Default .32 Family Photo...38H RANGE REPORT

With my new 38H, it is time for another .32 family photo.

Left to Right:

M1914 (1918) Mauser; all matching, non import.
    M1903 (1919) Colt; all matching, non import (mid 20's Wood grips instead of T3 rubber).
    M38H (1940); Sauer and Son, Version 1 police accepted, post war VOPO accepted, non matching magazine, import, repro grips (have originals).
    Mauser HSc (1942); all matching, Wehrmachts Version 3 army accepted, non import (also have original bakelite grips).

My summer project will be a shoot off between the four. I will run 2 magazines of new 71gr. roundnose Privi through each at a fixed distance and see which one shoots the best. I have yet to shoot the 38H; the HSc is the early favorite based on experience with the Colt a close second.

PM
    Last edited by plymouthmauser; 06-19-2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: range report
    You have two lives; the life you learn with and the life you live with afterwards.
    German modified VZ24
    Original keeper and frosch for a K98k sling; can be Yugo.
    Dad; 12/18/1938-1/17/2014

If you could only carry one as a means of protection... which one would you choose?

I DO carry them. The M14 was my first in the Spring of '10 and replaced my M19-3 (1976) S/W .357 that was my carry piece since 1996. The Colt is too nice to carry and probably the most valuable, but it is the only one that reliably feeds hollow point SD rounds. The HSc is a superb shooter and is just faded enough as not to matter if I carry it. I haven't shot the 38H yet, but it is in the best condition of all of them, so I won't be carrying it. So it will be a toss up between the M14 and the HSc, and as the HSc is most comfortable in my hands, that will be the one.

But if this was 70 years ago, it might have to be the Colt, and then maybe a M08 in .380 - same size with a little more punch.

The Winner: HSc. 25 yards, 2-hand stance, 1 mag each of 71gr. Privi round nose, and Winchester 71gr. wadcutter.

PM

ED: based on today's 25 yard 38H shooting, this target was about 15 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001a.jpg  
    Last edited by plymouthmauser; 06-19-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    You have two lives; the life you learn with and the life you live with afterwards.
    German modified VZ24

Hello Plymouthmauser. That's a good start right there! I NEVER thought I wanted any "pea shooters" and now I have six! My first was the FN1910/22 as a Christmas present. Then a M1935 Beretta, HSc (mid-late war),Walther PP (early war), and two PPKs (pre and early war). I'll have to line them up for a test like yours! I'll probably have to get a Colt 1903 as well. I always look for them at shows. Most of them in the New England area are beat to snot though! Maybe someone should start a photo thread for just .32's! Thanks for sharing!

I bought a pair of 1903 Colts at the last gun show here.They really are neat little guns,and so easy to break down.

Colt at the Range:

M14 at the range:

MS
    German modified VZ24

All very nice and all capable of ruining a bad guys day.

Got to try the 38H at the range today. We seem to have a problem smoothly feeding the first round; 1/2 the time I had to push the round the rest of the way in. Two of 10 times the first round jammed and I had to eject it to seat the second. Subsequent rounds feed flawlessly. I shot 58 rounds at three distances; 10, 15, and 25 yards. Eight of the rounds at 10 yards were round nose 71gr. magtechs, and all the rest were 71gr. Winchester wadcutters. Pistol has incredibly tight tolerances - no play anywhere. Mid and long range were not great - I'm not used to it yet. Safety of backwards to the HSc, and having a decocker was new to me. Pistol is too nice to shoot that much - the HSc or the M14 will alternate as my carry piece.

PM

RANGE REPORT:

10 yards

15 yards

50 feet

The low left group was the first mag at 25 yards, the high right the second mag, and the rest the third mag.
    Last edited by plymouthmauser; 06-19-2011 at 06:38 PM. Reason: edit
    German modified VZ24

looks good, now we just need to put your 38h against my 38h and see how they do.
    As of 9/17/2011 new member of the 98k Sniper Club, bcd 45 lsr
    11/2/12 SSZZA4 bnz 43 #8301 added to the family
    1/2/13 Joined the Classic Arms 91/30 PU family

Bitterly clinging to my guns and religion since 11/6/2012

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've never had a direct shoot-off, but I have similar ones in my collection.

