Thread: Best water repellent fabric treatment?

Question Best water repellent fabric treatment?

So got a nice surprise from the wife when she made me a German WWII style mountain anorak (with the three pockets in front made to fit an AK-74 mag in each) in Multicam. So now need to treat the fabric with some sort of water repellent. A 10th Inf friend reccomended this product:

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nikwax.html

but was wondering if anyone had any other recomendations?

Thanks.

Don't know about that product, but you want something that is also flame resistant, and probably also U.V. neutralizing, as well as water repellant.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

When I still used to hunt I sprayed my outerwear coat, pants with a product that left the surface wet for awhile. Stunk like heck. After it dried you would really have to be in a severe storm to even penetrate the cloth. Was also reported to be a UV neutralizer as well.
    But darned if I can remember the name. Try a well stocked sporting and hunting shop and see what they suggest. Frank

I've had decent results with this:

http://www.atsko.com/products/waterp...ter-guard.html

Nixwax does make good products I've just never used it to try and instill water proofing.

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

In the Everglades we use a product called Camp Dry We get it at Wallmart or at Bass Pro Shop in the camping dept. Also If it is a large surface such as a tarp Thompsons water seal or equiv. works well. (It will burn though)
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

Hey Green,
    As a motorcyclist I have need to keep some of my gear waterproofed and have used both the wash in and spray on products at the top of the list in your link. They are both excellent, so I would highly recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Soylent_Green View Post
    So got a nice surprise from the wife when she made me a German WWII style mountain anorak (with the three pockets in front made to fit an AK-74 mag in each) in Multicam. So now need to treat the fabric with some sort of water repellent. A 10th Inf friend reccomended this product:

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nikwax.html

but was wondering if anyone had any other recomendations?

Thanks.
    Dean

Four boxes secure our freedom. The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Camp B Dry worked well on my boat cover. A generic substitute from West Marine did not. It produced a dry rot like condition that led to multiple tearing and the need to replace the $800 six year old cover. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat46 View Post
    In the Everglades we use a product called Camp Dry We get it at Wallmart or at Bass Pro Shop in the camping dept. Also If it is a large surface such as a tarp Thompsons water seal or equiv. works well. (It will burn though)
    use it on my capes for renfaires. show must go on rain snow heat etc. repels rain and snow. i shake it and it is like a dog shaking, water goes everywhere. onmy wool cape it has a lot of lanoilin still in it that gioves even more waterproofing

what if you just wanted to water-proof a holster? Thats what i am considering doing. Probably a canvas holster....

Camp dry
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

could you waterproof a leather makarov holster? I am looking at waterproofing a holster for my makarov, for carry on my family land, and it'd be nice if it was waterproof......

leather? I bought some Irish Setter (Red Wing) water proofing where I buy my steel toes and It worked really well.
    Oldgoat46

Default Try some Hunt-Dri from Outback Technologies

Have been using it on my gear for years. It's the best you can buy. I think you can find them online at staydri.com.

mink oil for leather has worked well for me over the yrs

the only thing I have ever used was mink oil. It seems to work well, but you have to work it in to the surface. I would like to try something else if easier and works as well.
    "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?