Default turkish forestry carbine

received my turk forestry carbine from an auction here in australia, small crack behind tang, easy fix, all metal pretty good, bore is good plus, but the good news is, away having a weekend target shoot, old mate turns up with assorted bits and pieces for sale, you guessed it, a 3 round clip $5, bit rusty, but usable, how good is that. just needed to share, regards, john .

so, i get home and try to fit 8mm lebel ammo in the 3 round clip, no go by a long way. thought i knew a bit about guns and stuff, havent heard of anything else that takes a 3 round charger, got me beat, any ideas anyone?

OK found it, 6.5 dutch mannlicher, i learn something new everyday!

John,

Thanks for sharing, could you post pictures of that carbine and its markings.

kelt

Bought one of these French things yrs back condition was good at best. Never figured why with all their mausers they went with a French Beither

wink2 This is what I've heard . . . .

This is information that I have gleaned from this and other forums over the years.
    One of Turkey's greatest natural resources was its vast stands of Circasian Walnut forest. In the 1940's, illegal logging of these trees was a thriving black market. It has been widely reported that the Turkish government wished to arm its forestry officials who were confronting armed tree poachers. Turkey had in its possession a quantity of WW2 era Berthier long rifles which were chosen as a basis for a lightweight Mannlicher-styled carbine that would fire a round unlike anything commonly available in Turkey. The rifles which were converted by the Turkish Government to the Forestry Carbine configuration were originally all long rifles surrendered by Vichy French retreating into Turkey to escape the Allied armies recapturing North Africa during the Second World War.
    This was done on purpose so that wounded poachers presenting themselves at hospitals could not argue that the bullets retrieved from their wounds came from anywhere other than a forestry official's rifle, thus placing them at the scene of the crime.
    Regards, Hank
    Augment & Finagle . . . .
    "I collect therefore I accumulate"

Possibly some Vichy French forces in Syria went into Turkey because they did not want to fight the Free French forces. I see no way for Vichy French forces from Northwest Africa to cross Egypt and get to Turkey.

With the fall of France in 1940 during World War II, Syria came under the control of the Vichy Government until the British and Free Frenchinvaded and occupied the country in July 1941. Syria proclaimed its independence again in 1941 but it wasn't until January 1, 1944, that it was recognized as an independent republic.

Here is whole thread on the subject ....
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...highlight=turk
    Patrick
    Vive La République Française, le Lebel et le poilu
    Verdun 1916: "Ils ne Passeront pas" "On les aura!"
    Fusil d'Infanterie Modèle 1886 Modifié 1893 dit "Lebel"

Vive le Pinard !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axfM1sFqIK0

There is one up here for sale locally...it looks pretty tidy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Berthiercarbine.jpg  

As to Berthier 3 round clips, we have them NEW MADE, (Brisbane) ready for Distribution.

They are undergoing Function testing in a 3-shot WW I Carbine, a Turk Orman (Forestry) and a M07/15 Rifle.
    Once we are satisfied they work, we will advertise them for sale.

Sale quantities are 1,5 and 10 clips. Larger quantities on back order. Postage anywhere in the world where permitted.

Clips are 2011 dated, marked with Manufacturer, heat treated and blued. (oil-fired blue).

BUY AUSSIE MADE!!! and BEAT the CARBON TAX.

Regards,
    Doc AV
    AV Ballistics Technical Services
    (AV Blankfire pty.ltd)

[email protected]

At last an answer to a puzzle!-at my dealer here in Perth there are 3 of these short rifles in his rack and I saw another on Saturday that someone had bought in the Eastern states and had transferred here-now I know what the hell they are-Turkish conversions for auxiliary use of interred weapons-the Turks have a long history of altering captured foreign weapons as they were a very poor country after WW1 and the various regional wars fought before and after as well-I would doubt the use of these fairly elderly rifles was anything to do with identifiable bullet wounds, more like they were to hand and free to use for a minor role that didn't need more militarily useful types.