Colt 1903: late issue (smack dab in the middle of a block the U.S. military sent to Hawaii during the Second World War). It was amazingly accurate and functioned flawlessly.

Mauser 1914: Manufactured 1925, I had some feeding issues with it, which most likely stem from the aftermarket magazine. It wasn't bad but wasn't great either, its also rather interesting to take down.

Sauer 38H: Late manufacture bring-back with zinc trigger. Its a downright nifty little pistol, and I fired it in both SA/DA modes. It sat in my hand nicely but I couldn't hit much of anything with it. It also had no real feeding issues.

Mauser HSc: Bring-back dating to 1943. This one was a police model that was barely-worn when I got it. WOW! At the range I was more accurate with that than any of my other .32s, it felt nice in my hand and I could shoot just as well one-handed with it. Was a bit worse accuracy-wise in DA mode which is the only reason the 1903 narrowly edged it out.

Now you just need to round out the collection with a Savage 1907, a CZ-27, Walther PP, and Browning 1910 or 1922.

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

First on my list is a Walther PP or 1913 Sauer. Then a Dreyse, CZ-27, M10/22 Browning, and an Ortgies. Not sure about a Savage.

PM
    German modified VZ24

Went to price out Manurhin PPs and got sticker shock! I hope you find one eventually.

My first 1913 had some issues and it ended up going to another Gunboards Member--they have an issue with the rear sight/retaining spring combo breaking, and nobody makes spares.

Looking for an affordable Dreyse, its just such a bizarre design. In its place I picked up a Fritz Langenhan Selbstlader (one on GB right now but it looks reblued to me).

If the 1910 and 1922, the 1922 is much easier to aim and shoot, its also one of the more affordable German occupation guns out there. The one I had would also feed and fire any .32 ACP I fed through it.

Had an Ortgies, it too developed an issue and ended up going away (turned out to be a worn sear). They also have a firing pin retainer that WILL go flying!

I think the Savage pistols are still underrated and a good value if they are in decent shape. This was the first high-capacity pistol (their slogan was "ten shots quick"), there are many variants to collect, they served in the First World War (Portuguese and French contracts), and are pleasant to shoot. Mine (1912 vintage) has fed and fired everything I put through it, and the only issues I had developed because I took it on a group range trip and we put 300 rounds through it without cleaning (it still fired, but the breech block would no longer lock back).

Oh yeah! I also forgot the Frommer-Stop, Beretta 1915, and a "Ruby" Pattern pistol. So many .32s, so little time...

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

Hi, I'm glad I'm not alone in the .32 obsession: colt 1903, mauser 1914, browning 1922, savage 1907, and a ruby. Every time I pick one up, I think its my favorite, but I know in the back of my mind its the colt. I even have an aftermarket HSc mag I thought would fix some feeding problems in my 1914, but it doesn't fit. The browning mag fits and feeds, but it is too long. I bid on a Remington model 51 the other day (.32, not .380 of course), but lost.

I think I prefer a shooter with some wear, as I worry about messing up the nicer ones. Joel

Hello All. I have to agree with the others. I DO like these "Little Pistols." They can be expensive though! I found this out when I decided that I HAD to have a PPK and it HAD to be a WWII model! A very worn "shooter" was a little over $600! Then I got Lucky and found a MINT pre war for $800. I also wish that .32 ammo wasn't so darned expensive! IMHO I think the FN 1922's are one of the best German marked/produced out there. They can be found in Pre, mid and late war versions. I got mine (42-43 dated) with a holster for $525. Most of them are fairly accurate as well. Plymouthmauser. That's a great looking Colt you have. I definately have to get one AND maybe a CZ27 as well.