Default Question about building an 1897 trenchgun replica

I got a 97 model on GB with the 20" barrell, found someone who had a Numrich heatshield and have that coming. I see now that I need a magazine plug to hold the heat shield. Anything else I need to get? TIA, Joe
    Formerly "Uncle Joe".

You only need the plug if you have a takedown model. If you do have a takedown, I urge you not to do this to that fine old gun. You will be putting money into it and only end up having something that is worth less than what you started with.

If you want a trenchgun replica, get one of the Chinese copies of the model 97 and put that heat shield on it. It will look just as cool hanging on your wall and then you are not destroying a piece of history.

If you do go forward with this, you will also need a sling, rear stock sling swivel, and a bayonet. I mean the whole point here is to look cool, right? And if you donít have the sling and bayonet it just isnít worth doing.

You will also have to cut 3 groves in the underside of the bbl to allow the 3 mounting screws to go through. I would suggest that you get a gunsmith to do that for you. If they are not deep enough or out of place just a little you will dent the bbl putting the mounting screws in. If they are too deep you could seriously weaken the bbl.

The bbl should also stick out about 1/4" from the front end of the heat shield. if the shotgun already has a front bead, and I assume it dose, you will need to remove it and fill this hole.

Again, I urge you to do this to one of the Chinese copies.

I second 'Ranger Z.' You would be doing a variation of what we refer to as sporterizing- permanently altering a weapon from it's original configuration. That's been described as a good way to turn a $500 "collectible gun" into a $100 "used gun." Not a bright idea.

Another problem with altering original guns is the potential for creating a "fake." Please understand. --- I am not accusing you of faking anything.--- But we only get to possess these for a little while before they will pass on to another in their own time. Original 'trench guns' are high dollar items. It would be very easy, especially if ignorant of your modifications, for another to later, (knowingly or not) represent your gun as an original 'trench broom.' It has happened before.

But you can have your trench gun and enjoy it too. Again referring to "Ranger Z," there are Chinese copies of the model 1897 with, I believe, 20" bbl. You can modify those any way you darn well please and may even, within reason, get a return on what you put into it.
    "In times of trouble and of war, God and soldiers we adore;
    When wars are done and wrongs are righted, God's forgotten and the soldier slighted."
    Olde English proverb, origin unknown

I do not play the computer "friend" game, thing. Please do not "friend" me. I will gladly answer PMs if you want contact with me.

I wouldnt think it would only be worth $100.

I mean , that's the price of a used single shot

these days . Surely a bubba'd '97 would be worth

a lot more .

Fiveshot

"Surely a bubba'd '97 would be worth a lot more."

Valid point but only to a degree. I mostly concern myself with Mausers wherein the equation is valid. But even allowing for that, a "bubba'd '97" would not be worth "a lot more."
    keeping specifically to shotguns, I recently purchased two used shotguns for under $150, one for $170 and one for $200. Since much of the value of a model 1897 is in it's collectibility, a "bubba'd '97" would no longer be collectible and thereby reduced to the status of a "used shotgun" and therefore worth only in the vicinity of $200 or less. That's half or more beneath the market value of an unmodified example and rotten economics any way you slice it.

I grant a model 1897 sporting shotgun altered to look like a military model might draw nearly as much as an original, the potential risks for mis-identification with originals, intentional or not, remains.

I bothered to look up the Norinco trench gun copy. They can be had for under $400 and by all accounts, the quality isn't at all bad and about the only thing it lacks are a sling and bayonet. I haven't had one of these but I did have a Norinco sks. It was as well or better made than many modern American guns and never malfunctioned in the years I had it. I would not hesitate to buy one if that was where my interests lay.
    "In times of trouble and of war, God and soldiers we adore;
    When wars are done and wrongs are righted, God's forgotten and the soldier slighted."
    Olde English proverb, origin unknown

I do not play the computer "friend" game, thing. Please do not "friend" me. I will gladly answer PMs if you want contact with me.

No need to worry, I'm not doing anything permanent to the gun. The 1897 I bought was made in 1906 and has little blue left. I'm going to try my luck at antiquing the heat shield and bayonette. My sister does craft work for a living and will help me with this.
    The entire project should run under $600.00. More than a Chinese copy, but not that much more.
    Formerly "Uncle Joe".