Thread: Bulgarian AK74 upper and lower handguard removal - being difficult!

frown Bulgarian AK74 upper and lower handguard removal - being difficult!

Hello all!

Some time back I picked up a Bulgarian AK74 (such as the ones built by CAI and sold by Centerfire Systems) at a gun show.

Granted I've heard all the horror stories about CAI 47's and 74's, but, I appear to have lucked out and actually got a very good rifle for the money (less than $400).

Not liking the stock polymer upper/lower handguards currently installed, I purchased a set of 47/74 upper/lower guards made by Arsenal from these guys (http://shop.ernstarmory.com/product....&categoryId=25). I've held AK rifles using this style of handguard and I liked the fit and feel.

My problem I'm running into is, what should be simple removal of the gas tube/upper handguard assembly is being incredibly difficult! I've tried using a wrench/screwdriver to pry up the gas tube/upper guard and it won't budge. I've even wiggled the release lever for the gas tube into different positions to see if it was catching on anything, but still no dice. The gas tube does have a pressure clip installed, which I assume is making it VERY hard to pry this thing up.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks to removing the gas tube/upper guard on these types of riles? I'm concerned about applying so much leverage to pop it up I might bend or break something. Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks!

I'm a bit confused, are you trying to lift the gas tube out of the weapon (make sure the bolt is out) or is the gas tube already off? Once off the weapon the gas tube spins around 180 degrees so I'm not getting the prying things up, you don't pry as much as turn.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

Slide a piece of leather about 10 inches long and an inch wide between the gas tube and the barrel near the rear and use that to pull upward. Be sure to observe the half circle latch is oriented to release the rear of the gas tube. If you do not have leather use a piece of sturdy cloth etc.

thanks both! Yes it is lifting the gas tube out of the weapon entirely. And thanks, totally forgot to pull the stinking bolt back. Sorry for the rookie mistake.
    Last edited by Svabodny; 06-22-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svabodny View Post
    thanks both! Yes it is lifting the gas tube out of the weapon entirely. And thanks, totally forgot to pull the stinking bolt back. Sorry for the rookie mistake.
    I bet everyone has done it at least once (in my case about a dozen times )
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

Quote Originally Posted by Svabodny View Post
    The bolt carrier needs to be removed completely, not just pulled back to allow the gas tube to be removed.....
    I never met a gun I didn't like!
    Dogs are better people than most people.

Correct, I did end up removing the bolt carrier completely.

I've done that too, got in a hurry, for the plastic handguard don't try and use the pressure clip as it doesn't use one. I put the end of the gas tube in a vise and turn the handguard off using gloved hands.
    Never send cash