Thread: 9mm Ammo Problems?

Default 9mm Ammo Problems?

Is anyone having problems with extraction of Winchester white box 9mm ammo? I have recently had a Star BM and SIG 228 in the shop for extraction problems. Neither pistol gave any problems with other brands of ammo but had over 50% failure to clear with Winchester ammo. The round would extract but fall off the extractor before hitting the ejector, causing a jam. Not a stovepipe but an empty left in the port. Same thing happened with Winchester brass reloads. This was after all the usual fixes of extractor tension and a thorough cleaning.

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

I never had any problem with 9mm Winchester white box ammo in my Hi Power.But I has similar problems and stove piping with 9 mm Wolf ammo. Other people I know had no problems with the 9mm Wolf ammo in their Hi Powers. So it is possible that the problem is particlar to your pistol resulting from some aspect of the Winester brass.
    Charlie

same box of ammo or several boxes? If its just one box, maybe they ran a weak lot past quality control. If its a couple of different boxes from different lots, could be your guns are sprung too tight for its recoil or something (use another type, slightly hotter?).

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

Had some problems with the white box stuff in my SIG PRO. I shoot S&B pretty much exclusive for targets now and have no problems regardless of caliber.
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

Oldgoat,

Thanks for your information. I compared the brass and it appeared that the WW had a shallower extractor groove than other brands. My Brownings shoot it with no problems but the SIG and Star extractors don't grab it right.

Quote Originally Posted by kp321 View Post
    Oldgoat,

Thanks for your information. I compared the brass and it appeared that the WW had a shallower extractor groove than other brands. My Brownings shoot it with no problems but the SIG and Star extractors don't grab it right.
    It sounds like you need to disassemble both pistols completely and remove the extractors to clean behind them. I won't go into to much detail but WWB is premium ammo no matter what your opinion may be. If you frequently load a single round in the breach and release to slide to pop over it, you could have already worn out your extractors. I never do this and always feed from my magazines.

I have reloaded thousands of rounds using 9mm WIN brass & never had any functionality issues with it in any of my handguns.

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

Funny how ammo is like people.
    Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by kp321 View Post
    Oldgoat,

You probably hit on the problem right there. Stop using it in the Sig and Star.
    Not every brand of ammo works the same in every pistol.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

I won't buy WWB .

FIVESHOT

Quote Originally Posted by oldFred View Post
    It sounds like you need to disassemble both pistols completely and remove the extractors to clean behind them. I won't go into to much detail but WWB is premium ammo no matter what your opinion may be. If you frequently load a single round in the breach and release to slide to pop over it, you could have already worn out your extractors. I never do this and always feed from my magazines.
    It's amazing how much crud gets in behind the extractors.
    #1 for "extraction issues" IS CLEANING and inspection of extractor for condition/damage.

#1 that actually happens is "blame the ammo".

I shoot a huge ammount of Win. pistol brass (I do not buy factory ammo) among others, and have never had an extraction issue relatable to the brass.
    Filthy extractor recesses yes, brass no, weak ammo, only if loaded to rediculously low levels.