Gunboards Forums banner

Astra A-60

27K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  kerreckt 
#1 ·
Any other A-60 owners out there. I have two and think they are an excellent if not the best .380 pistol. Never a single problem after 2000-3000 rounds. Well balanced, nice lines. I think I'm in love. Any other opinions?

#14 ·
Astras

I have a Constiable, but the 60 slipped my notice all these years. Like the looks and I'd spring for one if it came along. Encountered a M-300 recently in 7.65, subperbly made little pistol. For serious social work I like the Astra A-75s ,DA ,accuracte, reliable, and they WERE made in 9, 40, and 45. seems to me S&W copied these in their "Chief Special" autos of the same calibers

#15 · (Edited)
keep the thread alive

We gotta put some life back into this thread! :thumbsup: I recently got this pistol, without a magazine, from Gunbroker for $170 + $25 shipping to FFL. Had to get a Beretta 84 .380 magazine and cut a new slot slightly above the original slot on the magazine. The new slot on the mag is "low" so the mag itself is seated a bit high inside the mag-well and feeds succeeding cartridges kinda roughly, sometime not at all. Waiting for some Wolff recoil springs to try out so as to make the slide push forward better and help alleviate cartridge feed issues. Well, pretty soon I will completely disassemble (break down) the pistol, and re-fnish some parts maybe with Duracoat and reassemble. Ya, gonna take pictures too of everything and post them here eventually... In the mean-time there's a short wiki article and a parts list diagram (gunboards reduced the resolution) ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_A-60

click on these thumbnails to see a larger version:

more photos online imgur http://imgur.com/a/NIQWl/embed#0

Cheers!

Attachments

#16 ·
more A-60 disassembly (take-down)

Took it apart as much as I could or feel "safe" with doing. I can't figure out how to remove the extractor, extractor retainer, extractor spring or the rear sight piece from the slide (upper receiver). Also don't know how to remove the barrel or the magazine catch (button) from the frame (lower receiver), even after taking out all the pins and retainers I found on the frame. Oh well... Maybe I can paint it with Duracoat anyway.

​click on the thumbnails to see a larger version.
disassembly

other miscellaneous

#17 ·
I much prefer the Astra A-60 as a combat pistol over the Constable series.

The width in this case enhances the grip quite a bit over the single stack Constable and feel of the grip on the A-60 is superior to the stock plastics on the Constable (although wood definitely enhances.) I run my A-60 as smoothly and accurately as my Beretta 85 and CZ-83. Love the trigger on the A-60. Unfortunately, finding one as nice as Group17's has proven to be difficult. I've cerakoted the slide on mine and it's a nice durable finish. But the smith who did the finish work LOST my rear sight blade during the process. Anyone have an extra rear sight blade from a Constable or A-60 lying around? :)

#25 ·
The mag release slot needs to be re-cut. Remove the grips from your Astra, and the magazine (if any) (and make sure it's unloaded). Slide the Beretta magazine up into the magwell. From the right-hand-side you'll see that the mag release slot doesn't line up with the mag release. Use a scribe or awl and scratch markings on both slides of the mag release where the new slot should be. Then remove the magazine and use a Dremel tool to cut out a new mag release slot.

#24 ·
tx_oil,

Log onto CASTBOOLITS.GUNLOADS.COM/SHOWTHREAD.PHP? and search for converting a Beretta 84 Cheetah magazine to fit the Astra A-60. It has a write up on how
to convert the mag to work in the Astra A-60. There is also a picture of a magazine that has been converted for the Astra. Good Luck...

#26 ·
Still in love with my A-60. It is my everyday carry gun. Just bought another. Now I have three. I will be giving some away to my sons. I am always on the hunt for A-60s. Still believe it is the best 380 out there. Original mags are still out there but hard to find. I bought 4/$100 still in their Interarms packaging about six months ago. Diligence pays off. Best wishes.

#27 ·
Questions about Astra A-60

A few things. First if I'm in the market for one of these, where would you guys suggest I start looking for one?

Second, which gunsmith would be consider the best to restore and Astra A-60?

Third, explain the safety to me? It appears ambidextrous, is it? Is it a Decocker as well? Or just a safety?

Last, it holds 13 in the mag, right? So it would be considered a double stack as opposed to a single stack, right?

That's about it, but any comments about the gun, finding one, restoring it, parts, etc.... would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

#28 ·
It is an ambidextrous safety which does decock the pistol. It is considered a double stack. I have three of theses pistols ( one for me and one for each of my two sons). I have a total of eight magazines which are all Astra from Interarms. Curiously, six of them are thirteen the other two are much happier with twelve in them. I could probably squeeze the thirteenth round but not my style to force something beyond the normal feel. Mine are all dead on accurate. I would put it against any pistol of its kind. Accurate, dependable and beauty to the eye. Pawnshops are the place to look for these. Best wishes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.