Default how far away do you practice your shooting

how far do you set your targets to shoot at and practice? i do 13 yards generally (i used 13 yards because the ruger lcp is about good for it). it seems semi practical to have decent practice at that but am i too close? what do you do.

once 225 yards, range taken by FEMA convert into trailer parks......
    now 200 /100 at new farther away range 4 times a year with high power rifles.
    100, 75,50, .22 rifles,
    50, 25, 15, pistols.......
    bow 35, 25, 15 yards.....
    skeet.....what every the correct distances are?

With a handgun and shooting for groups and control, 25 yrds.
    For rapid fire, around 7 yrds or closer.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

Quote Originally Posted by odfairfaxsub View Post
    how far do you set your targets to shoot at and practice? i do 13 yards generally (i used 13 yards because the ruger lcp is about good for it). it seems semi practical to have decent practice at that but am i too close? what do you do.
    Handgun, everything from arm-length point shooting ("hip-shooting" aka "shooting from retention") to 25 yards or so with a handgun. I do not hunt with my handguns and can hold up a 6-8 inch grouping easilly that 25 yards in self-defence shooting (I am not trying to shoot eggs or pick an eye-socket @ 25 yards, I can better that accuracy a great deal (about 1/2) if shooting "bullseye slow-fire").

Rifle, 100-250 yards or so.

.45 Carbine, 10 feet to 75-80 yards, often when walking.

Shotguns, 20 feet or so minimum, fixed or airborne, 50-60 yards or so maximum on airborne stuff, small, 4" airborne stuff.

born & raised in central Kansas, Moved w/ job to West TX in "95"

As for modern handguns.
    I match the range to the gun.
    Mouseguns = 7-15 yards regardless of caliber.
    Rimfire w/ 4" + barrel = 7-50 yards.
    Centerfire w/ 4" + barrel = 25-75 yards.
    JDD

Defensive handgun - rapid fire 7 yds.
    Target handgun (I rarely do this.)

For me, the handgun has but one purpose: Self-defense. I practice COM shots at the average engagement range.

Centerfire Rifle (iron sights) 50 yds.
    Centerfire Rifle (scoped) 100-300 yds.

Rimfire Rifle (iron sights) 25-50 yards
    Rimfire Rifle (scoped) 50-100 yds.

My rifle practice primarily is used for hunting purposes. I play with my MilSurps at iron sight ranges that my old eyes can see.

Pistol: 9mm & 45acp: 25 and 50 yards. No challenge to shoot targets closer.
    Riflle: iron sights: no less than 100 yds till my eyes go out
    Rifle : scoped: as far as I can see the bull and not blank it out with reticle.

Od: 13 yds with a 380 is mighty fine for that kind of pistol, my daughters
    will do it but hardly the size of groups you are getting with the Ruger LCP. At 7
    yards, her LCP is a 10 inch pattern. Sights and trigger pull influence that but
    the pistol is hardly a hard use type shooting iron. For the purpose made, it
    performs fine within limitations.

15 feet - NAA mini revolver
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

For defense practice, from about two arm lengths out to about 25 feet, and everywhere in between.
    Arms lengths is generally done with my Kahr PM9 carry gun for what I may encounter out on the street, longer is with my P89 and 1911 for what may occur in my home.

1911 and P89 for practicing bullseye or IPSC style is at about 25 yards.

.357 and .44 mag is 25 yards out to 200 yards.
    "Conceal Carry. Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

.357 and .44 mag is 25 yards out to 200 yards.

Well done and in the foot steps of old Elmer Keith who had great long distance success with
    hand guns and its worth reading about in book "Six Guns". His technique works well

7 to 25 yds for practical shooting. Target out to 50 yds.
    Vigilance in Living counteracts Stupidity in Dying
    Per Scintillam Flamma

When I was a sailor in the U S Navy

it was 50 yards with the venerable

1911 pistol . Always 50 yards .

FIVESHOT

I would like to throw in here the need to become accustomed to your defensive handguns with your off hand. I am right handed but the only time I ever HAD to use a defensive handgun was when a dog attacked me in a local park and was attached to my right arm. I dispatched that animal, still twisting in the flesh of my right arm with three point blank shots from my S&W 640. Ever since then I have made it a habit to always make time to shoot left handed at differing ranges. As to the actual question, I shoot at anywhere from 15 feet out to 25 yards for defensive handguns.

