Thread: .410 shotguns and .45-70?

Default .410 shotguns and .45-70?

Anyone know if the common .410 shotgun can generally handle .45-70? How about .45/100? Project is related to ignition systems, not accuracy or even practicality in the prototype, so it's strength I'm more concerned about. That, and case support. Anyone know if those big old military type .45 cases split in .410s?

Thanks. This is for a test stand remote-firing application only. I'm neither mean nor stupid enough to blame anyone else if the thing blows up, so please let me know what you think. Actually -- at this point blowing one up would almost be welcome, as I've hit a dry patch for ignition with the current prototype.

Generally, shotguns, can't stand the pressures generated by rifle/pistol cartridges. I talked to a gunsmith, that lined a .410 barrel, to .22 magnum. After remote firing, the chamber area was the size of a baseball! I remember when I was a kid, some of the guys at school, would deer hunt, with a .410, loaded with .45/.44 pistol shells, and got away with it. But then, you can have unprotected sex for years, with no problems. All it takes, is once.

Even if the 410 were able to handle rifle cartridge pressures, you'd be forcing a .459 bullet down a 41 caliber tube. Not the brightest idea IMHO. The 45/410 convertibles out there are 45's using a 410 shotshell. Not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    Anyone know if the common .410 shotgun can generally handle .45-70? How about .45/100? Project is related to ignition systems, not accuracy or even practicality in the prototype, so it's strength I'm more concerned about. That, and case support. Anyone know if those big old military type .45 cases split in .410s?

Thanks. This is for a test stand remote-firing application only. I'm neither mean nor stupid enough to blame anyone else if the thing blows up, so please let me know what you think. Actually -- at this point blowing one up would almost be welcome, as I've hit a dry patch for ignition with the current prototype.
    ALL shotguns are made for maximum pressure of 12,000psi or a touch less (11,500-11,900) (the 3.5" 12-gauge is an exception, 13,500psi I believe).
    The 45-70 black powder loads are in the 18,000psi range.
    Sure as HEII not 45-100.

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay. Won't waste a rabbit gun on that effort. I'll just have to bump up to a Sharps reproduction or some such creature and do the thing right. Will be more fun that way, anyway. Thanks.

This is a whoooole lot cheaper than a Sharps. And, you can find a used one. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/55050