Thread: German Spade- UPDATE w photos

Default German Spade- UPDATE w photos

Hey All - I ran into a German Spade/entrenching tool at antique shop today but unfortunately I know very little about these. It was in pretty good condition and the leather strap/buckle was a little britle but fair. I didn't want to remove the spade from the leather sheath/jacket. However the tag on it says that it has the following markings. Otto Sindel Berlin 1938 and REX on the blade. Any ideas if these marking sound correct for a German WWII era piece? If so what's a fair price for this. Assume fair condition. The only drawback was that someone carved 2 initials in the handle. Thanks!!!!
    UPDATE - thanks for the advise all. Fortunately the antique was open today and I picked it up. Here are photos. Any feedback/info is greatly appreciated. (sorry about using a link but I cannot figure out how to use thumnails that does not take the viewer to my photobucket page???)
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/DSCN1289.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/DSCN1290.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/DSCN1291.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/DSCN1292.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/DSCN1293.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/DSCN1294.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/DSCN1295.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/DSCN1296.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/DSCN1297.jpg
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...8/DSCN1298.jpg
    Last edited by CosmicCharlie24; 05-08-2011 at 01:52 PM.
    "Its better to burn out than it is to rust". - Neil Young

Pictures would be a huge help.. Even from a cell phone...
    WANTED:
    -US World War One Militaria and Firearms
    -Any bolt mismatched K98. Any code.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer-86 View Post
    Pictures would be a huge help.. Even from a cell phone...
    I tried but they did not turn out in the lightening in the shop. If it matters this is the non-folding type. I've searched on e-bay and this board and there just don't seem to be too many.

Hello CosmicCharlie24. It sounds like it could be the real thing. German E-Tools don't pop up very often! It took me almost three years to find one with an original carrier for my WWII German field gear set up! I paid $85 for mine and was happy with it. The Germans produced their own but they used others from the countries that they occupied as well. German soldiers often carved or scratched their initials into their gear to show who it belonged to.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Hello CosmicCharlie24. It sounds like it could be the real thing. German E-Tools don't pop up very often! It took me almost three years to find one with an original carrier for my WWII German field gear set up! I paid $85 for mine and was happy with it. The Germans produced their own but they used others from the countries that they occupied as well. German soldiers often carved or scratched their initials into their gear to show who it belonged to.
    Very true.. But be careful not to overpay. You can find nice heer marked non-folding shovels all over the place for 75-100$, it's the carriers that are a bit tricky.. There are a lot of Foreign covers that aren't worth the leather they're built with.. The only thing one could say about them without seeing pictures is to watch out for SA markings.. Good luck!
    WANTED:

What are they asking for it? Does the leather carrier have any markings? You see more folding shovels than the non folding type.
    "If it ain't something, then it's something else," Robert Sherrill

Quote Originally Posted by BARQS19 View Post
    What are they asking for it? Does the leather carrier have any markings? You see more folding shovels than the non folding type.
    $60. I may be able to bring them down a bit. Unfortunately it was difficult to examine as the lightening wasn't great. It was a old, crowded antique shop with relatively poor lightening. I did not notice any markings on the carrier but that's not to say that there weren't any. The carrier did have a solid backing. In other words it covered the entire backside of the shovel and was not just a "frame" carrier. I'll try to pop back in some time.

I would hustle over there and pick it up asap.. The shovel alone is worth that, and from what you're saying the cover sounds legit as well.. Those if correct can go for 400-600$..
    WANTED:

Agree with all who advised you to run back to the shop and snap this unit up. All sounds good so far. Otto Sindel is a well known leather maker of the period. Looking forward to pics. Good luck!

Scott

Sounds like a go to me. Not my area of knowledge but for that price (or less) I can't see going to far wrong.

FWIW and for future reference, go out and buy one of those cheap white LED flashlights, get one that runs on AAA cells.

Just the thing to have in your pocket when trolling dark shops!

