Thread: Ballistic tip bullets

Default Ballistic tip bullets

Guys,
    I have heard a little about hunters using ballistic tips. They brag of the damage and stopping power.
    I would like to know if the reason for the performance is purely muzzle velocity or something else. I think they were using 180gr, .223 cal.

180 grain .223? They must have been 5 feet away.

O_o 180gr .223's?? Since when has the average person been allowed to get their hands on depleted uranium??? But no really.... Their just fancier rounds. I've heard of some people complaining about shooting deer and stuff at really close ranges and the ballistic tipped bullets expanding so fast that it disintegrates quickly. Just a different type of bullet...
    For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.-Nelson Mandela

Guys,
    Sorry for the confusion on the .223,,,,I meant 270

why would you want to poison your food?

Mustang - Thought I'd share some of my experiences on desert mule deer over 20 years with a .270. The rifle was a 98 Mauser sporter with a Shilen barrel. Since I was already loading a 140gr Sierra HPBT (2915fps/ 1.1 MOA), I bought the first box of 140 gr Nosler Ballistic tips I could get my hands on (approx 20 years ago). Hunting accuracy was swell at 1" MOA and I bagged a nice buck, but this early bullet was just too frangible on really large game. Broke the shoulder blade and completely destroyed the left shoulder. Only bullet fragments even touched the right side of the rib cage. I went back to the Sierra load, but I'd bet by now Nosler has re-designed this bullet somewhat to hold together better. If in doubt, go to the Nosler Partition design. Regards.
    "You may fire when ready, Gridley" (Admiral Dewey at Manila Bay)

The ballistic tip acts as a "plunger" of sorts, which induces/amplifies expansion of the bullet. The advantage to having a ballistic tip over, say, a hollow point, or soft point, is that it retains a better aerodynamic profile at the tip of the bullet, reducing drag over the other types. It's like having the flight qualities of an FMJ, coupled with the expansion of a soft point.

John

mustang

The Ballistic Tip is the modern version of the 1920s Brass Point and Bronze Point. It has survived longer than any of the various patented protected point bullets because it works. Usually. After a fashion. As all bullet makers have found, there is no one expanding bullet design that works on all sizes of game animals at all velocities. The majority of the time, a well constructed soft point will get the job done but, you have to admit, the Ballistic Tips sure do look snazzy. Never underestimate looks.

l to r = Brass Point, Bronze Point, BP sectioned.

Ray

Any bullet expansion varies with velocity. I've shot whitetail with standard federal psp bullets up to 150 yards and had nothing but coffee grounds left over. The same bullet at 375 yards mushroomed and held together very nicely. The closer shots just explode because of the speed of the bullet. So if you took ballistic tip and tamed them down it is possible that they would hold together...somewhat.
    I base this off of my .280 and that is pretty close to a .270.
    WTS: 7 unopened P-Mag 30 round Gen M2 magazines. Find them here:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ASC-metal-mags

Award is correct. Another possibility is to use bullets such as the Interlock, Interbond, etc. from various companies. Check the specs on them to suit your specific needs. Usually, varmint bullets are made to "explode", but if you get into the ballistic tip bullets that are specifically designed for big game, you can have enough weight retention of the bullet, that you don't have to drink venison through a straw.

John

I have probally killed more whitetail with the .270 using nosler ballistic tips than any other bullet, some at 300 + yards and have never wounded or lost a whitetail, it is a wicked bullet but it does ruin more meat due to it's explosive performance. My son uses 165gr ballistic tips in his 30-06 and has killed a slew of deer also never losing one. Just one great bullet from 'NOSLER'