Default Custom work on a Ruger Super Blackhawk

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in .44 mag and was thinking about getting some custom work done to it. I have a scope on the revolver and I am planning on using it for hunting, mostly whitetail deer.
    I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what to do (was thinking about an action job, accurizing and a trigger job, perhaps even porting) and any recommendations on who does good work. I saw Mag-na-Port does this work and was wondering if anyone has experience with them, or any other company. Is it worth it or am I just throwing money away?
    I'm not looking to dump a truck load of money into this. About $300-500 is what I'm looking at. Any help would be great. Thanks.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Redhawk.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	424141

It started life as a 5.5 inch .44 mag Redhawk. It made a trip to Mag-Na-Port International perhaps a dozen years ago. It had the barrel cut to 4.5 inches, crown inverted, forcing cone recut, chambers polished and numbered, action tuned, new wollf springs, CMore sights, and was ported. I think that was all. I have never shot a finer revolver, including some of those vaunted Smiths with their glass tuned actions. I prefer a smooth stocked magnum revolver to rubber grips or checkered wood, which is why it wears ivory.

I have had many offers to buy it from people who have shot it and said it is the finest .44 magnum they have shot. Ok, that sounds a bit prideful, but I simply love this revolver an no one who has shot it has ever said anything but the same thing. I have taken a whitetail every year with it for at least 15 years. As far as the porting goes, when I first got the revolver if I shot 50 full bore magnums the hand would start getting tired and eventually my grip would weaken and split the webbing between my thumb and forefinger. After no such problem at all. My brother in law has had his Redhawk done in a similar manner after shooting mine.

I highly recommend Mag-Na-Port Int. They are a great group to work with, and it is a great place to vist should you get the opportunity.

http://www.magnaport.com/
    Last edited by lee1959; 04-26-2011 at 04:15 PM.

cherlec, if it needs all that, just sell it and buy a super redhawk. i have one, the trigger and action need no work, and i really don't see what mag na porting would do to improve it. it's is a fine hunting pistol out of the box.
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

Let me put it this way, the Super Redhawk is a nice revolver, but having shot a number of them they are not even inthe same league, talking smoothness of action, trigger pull weight or feel for either single or double action with the work done on my revolver, the ones I shot with a full length barrel even had more muzzle flip than mine with a 4.5 inch tube. That comes from someone who HAS shot both, not someone who is automatically assuming that the Super Redhawk is as good and dismissing the other out of hand.

Which is not to say the Super Redhawk is not a worthwhile revolver, it is, simply saying if one wishes a custom revolver with custom results, it is not the same.
    Last edited by lee1959; 04-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

Well I didn't catch anything about barrel length, but if it is a 7 1/2" with a scope the weight of it will negate any need for magnaporting. I don't have a Super Black hawk but I do have a Redhawk 7.5" with a Simmons scope and recoil wise there isn't much to it. But it's kind of like the winch and KC lights I put on my Jeep some time ago. I just wanted to. reason enough.
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

I can shoot a Super Blackhawk very accurately but it draws blood, even with reduced power loads. My fingers are just too damned short for the SAA type grip frame.
    The Super Redhawk fits me perfectly and I can shoot full 44 mag loads forever. Mine isn't ported and i see no use for it on a long barreled 44 mag Redhawk wih scope. With 75% plus of kills on the first shot, reducing the minimal flip is inconsequential
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

I have an older model bisley blackhawk. Mine is very, very accurate and has a fine trigger, slightly heavy but zero slop and short travel. If I were looking to compete with it for accuracy, I might have the trigger worked over but for hunting, I would leave it alone. The action on mine is a bit gritty, and if you want to shoot a lot of rounds fast, it would require being worked over for sure. Here is the thing: you wanted to keep it cheap, and you wanted to hunt. My advice is to leave the trigger and action alone; those mods are for cowboy shooters or competitions, not for shooting 1-2 shots a day on a hunting trip. Unless the action or trigger are very, very bad on your particular gun, they should be fine for hunting.

Now, any competent gunsmith can port a barrel. Its not hard, you mill 2 cuts on top of the barrel out toward the end and the gas escapes, pushing out the top which presents a force downward to cancel out the recoil flip. I have had it done a few times, and have used muzzle breaks on rifles, and it *works*. In extreme examples of high quality muzzle breaks I have seen recoil cut by ~40% or more.

So I would get a quality handgun scope, get that mounted properly, and maybe do the porting if you find the gun is too much for you without it. Leave off the expensive action work (its pricy, even a touch up) and trigger job (not too pricy but totally unnecessary) unless something is very bad wrong with your piece.

One last thing to consider: if you get the gun ported, make sure the smith knows you plan to scope it too, as you want to keep the hot gasses and blast wave coming out of the port away from the scope!

[QUOTE=Jonnin;1729152]I have an older model bisley blackhawk. Mine is very, very accurate and has a fine trigger, slightly heavy but zero slop and short travel. If I were looking to compete with it for accuracy, I might have the trigger worked over but for hunting, I would leave it alone. The action on mine is a bit gritty, and if you want to shoot a lot of rounds fast, it would require being worked over for sure. Here is the thing: you wanted to keep it cheap, and you wanted to hunt. My advice is to leave the trigger and action alone; those mods are for cowboy shooters or competitions, not for shooting 1-2 shots a day on a hunting trip. Unless the action or trigger are very, very bad on your particular gun, they should be fine for hunting.

QUOTE]

I have to agree if all you want is an adequate hunter the work is not needed most likely. I shoot a lot of .44 magnum it is my favorite cartridge and I shoot target and hunting with it. I also prefer the balance of a 4-4.5 inch big bore revolver (3 inch in smaller), and at that time they did not make a 4 inch Redhawk. I had a theory that a 4.5 tube was optimum in the heavy Redhawk frame as a balance without excess muzzle weight. So, I wanted to see and find out. Since then having the opportunity to shoot the 4" my 4.5, a 5.5 and a 7 I feel vindicated as I feel it is the best balanced. This is of course for me only, others will feel differrently I am positive.

Plus I wanted something unique and with my 40th birthday coming, a present for myself, something to celebrate. So I took my favorite revolver and made it special. And do not regret it to this day, was money well spent. If you want something special, go for it, if all you wish for is a hunting piece you might wish to save the money and buy another handgun with it.
    Last edited by lee1959; 04-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.

If you want a smoother gun, you could just sell it and buy a S&W 629 Actually I can't see much needing done to it. You can smooth the trigger up some or have it smoothed up for you, but I'm not a fan of porting. As others has said, with a scope recoil shouldn't be an issue. Porting will just give you more noise and flash.