Gunboards Forums banner

Best water repellent fabric treatment?

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  shucks 
#1 ·
So got a nice surprise from the wife when she made me a German WWII style mountain anorak (with the three pockets in front made to fit an AK-74 mag in each) in Multicam. So now need to treat the fabric with some sort of water repellent. A 10th Inf friend reccomended this product:

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nikwax.html

but was wondering if anyone had any other recomendations?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Don't know about that product, but you want something that is also flame resistant, and probably also U.V. neutralizing, as well as water repellant.

#3 ·
When I still used to hunt I sprayed my outerwear coat, pants with a product that left the surface wet for awhile. Stunk like heck. After it dried you would really have to be in a severe storm to even penetrate the cloth. Was also reported to be a UV neutralizer as well.
But darned if I can remember the name. Try a well stocked sporting and hunting shop and see what they suggest. Frank

#5 ·
In the Everglades we use a product called Camp Dry We get it at Wallmart or at Bass Pro Shop in the camping dept. Also If it is a large surface such as a tarp Thompsons water seal or equiv. works well. (It will burn though)

#6 ·
Hey Green,
As a motorcyclist I have need to keep some of my gear waterproofed and have used both the wash in and spray on products at the top of the list in your link. They are both excellent, so I would highly recommend them.

So got a nice surprise from the wife when she made me a German WWII style mountain anorak (with the three pockets in front made to fit an AK-74 mag in each) in Multicam. So now need to treat the fabric with some sort of water repellent. A 10th Inf friend reccomended this product:

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nikwax.html

but was wondering if anyone had any other recomendations?

Thanks.

#15 ·
the only thing I have ever used was mink oil. It seems to work well, but you have to work it in to the surface. I would like to try something else if easier and works as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.