Default Who Made 7/8" Scopes?

I put together a fake M1D from spare parts I collected over the years. I wanted something to play with that was cheaper than a CMP M1D. The only thing missing is a scope. I know the Alaskan is the proper fake scope but they are expensive now. Is there a similar 7/8" scope I could look for on eBay to fit my mounts? Is anybody making a 1" M1D mount? I have a nice K60-4 that would look good on it. Thanks!
    Last edited by w10085; 07-30-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Unclear if you have the 7/8" scope bracket. If you do, an Alaskan, or an M84 would be the way to go. Some 1" brackets were manufactured but I don't know about availability or prices if you can find one. The CMP vintage matches have put some pressure on values.

Regards,
    Jim

Thanks for the info but I'm trying to go cheaper than an Alaskan if possible. What other similar scopes were make with 7/8" diameter bodies?

Nobody else knows of a 7/8" body scope other than an Alaskan? Thanks!

I can't locate my copy at the moment but try to find a copy of Nick Stroebels "Old Rifle Scopes". i think it may have recently been reissued as "Old Rifle Scopes and Gunsights".

Another possibility look for an old Gun Digest form the 50's there is a catalog section in the back which gives scope specs. An old Shooters Bible (Stogers) Catalog would be another possibility.

Regards,
    Jim

Replicas of the Alaskan and m84 are being made. That may be a reasonable option.?

Weaver made several variations of 7/8 scopes in their early years that might do. There are usually several on ebay at any given time. A few that come to mind are the V22-A, D6 and D4. I have the V22-A on my vintage Marlin 39A. It's a 3X6 variable.

I know several folks that are serious shooters who have M84 repros and are very happy with them.

There is also the "Texan" 7/8 scopes, made by I believe the company that made the M84. These can sometimes be found
    pretty reasonably as no one seems to be familiar with them.

Quote Originally Posted by orygunKEO View Post
    There is also the "Texan" 7/8 scopes, made by I believe the company that made the M84. These can sometimes be found
    pretty reasonably as no one seems to be familiar with them.

Those would be the Weaver "El Paso" scopes and were/are the best.
    Vigilance in Living counteracts Stupidity in Dying
    Per Scintillam Flamma

I found the "Texan" scope I was thinking of. It's a Libby Owens Ford product. They were the prime contractor for the M84 series but also made a few hunting scopes.
    The only ones I've ever seen were 2 1/2 power "Texans", with 7/8 inch tubes and standard crosshairs. They are a pretty decent little scope.

I had completely forgotten about the L.O.F. scopes ! Yea, they are excellent and there is an old guy in Tulsa who repairs them. I've got one laying around here somewhere that I got at a GS for $25 IIRC.
    Vigilance in Living counteracts Stupidity in Dying
    Per Scintillam Flamma

The "TEXAN" scopes (there were several models with different tube diameters and magnifications) were made by the Norman Ford of Tyler, TX between 1953 and 1958.
    Back in March the CMP tentatively turned down the 3x Texan as an equivalent "non-issue" type scope in a reply to a post on the CMP forums. Personally I believe that was an error in judgement and is one of the things that the CMP should be petitioned on before next years matches.

Regards,
    Jim

Thanks for all the good info! I've got an M84 on my CMP M1D but I'm trying to go much cheaper on my fake M1D since it's just a play toy.

It's not really a "play toy", but if you wish to consider it as such, just mount a paintball, or airsoft scope on it.
    Last edited by Mike Hull; 08-13-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Mike