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

Generally 10-15 yards. For me a pistol is a defensive weapon.
    Charlie

mostly at about 25 yards. I do some 50-200 yard from time to time for fun, and some 10-15 yard stuff on a couple of less accurate guns. 200 is only with my 223 handgun which has a scope, 100 is with magnums that shoot flat enough to go there, and 50 or less is with accurate "normal" handguns.

For rapid fire/defense practice, 10,15 and 25 yards or so. If they are farther away than 25 I am going to aim more carefully, or better yet, trust they are not too good a shot and run for it...

13 yards is a bit close. A strong attacker can get to you really fast from that short a range, yet it is also about the range you can expect to have to fight at. Attackers do not get 30 yards out and yell for you to drop your wallet and put your hands in the air, they get right up on you... the only time you will be shooting much more than 10 yards would be in a home invasion or third person scenario (they are attacking someone else and you stumble onto the scene). In a home invasion, you probably have something better than a pocket pistol...

It's about 25 miles to my favorite range; once there the distance I shoot depends on the weapon of the day!

Anything from 10 feet for a derringer to 200 yards for a rifle.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

At the Ft Lewis Sportsman's Range, where I do most of my shooting, the pistol targets are at 25' and 50'. Generally, I like to train as I would fight. Anything within 3" of center-of-mass is, in that context, a good hit. I doubt that I will ever have a legally defensible reason to engage a target more than 50' away. So, for the most part, I just fire as quickly as I can get an adequate sight picture. Maybe I will fire about 200 rounds like this at either distance. Then I will do another 50-100 rounds carefully-aimed, just to lock into my mind what a good sight picture would look like.

Most times, a civilian will have little reason to be more precise than that. Only in a real OH (BLEEP!) situation are most of us ever going to have to engage another person as a target. I would not count on having time to rehearse in my mind the steady hold and proper sight picture and all that. My main concern is that I should be able to put enough lead into that 6" box to disuade an orc from doing me any harm. I rarely shoot competitively, but usually do respectably well at it.

I do occassionally go to a commercial range where I can bring a target within 3' of me. There is the one scenario, in which a bad guy has a gun to someone else's head, in which you have to be able to put a round right in the bad guy's mouth. Aside from that, head shots are just absurdly risky. It is useful to know how to do it, in case, against all odds, you find yourself in that situation.

I would like to throw in here the need to become accustomed to your defensive handguns with your off hand. I am right handed but the only time I ever HAD to use a defensive handgun was when a dog attacked me in a local park and was attached to my right arm. I dispatched that animal, still twisting in the flesh of my right arm with three point blank shots from my S&W 640. Ever since then I have made it a habit to always make time to shoot left handed at differing ranges. As to the actual question, I shoot at anywhere from 15 feet out to 25 yards for defensive handguns.

i had a range officer tell me to practice for that very reason. he said, some of the time if it should happen your shooting arm will be in peril. practice w your other and it will also help with trigger controll

Quote Originally Posted by leftysergeant View Post
    At the Ft Lewis Sportsman's Range, where I do most of my shooting, the pistol targets are at 25' and 50'. Generally, I like to train as I would fight. Anything within 3" of center-of-mass is, in that context, a good hit. I doubt that I will ever have a legally defensible reason to engage a target more than 50' away. So, for the most part, I just fire as quickly as I can get an adequate sight picture. Maybe I will fire about 200 rounds like this at either distance. Then I will do another 50-100 rounds carefully-aimed, just to lock into my mind what a good sight picture would look like.

Most times, a civilian will have little reason to be more precise than that. Only in a real OH (BLEEP!) situation are most of us ever going to have to engage another person as a target. I would not count on having time to rehearse in my mind the steady hold and proper sight picture and all that. My main concern is that I should be able to put enough lead into that 6" box to disuade an orc from doing me any harm. I rarely shoot competitively, but usually do respectably well at it.

I do occassionally go to a commercial range where I can bring a target within 3' of me. There is the one scenario, in which a bad guy has a gun to someone else's head, in which you have to be able to put a round right in the bad guy's mouth. Aside from that, head shots are just absurdly risky. It is useful to know how to do it, in case, against all odds, you find yourself in that situation.
    I agree. My longer range stuff is for potential hunting (strongly considering going pistol hunting).