Also great for examining firearms as the bright white light exposes all the flaws in the blueing and faint stampings in the wood.

Default Shovel Observations

There are a few caveats with these. At one time I looked at very many of these on Fleabay, most of them offered by Bulgarian sellers, who are almost as trustworthy as Pakestanis; I bought one and a carrier described as post-war Bulgarian. Neither have any apparant manufacturer markings, but there IS a Slavic name, WNCK, and also what looks like JH-J carved into both sides of the shovel handle. ( I wouldn't consider probable soldier's identification of their gear exactly a "drawback" of an item showing legitimate field use. ) Rivets instead of stiching affirms the post-war date on the brown leather carrier. ( Wartime German ones would likely be press-stoff - cardboard! - instead of leather, with only leather belt loops. ) I saw a LOT of these Bulgarian straight shovels with the REX marking. I believe actual wartime German-made and used shovels would be marked like everything else - with a 3-letter code and waffenamt, just like the folding shovel I later bought is. One problem with these of course is that no doubt those left over from WWI saw later issue, not to forget that as Snowman pointed out, items from many other conquered/allied countries were also used. Does that make them any less "German"?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29476496_tp.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	427318 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0443.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	427310 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!BzeU7JwBWk~$(KGrHqF,!jUEw5!gEf)oBMWLpCDoGg~~_3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	427312 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29476484_tp.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	427315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!BzeU-M!EGk~$(KGrHqV,!jUEw44LNq9gBMWLpM14q!~~_3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	427316 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0a80_1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	427317 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!BzeU6Gw!2k~$(KGrHqN,!i0Ew5leyiIMBMWLo-dy9w~~_3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	427319 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pony Fur Backpack 003.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	427320

Here are some of mine, seen in their eBay listing photos, the Bulgarian ( with the red background ); its post-war carrier; markings on the klappspaten or folding shovel, agv 41 and a waffenamt; and finally a German-made and marked straight example, with a very faint obp. Note especially that the last one has a non-tapering handle made of a lighter wood, presumably European walnut, with more of a ball-shaped knob finial than the Bulgarian, with its darker, redder tapering wood and egg-shaped knob. In respect to the handle, both the folding and non-folding German ones are similar. In regards to the carriers, Lancer is correct that they're rarer and pricier than the shovels; since I wanted to 'hang mine up" ( not to mention COST ), I opted for reenactor repro leather ones!
    Last edited by James N.; 05-08-2011 at 01:04 PM.

I hate everything about it!!! It's terrible.. You should probably just sell that to me for 60$... : P. Excellent find! Congrats!!!
    WANTED:

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie24 View Post
    UPDATE - thanks for the advise all. Fortunately the antique was open today and I picked it up. Here are photos. Any feedback/info is greatly appreciated. (sorry about using a link but I cannot figure out how to use thumnails that does not take the viewer to my photobucket page???)
    Charlie,

Once you upload the pics to the 'bucket, hold your curser over the pic, and its info will come up, along with a little 'select' box in the middle. Select what pics you want, and then at the bottom of the screen, there is a option link for the 'selected' pics; click on that, then pick create links. On the next screen click 'full size images', or your choice - the links are automatically copied. Then paste in your post.

PM
    You have two lives; the life you learn with and the life you live with afterwards.
    Original keeper and frosch for a K98k sling; can be Yugo.
    Dad; 12/18/1938-1/17/2014

It is German Police marked. Otto Sindel made a lot of police gear. The eagle proof should have a letter in the center. Nice find...would like to find one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    It is German Police marked. Otto Sindel made a lot of police gear. The eagle proof should have a letter in the center. Nice find...would like to find one myself.
    Clay,

Great call out on the Police marking! Indeed Otto Sindel (though not exclusive) was a prolific supplier to the various German Police orgs.

This shovel story gets better every day. Quite a find Charles.

Scott

Thanks for the great info and feedback all. Its greatly appreciated. I'm happy with it and am glad to learn a little about it as well.