Default Replica Wooden shipping/storage crate/box for 1859/63 SHARPS Carbines

Hi guys,

I wanna build or buy a replica wooden crate to display alongside my 1863 Sharps carbine,I cant seem to find any pics on the net.

Anybody have one or photos of an orignial one?

Something along these lines?

http://www.cal-graf.com/singlew.html

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Something along these lines?

http://www.cal-graf.com/singlew.html

Hi there,

No thats not it, but thanks for the info.

I am looking for a replica Civil War wooden ARSENAL/ARMORY shippment or storage crate/box that Sharps Carbines were stored in. I know somebody has got to have a reproduction made up, I just havent been able to locate one.

There is a scene in DANCES WITH WOLVES,,,,where Kevin Costner is burying is excess supplies........and they show SHARPS Carbine boxes........thats where I got my idea at to get one made for my 1863 model SHarps carbine.

Google up the Blockade Runner Sutler's website. They can probably help you.

Shouldn't you make one that is for, and says, "Bibles"?

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do
    not.."~ Elmer Fudd......

Quote Originally Posted by Hocka Louis View Post
    Shouldn't you make one that is for, and says, "Bibles"?

If we were in stuck in the antibellum period of the 1850's............then I'd say yes.......lol

But my answer is still no.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffy 25th IA View Post

Now this is getting closer...............but these boxes..........are for PERSONAL use for owners storing 1 or 2 muskets, ect....

I am looking for a replica ARMORY storage crate........that would have held 6/8 or 10 sharps carbines.

Call Springfield Armory Museum in Mass., ask for a curator, and see if they can direct you somewhere...

First of all, I would get hold of a copy of the Civil War era "The Ordnance Manual." This was originally published by the Ordnance Department and gave all sorts of information governing arms, equipment, etc. Go to your local library and they can probably get you one thru the Interlibrary Loan Service. By the way, what is probably available is one of the several reprints that have been made over the years.

Another place to check would be to contact:

Thomas Publications
    P.O. Box 3031
    Gettysburg, PA 17325

Mr. Dean S. Thomas has written several books on Civil War ammunition and ordnance in his "Roundball to Rimfire" series of books. He can possibly be very helpful as he had done a lot of research on Civil War era Carbines and ammo.

I just ran across in the 4th Volume (entitled "Part 4") of Dean S. Thomas' Round Ball to Rimfire series of books.

On page 193: "The State of Georgia,however, became the largest Southern buyer [of Sharps New Model 1859 Carbines] when it was reported that 'There arrived by the steamer The City of Hartford, from Hartford, 180 cases of Sharps patent carbines, containing ten pieces each...' "

You can probably work up the dimensions of the Sharp's boxes because the carbines were probably boxed in two layers of 5 carbines each. Paint the outside of the boxes olive drab and put rope handles on each end and you probably have it. Use a stencil to mark the end of the boxes something like "10 Carbines, Sharps patent"

On a side note, the State of Georgia negotiated a deal where the state would pay the Sharps Company a cash down payment for the carbines and the balance of the order was paid for with 6% Georgia [War] Bonds!!!!

Eh...Eh...Eh...