Water storage and drinking water safety - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Water storage and drinking water safety

thanks,,,very good points..guess it would be a good idea to have the pond water tested.
    i'm optimistic their is not any agriculture close by, just forest

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    I hear ya,,,at 70 bucks...I would not be able to get my wallet out fast enough LOL

if you get a chance,,,jump on it..

i looked up storage tanks at tractor supply..150 gallons was on the 300 side and up

thats why i built a distiller,,,unlimited water purification powered by a rocket stove

i dont have to store big drums,,or rotate stock
    I was right on price, but not totally correct on all details. I stopped by this morning and talked to the (farm and home) store owner. The containers are almost the same as I have in the picture,
    but they are once used food grade juice containers that are rinsed out and resold. They were $62.00 for 275 gal tank. I bought the 2 they had left. I assume, if our country store can get them,
    others places carry them too. Just looking at them they looked new. These already have the shutoff valve installed, so just need the hose connection.
    Last edited by cwousaret; 05-28-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

They are called "275 gallon Totes" or "ICB totes" google using those terms .. prices vary widely .. they are heavy, even empty, probably want at least a pallet jack if not forks on a tractor or a fork lift.

http://www.arizonabarrels.com/275_gallon_totes.html

http://www.ntotank.com/220330gatota.html

http://www.repurposedmaterialsinc.co...-gallon-totes/
    "It's frightening to think that you might not know something, but more frightening to think that, by and large, the world is run by people who have faith that they know exactly what's going on."
    Amos Tversky

Vote John Galt for President

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

You right on heavy, we move them with tractors. Unless you have a way to move them they need to be put in place and then filled. I saw they were advertized online under those names.
    Someone mentioned you can also get them from local beverage processing companies, but I would think at best that would be hit and miss (if you even have any around you). I am going to
    use them to gravity feed the house in an emergency. Also have a battery powered pump that would work if needed. If the power goes, the well goes down, the generator quits or start to
    get low on fuel supply, they will give me a few more days of easy water.
    Occam's razor, the simplest explanation will be the most plausible

I had a chance to buy one of those heavy a few hundered gallons tank...
    at my age, location and space available ...gallon jugs are easiest to keep, handle and keep at Hands length...
    and movenment if you bug out...

Question Adding tactical thought to getting resupplying water? Know your needs before critical

Got the empties filled yesterday...raining but wanted to get renewed supplies before very cold weather arrives..
    plans to renew one more time before died winter.
    the water lasts longer since wife passed this April 6 2015...
    still have to pause and plan when empties get into the 30's....so the time at the watering hole is lessened in bad weather...
    this is also and would be a tactical need if shtf.....having over half of your supplies and replenishing early...
    will keep you from setting in one spot too long....
    land if unable to resupply when you get there.....you can quickly retreat back to your home stead knowing your not out and have plenty till things calm down!

where we resupplying streight road 300 yards on both sides...clip off onsite side of water easy guarded..
    mt above water more difficult...one road in out more difficult also....
    have a few other places to go to get water with in near the same distances..

you ou need to think about defending your hill Billy watering sight....have back up sights to go to practice gathering defending all chosen areas...
    now I have a new metal .roof and gather that water for bathing, flushing toilets ...I'm high up hill and the waist will flow down hill to disposal area with little effort....><> Dan
    Question 1#
    my queston....you city boys others number one human need is water...can you get it replenished and defend your self getting it...better than 70% in your visual surroundings ?

Tea jugs seem to be made stronge, so wash bleach out ...rinse out....
    you get more refills with out splits in upper flexing areas of the water jugs...

over all...I use to bleach out each jug after empty, wife now decessed, was sick immune system weak...
    few years ago she stopped using spring water, and or I boiled it for coffee, she even stopped drinking that.
    to my point: I rinse out. At the spring now no bleach....used for coffee boiled anyway.
    and a glass of water not boiled hasn't hurt me over the years....
    kept in cool basement never hot...
    just saying very clean water source, lime stone filtered, very very cold coming out of a mule mines of the 20's....

any way filling 140 or 100 gallons and refilling gallons when down to about half my number gallons is my routine!

i don't know if anyone is reading this thread any more?....
    "emergence of bacteria may be in any water source."
    ..I'm not recommending skipping healthy steps I boil my water mostly!

Occasionally drink unboild water...
    Mostly make a glass of ice water from the kettle that's been boiled early that morning left over from making coffee!

I use use about / almost a gallon a day..unless two pot made in morning for my coffee thermos for work!

look up purifications, make sure water has been tested, keep cool.....you save $1.00 a jug.
    $140. Saved can be used to buy other needs!><> Dan

feel free to share thoughts, questions.....ideas!
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 04-16-2016 at 07:28 PM.

A friend was telling me recently that his grandmother boiled a couple of gallons of water and put it in the fridge every night. She'd use it the next day for drinking, making coffee, cooking or brushing her teeth. He asked her why she did that, because the municipal water was fine to drink, and they would tell her if something happened and she had to either boil the water before using it or not drink it at all. She said she did it because she might not hear the news that the water was bad until after she drank some, or the power might be out and the stove wouldn't work, so why take a chance?

