Thread: Converting a PPS43 to 9mm

Default Converting a PPS43 to 9mm

What I need to know is how to remove the Barrel. Do you just press the pin and remove the barrel through the receiver, without taking the Barrel shroud and trunnion off . Attachment 437480Attachment 437479
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pps43 barrel pin 003.jpg  
    Last edited by budliteguy; 06-13-2011 at 12:11 AM.

the suomi barrel is way way bigger than the pps, you might look into the kp44, its basically a pps that uses suomi drums and sticks. the suomi doesnt have a trunion per say, the barrel goes right onto the milled receiver and has big notches in the back of the barrel. it slides on and turns about 90 degrees untill it locks up
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd rather be right than politically correct

Obama loves america like OJ loved Nicole

looking for PU scope #b07850,and PEM #b27948, i have its rifle, also looking for a 1896ish dated sestroryetsk barrel

check out the pics of my 1895 winchester russian contract rifle in 762x54 and All remington stamped mosin trainer with 03 bayonet lug, 1927 izhvesk dragoon , instructie 91/30 rifle and others in my albums

I re-worded the thread, Just need to know how to remove and replace the barrel. I found a replacement PPS-43 9mm barrel. Just need to know how to remove and replace and head space. If it is really complicated, the name of a Good gunsmith that will do it.

Just pop the pin and the barrel slides out of the receiver from the rear...you may have to tap the barrel from the front with a wooden dowel road and a hammer....
    GOD BLESS AMERICA...LOCK & LOAD

Thanks

Ok Tried to knock pin out with a pin punch, could not get it to move. Looks like it is going to take a press!!!!!!!!
    Just my luck!!!!!!

Does that bigass rivet go through the trunnion into the barrel?

I dont think it does. What everyone has told me that you just knock out the pin on the side and the barrel will come out though the recevier. But That pin is tight. I think I need to get it pressed out. I dont believe a pin punch and hammer will do it.

Is it a taper pin? I've never had a straight pin not move with the right impact. Are the ends of the pin expanded similar to a rivet?
    I'm curious because I have the same gun and want to put a longer barrel on it so I can open the stock without going through the SBR b.s.

Where did you find the 9mm PPS-43 barrel??

Quote Originally Posted by budliteguy View Post
    Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by budliteguy View Post
    Ok Tried to knock pin out with a pin punch, could not get it to move. Looks like it is going to take a press!!!!!!!!
    Just my luck!!!!!!
    Ever get the barrel off?

the rivit thru the bottom of the trunion doesnt go into the barrel, its rivited into the receiver shell and the barrel is slid in after, +1 on using a press.mine was in pretty tight and the rivit was dragging on the barrel when i pulled mine out

has anybody had problems with the mags feeding a 9mm? i know guys have used the pps barrels for ak's, but most of them them made a feedramp. i might be up for changing to 9mm as its alot cheaper to feed than the x25 cases
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd rather be right than politically correct

Obama loves america like OJ loved Nicole

looking for PU scope #b07850,and PEM #b27948, i have its rifle, also looking for a 1896ish dated sestroryetsk barrel

check out the pics of my 1895 winchester russian contract rifle in 762x54 and All remington stamped mosin trainer with 03 bayonet lug, 1927 izhvesk dragoon , instructie 91/30 rifle and others in my albums

Sending it to the Gunsmith Next week. I tried a hammer and pin punch "It will take a press", that pin is in there tight. I will post updates on the barrel switch out. I did find 1 box of polish surplus at a Gunshow this weekend That was all the 7.62x25 that was there. I want to run it through it before I send it out to get the barrel removed. I think I will also run it by the gunsmith to see about tapping the trunnion and using a threaded pin to hold the barrel instead of a press pin. that would make it easier switching out the barrels back to 7.62 if ammo ever comes available at a good price again. My understanding is the mag will work with 9mm with out any work done to them.

Will the 9mm barrels work with 9x18 makarov ammo? Thanks, Joel

The only barrels I have seen listed are 9mm Luger. Not the 9x18mm makarov ammo

Quote Originally Posted by joel6180 View Post
    Will the 9mm barrels work with 9x18 makarov ammo? Thanks, Joel
    9x18 won't headspace properly in a 9x19 barrel.

9x18 mak is actually 9.2 mm wide - .364" bullets are commonly used.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of Democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." George Orwell