle i end up choosing, with that in mind the Remmy 700 might be the best choice. I hate dropping that much cash without being absolutely sure so i will probably end up just picking one. I am sure i will be happy with any of them (minus the Ruger) As for Caliber, i would like something for North American Deer and Elk mainly. Wide open flat areas in Eastern Oregon, it's not uncommon to take shots out to 300-400 years, though i would prefer to get much closer. Realistically i could probably use any thing in the 6mm and up range, but the 7mm's flat flying high BC and speed is appealing to me. I would also like to work up to shooting some paper out to 1000 yds eventually and the 7mm will do that pretty well. As a side note, I hear the newer 30.06 rounds are better then they used to be, there is something appealing about an older caliber, price being one of them LOL.
    Last edited by Diamondtron24; 04-16-2011 at 03:29 AM. Reason: *edited for spelling etc.

If possible, at least handle the Savage and Remington before choosing. Again, nothing wrong with the Browning, but I think that you could get more for your money with the other two (especially Savage). But, if the Browning just feels right, I say "go for it".

Some would argue that the .308 Winchester can do just about anything the -06 can do, but with less recoil. If you're only shooting factory ammo, that's probably closer to being true, but if handloading, you can probably get a little more out of the .30-06. Any thirty caliber is going to have a better ammo/bullet selection, though. Personally, I would have no issues taking a 400 yard shot on an elk with a .308 Winchester. Shot placement and bullet selection are key, though (but that's true with any caliber). I forgot to ask and didn't see it above, but; Do you reload, or have an interest in starting? That's going to be a huge influence, in my opinion.

Also, keep in mind that you're basically talking about a hunting rifle on a Sniper Rifle forum. Some of the answers you get (mine included) may be a little biased.

John

Something else that I forgot to mention:

Savage rifles are designed in such a way to make changing barrels very easy. There are many people who have one action and several barrels in different calibers, so they can switch them out, pretty much at will. For example, if you got a Savage long action (like the 110), you could have it in .308 to start and swap it out to a longer cartridge down the road, if you felt the need. Having a short cartridge like the .308, in a long action, would also give you more freedom in the OAL of your loads, without having to worry about the constraints of a short action magazine. Just one more thing to consider. Also, even though Remington has the "most" aftermarket support, there are plenty of options available for Savage, too. They are a close second, in that department. Finding stocks, barrels and accessories is not a problem, at all.

John

Just found out it's gun show weekend here so i think i will spend my afternoon there. I plan to look at the Savage before making a purchase. I don't like dropping money without seeing my options
    Yeah this rifles "functional use" will be hunting, but i really want to get into some long range fun so it's going to need to do both. I agree with you on the lack of aftermarket support for the Browning. The interchangeability of the Savage barrels is interesting and certainly a plus in my book of indecisiveness LOL

Well off to play!