Dan, why take a chance? Boil your water to remove most pathogens, and then run it through a Big Berkey filter, or a distiller with a filter, or some other filter process to remove toxins before you drink it. If you are absolutely certain that there are no toxins in your water keep doing what you're doing, I just have to tell you that the fact it hasn't made you sick before does not mean it won't make you sick someday due to some kind of contamination.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

I would like to second Elmer suggestion and add a few thoughts West Virginia has long had a reputation for clean clear mountain Springs .. the world water tasting contest has been held in Berkeley Springs WV for years now.. But times are a changing and have been changing for some time.

http://www.academia.edu/13361990/Thr..._for_the_World back in 2005-2007 there were only 6 fracking permits, now there are 2,304.

http://wvpublic.org/post/inside-appa...ter-coalfields

West Virginia has documented 1200 springs in 49 out of WV 55 counties and have kept files on them.. there is a link in this article http://www.wvgs.wvnet.edu/www/faq/faq.htm down towards the bottom of the page in the water quality section to get info about your spring or springs near by or at least the general area and info on how to get the water tested for your spring, or at least who to talk to.. Spring water is obviously very important to folks in WV and they are proud of it. DK.. it is a matter of State Pride and personal health.. get your spring checked.. as much as you might fear bad news , it is also very likely it could be one more Spring for WV to crow about.. and if fracking or poor mining practices has fouled it, you have a right to know.
    "It's frightening to think that you might not know something, but more frightening to think that, by and large, the world is run by people who have faith that they know exactly what's going on."
    Amos Tversky

Good look at our county ...
    im from Gary area ...
    water I get ...old mule mines....I was told.before the 1940's.?

the water that's safest is know by most locals.
    tests have been done in the past..

i dont dring chlorinated water....cold spring water....for coffee, cooking....
    never will I need to, receive water from a town ...except for bathing flushing!

boil most my water....only chances I take are trusting towns, state, govt. to look out for me!

Good to see you back DK

That line.. "boil most my water....only chances I take are trusting towns, state, govt. to look out for me!" is a FREAKING Classic.
    Amos Tversky

Thanks Stg....knew you would like that one...
    good again research ....you found my stomping grounds ....
    got my new gun permit on my grand girls birthday today.
    she got voter registered ...."Independent"...
    that's my little big girl...
    grand boy first boxing fight Ap.. 2, 16
    we played chess tonight ...
    was a good day, first in a long time..
    3rd went up paid off funeral $1,600...visited wife's grave first time next month on 6th will be a year !
    yes I'm back shaken, changed still putting things together....

next week going to get water maybe maybe 120 jugs?
    ill count at the spring head.

none of those questionable sites are where I get water.
    been tested years passed, never failing state test!
    mule mines!

the New pipe line being built from Mayberry county line is feed by a artisan well that shut down a large mines in the 30's.

"This mine dug into the spring and it out run the pumps running wide open burning them up in the process flooded all sections."

4 largest pumps made by ordered from PA. Arrived weeks later never caught up with the incoming water.
    according to one of my older professor at Bluefield state college.

It Now feeds un capped into a stream that's a natural for large trout.... known all over the state.

some of the best water tested in the state....taste and mineral contents.
    hard to put into gallon jugs so fast cold and I get wet at the site.

it comes out of the mountain on the side of rt 52 full force at county line....
    un changes winter and summer in my life time and before!

Real good to hear... You are in my prayers. just real good to hear
    Amos Tversky

Thank you so much means a lot to me to hear you say so!

Cool 115 gallons of spring water.

Today April 26-16 went hillbilly watering today got enought for near 6 months.
    Use almost, less than a gallon to make coffee a day.

I take the truck down to the spring which was about 8 miles from the home place..
    Three of us this time made it fast and easy

The spring had been up dated with a larger pipe I sat on a cooler, popping the top on each ringing them out good inside out side, filling a gallon or larger jug up passing it to my right to grand son, he passing it to friend Ed ...as quick as the process allowed.
    Over 760 lbs some one figured?
    Less than an full hour had the pace help and didn't waist a second 1, rinse 2 fill, cap, hand off 3, 4 put I truck !

I add no bleach...all water is boiled any way had 10 ormore gallons still at the house.

I try not to wait till I'm down this far but it's been difficult ..this last year..
    Plan to pickup 30 more gsllons I have the room!
    Been doing this as long as I remember ....no sickness or problems at all related to length of time kept!
    I built wood shelves three levels off floor...
    against cinder block wall that's 8 feet under ground staying colder......
    three thick on each shelf ....

Lost three leakers this time on refill....lowest ever....
    Been reusing grape,cranberry, apple juice, cider, tea containers cleaned good.
    Juice containers last best thick.
    Take the wax disk out of lid...it can hid bacteria

All in my garage which get in the 40's dead winter...cool all summer.

