Thread: RHSA Walther PP...

Default RHSA Walther PP...

Hi all,
    This pistol came my way over the weekend. It's a PP that was assigned to the RHSA (Reichssicherheitshauptamt) the umbrella organization that included some of Adolf's worst thugs.
    The slide is numbered to the frame as is the magazine. The external condition is not too good but it was inexpensive.

Len
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RHSA PP 001.JPG   RHSA PP 002.JPG   RHSA PP 003.JPG   RHSA PP 004.JPG   RHSA PP 006.JPG  
    ..of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants. -Alexander Hamilton , The Federalist Papers

Wonderful find and worth getting in most any condition. Congratulations. If you think that condition is bad you should see my RZM PPK.

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

Well, it could be in better condition, but it could also be in worse condition. Anyhow, I would not turn it away.
    Charlie

Any WWII (1939-1945) serial numbered Walther PP that was used during the war is not going to go down in price.....no matter what you paid for it!!! Since it is stamped RHSA (Reichssicherheitshauptamt) it could have been used by a Gestapo agent. This is a great Walther PP historical piece, regardless of condition. Actually the fact that it was obviously very used makes it a better historical piece than an unissued mint condition example, IMHO.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Isn't that RSHA? Not that i am not frequently guilty of flipping a couple of letters, besides generally indulging in somewhat creative typing on a regular basis.

That said - i am quite in agreement with comments about it by others. Lots of interest in Nazi items and especially those solidly associated with the security apparatus.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherPP View Post
    Any WWII (1939-1945) serial numbered Walther PP that was used during the war is not going to go down in price.....no matter what you paid for it!!! Since it is stamped RHSA (Reichssicherheitshauptamt) it could have been used by a Gestapo agent. This is a great Walther PP historical piece, regardless of condition. Actually the fact that it was obviously very used makes it a better historical piece than an unissued mint condition example, IMHO.
    If you note - it is not stamped "RSHA"
    Charlie

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

I think the association with the RSHA is based on being in a serial number bloc known to have been delivered to them.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Being in a serial number bloc is only part of the equation. Actually a minor part.

But how does one determine the serial number blocks? It is not 'stamped' RSHA. (I am being picky in the markings only in an attempt to avoid misconceptions concerning the pistols.)

Simply because 'at that time period', the serial number is on the outside of the slide and the magazine also bears the serial number of the pistol. This information determines the block.

I have 16 or 17 PPKs and 2 PPs which could be classified as RSHA issued pistols. None are so stamped.

By the way RSHA PPs are rarer than RSHA PPKs - so far, based on available data, the ratio is 20 to 1 - which is why Len's acquisition is a score in spite of condition.

For good information on known (to date) such PPs and PPKs, the Red Book and the Black Book are the best references.

Also one person has posted a list of orphan magazines which fills in or helps to establish the serial number blocks which information has been incorporated into the Black Book. To view this go to either Jan's forum or the P38/PP/PPK forum where this list is a sticky.
    Charlie