Gunboards Forums banner

Portuguese 8mm Ammo

11K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  haak48 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone

Yesterday I recieved my 4 boxes of surplus 8mm mauser ammo for my k98's. Its Portuguese production stamped FNM. The ammo came in 90 round "packed loose" boxes marked "BALA NORMAL". Production dates are 71-13 and 71-17. The brass looks super clean except for one box where I would say there are at least 15 "dirty looking" rounds. These dates would mean that this ammo is definately non-corrosive... Correct? :)

#5 ·
Before I say this, I'll point out that what has been posted above is the general consensus on this stuff and I have no reason to doubt what these guys are saying, as I trust them and their experience. I've also heard similar reports from many others. However....

I have a small batch of FNM 6-61. By appearance, it's obviously not new production ammo, but it still looks to be in very good condition for it's age. However, it produces a lot of hang-fires, misfires and some that just won't go off, at all. Also, of the ones that do go off, there's a notable difference in report and recoil. IIRC, when I chronographed this stuff, I was getting extreme spreads in the neighborhood of 800fps! So, if I were buying more Portuguese ammo, I would probably stick to the newer stuff (1970's) and would certainly avoid anything with the 6-61 headstamp, only from my own experience.

John

#14 ·
Joop:
When do you suppose your 6-61 ammo was made - possibly 2006? The FNM coding is as follows: 1st number is for year of manufacture, 2nd number is the lot no. for that caliber for that year.

I understand that the FNM factory is no longer in business. Do you know when they went out of business?
Bob

#7 ·
Hahaha Maximus!!

Sound good guys, can't wait to test it out next week and give some details on performance!

Now getting to the price, I paid $185 for the 4 boxes, 360
rounds total plus shipping of $25. The s&b which I totally love (high power, consistent, non corrosive new production) are around 22 bucks for 20 rounds plus shipping of course. So if these are are nice as you gents say, then I'm thinking It was a good deal indeed! What do you guys think?

#10 ·
Boxer or Berdan?

Pat

#12 ·
Man, I wish I could get my hands on a crate! Too bad I can't find anyone that sells it....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.