Default Romanian SKS Value??

Found a VG + Romanian at a show today with proper dark leather sling. It was marked as a Russian with $300 asking price. It was dated 1955. I Have a 1958 in about same condition that I paid $275(?) when they first came to market a few years back, but haven't kept up with prices. Appreciate comments ASAP.

I'll have to dig out the book, but I don't think Romania produced an SKS in 55.
    Someone here will chime in......

Romanian SKS production did not start until 1957...it sounds like you have found a 1955 dated Russian SKS.

$300 would be a good price for an all-matching 1955 dated Russian SKS.

THANKS- now I have to check it out Tomorrow. I just checked the left side of my 58's receiver and I "remember" the one at the show was the same style marking BUT 1955(??) I really only glanced at it as I was looking at some Finn Mosin Nagants on the same rack.

IF it is a Romanian and say 57 or 58 etc what are they selling for?? THANKS again.

It should be marked on the side with a Triangle with an Up Arrow inside.

If its all matching.....the way prices are going, doesn't sound too bad on the price (maybe just a tick high).........

Quote Originally Posted by TheKid View Post
    It should be marked on the side with a Triangle with an Up Arrow inside.

If its all matching.....the way prices are going, doesn't sound too bad on the price (maybe just a tick high).........

Thanks, Yes- like my'58, problem is I didn't look that close and didn't give it much thought until the hour+ ride home And I'm sure there was room for the seller to come down.

rocker98 is offline Diamond with Gold Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member

Attachment 37665

1957 would be the first year.

Gary
    Gary

***WARNING*** Mosins breed like rabbits!

"In shallow men the fish of little thoughts cause much commotion. In oceanic minds the whales of inspiration make hardly a ruffle." SRI PARAMHANSA YOGANANDA

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. Gerald R. Ford

"You are never dead, as long as you are remembered"

Quote Originally Posted by rocker98 View Post
    Attachment 37665

1957 would be the first year.

Gary

That looks like a nice one, with a low 2 digit serial #.

Thumbs up Romanian SKS date of manufacture

I have heard a number of different years of manufacture for the Romanian SKS. I understand the official Romanian designation is "Model 1965" rifle/carbine. I have even tryed to contact the arsenal where these rifles were built, but never received an answer to my questions. I have heard that the rifle (SKS) was Mfg. from 1956 thru 1960 or 1962. I have seen rifles dated 1957 thru 1960. The first time I saw a Romanian was from a friend of mine that brought it back from Vietnam. At the time they were not even known to exist, as some collectors first thought they were Russian due to the type of arsenal marks.
    I would hope that one day we will be able to find more information on these SKS's that were sent to Vietnam from the different Warsaw Pact countries and there allies. The only SKS version that was not used in Vietnam was the Albanian. The Yugo 59/66 was even used in Vietnam in small numbers. If anybody has information on the Romanian SKS as far as number of rifles built and the number of years I would be quite interested. The Romanian to me is a much harder SKS to find in excellent condition then the Russians, as most that I come across are mismatched, stock XXX out and renumbered and look like they have been used to dig ditches.
    Tex

Default Romanian correct designation "Model 1956" SKS

Im sorry but I got my fingers messed up when writing. The correct designation is "Model 1956" SKS for the Romanian model.
    Tex