When water goes off, winter summer I have no problems.

Out side I cautch 55 gallons in rain barrels....

$ at Dollar a gallon for spring water at store...... it's a savings for sure.><> Dan
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 06-30-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Cool Was down near the watering hole..

So in respectively as to not waste gas with more time to spair... picked up 40 gals....filling empties.
    Some one put in extra pipe....faster for larger containers.
    Next time I'll photo the hillbilly watering hole let you dream a little from city safe clorine water!

Been changing containers...grand son and I drink lots of 100% juice ...smaller containers...
    They fill the truck bed areas that are to small for gallon jugs. Increasing yield on each trip.
    Stacking puts too much stress on containers splitting the older ones that flex as you pore anyway causing losses each trip ...not stacking.... unless box sits on edges of bottom box.

Remember I add nothing to my bottles, rinse them out before refills...long term may be 5 or 6 months in a cool garage....most of my water is used in cofee, cooking, boiled!
    I recommend boiling before use depending on quality of your source, stoarage in warmer areas,,
    And your constitional health....over all.
    I'm not weak, wife was sick so boiled all her water intakes.
    Remember 140 gals near 140$ so even if it's not an emergency the cognitive practices, functions, logistics of getting, storage all worked out years now......saving money trained in the process.
    Do not wait and try to be in the know needing water....to realize you don't have the containers or not trained in the process, or know your quality source.....><> Daniel

Ps: in the lids sometimes there is a plastic insert remove them they will hide bacteria, mold contanimnents ...

I gave up on plastic bottles long ago got the big Berkey with the drought here in Jefferson county Alabama the water wks is just recycling waste water (sewer) as the Cahaba river has dried up in places so I use my Berkey for my potable drinking water and city water for all else.

Had filtered containers, sink attachments ...all didn't give the taste of spring water or close for making coffee...tea or cooking ....
    City washing flushing..
    55 gal collects water off roof to flush when electric off..
    And 50 gsllons in hot water heater can be used.

smile

Have gotten through another winter, maybe?
    Still have water left....will have a new problem maybe Monday if I sale the 2000 dodge SLT Dakota?
    No truck to carry water....or less water at a time just till I get another truck.
    Apple juice containers work better than water jugs over many fillings...lthicker tuffer!
    Always clean the filler in cap mold mildew can get behind them...
    Keep in cold cool basement....and boil water befor I make coffee tea out of my French presses!

Never get sick from it after over 3 to 4 months of storage....

Use to bleach containers now I just rinse out real good....
    64 years old doing fine....
    I don't drink chlorinated water... So why bleach....?
    gout doesn't like it nether... does my Colombian coffee NO!

Sold my 2000 dodge,....hope to find one before running out...
    Needed to replace containers lost over two years of buying a few jugs here there on sale any way.....the only time I do this is to keep count of 135 to 150 gallons in storage!

><> Dan the water carrying man!<><
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 03-09-2017 at 05:10 AM.

smile Up dated info and even more water storage abilities thought out!

It's Spring and almost time for water.
    Down to 28 days or gallons.
    Have found juice jugs last for ever not effected by poring and flexing.
    You must bleach them and caps out very good.
    Built shelves to store most the jugs saving space in cool most of the year garage.
    Plastic milk jugs water bottles the worse for splitting untouched during storage just sitting there.
    So if your storing on wood or any place where water can damage under neath I suggest not using
    1 gallon water jugs as I'm phasing them out myself as they have change composition of plastic over last 5 years limiting reusing life.
    A) Points to remember all ways wash out jugs to very clean.
    You can even as you use them drop a bleach drop swish them out after use.....I don't haven't in 10 years.
    I boil my water each gallon for French pressed coffee, and tea.
    ( if you have immunity, stomach, health problems boil all your water even for drinking cold, an aged protection too!
    B) any off smell, off color, disregard... usually caused in juice jugs, where you didn't (my grand boy) wash top jug out to clean. Gave to cats. Or animals
    I don't use orange juice containers don't drink much of this....seemed like milk jugs prone to bacterium?
    If plastic seal they stuck in top as some juice bottles have must be pulled out disregarded...have a few mold on me years back even bleached out bottles...it hides behind the thing.
    C) wash at spring out side inside so no debris can enter the bottle as you fill.
    D) cautch large square or round water bottles on sale screw with down caps much better anyway.
    (below a dollar to replace spent jugs all year.)
    I'm up to 150 or more containers this next trip. loosing 15 jug types this winter 7 just sitting and average 5 or six when I refill.
    Keep you store water in cool dark areas.....I think this would be a plus...
    All my water taste great to the last jug each year.

I also catch rain water 50 gallons for flushing....50 gallons hot water tank storage.

Another member "Frodo" had an idea hooking water storage containers from city water cold line in sears.
    to accumulate stored water.
    if your basement is large enought...one of the, his best ideas posted on this site ever!

From the wva hills to my kitchen...
    with over 25 years carrying spring water just a few miles from my home stead.
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 04-22-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234