Default .300 Winchester Magnum - Which is the best rifle?

I am looking into purchasing a rifle chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum. What do you guys think would be the best rifle manufacturer for this round? Which company do you think makes the best rifle for this round? It will be used for a multitude of things. It needs to be an accurate piece, preferably with a detachable magazine, though that isn't as important. I may also change the stock to something a bit more tactical, possibly with a bipod. It will have a scope mounted.
    Sorry if this is a topic which was already covered. If so please direct me the correct thread.
    Last edited by Wicked Ajax; 01-13-2008 at 04:08 PM.

If I was buying a new rifle today I would buy a CZ.

http://www.cz-usa.com/

Rad
    NRA Benefactor Member

AMA Life Member

Life Member Tri State Gun Collectors

Hey Wicked Ajax. How come no 300 WSM? Shorter action for tactical. I have a regular 300 mag and a brand new unfired 300 WSM. My 300 is a Century rebuild they used to make on P-14 receivers back in the 90's. It is an absolute tack driver. All I use for deer here in SC. A lot of power, but some shots are long range in timer cutoffs.

You'll pay more for it, but I would suggest a Browning BAR Lightweight Stalker. I have one in the .300 Winchester Magnum cartridge, and it is a very accurate, capable hunting rifle. Browning rifles have a great reputation, and I think the BAR Lightweight Stalker is about as good as it gets in a semi-auto.

how about the CZ550 UHR? Expensive...yup. But for a hunting rifle, CZ guarantees you a minute of angle accuracy to 1000 yards...with the scope they provide.

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=76

if i had the money, i would buy one. But alas, i don't. So i settled on a CZ 550 American in .30-06, and love it. I would recomend CZ as well, but unfortunatly, the UHR is the only rifle they offer in .300 WinMag.

You can't go wrong with Ruger or Remington either.

DW

What do you guys think of the .300 Remington Ultra Magnum cartridge? I've heard people say that it wears out barrels quickly.
    Last edited by Wicked Ajax; 01-14-2008 at 09:10 PM.

I've also heard that Rugers aren't as nice Remingtons. Do you have one? I have Ruger handguns and love them but no rifles.

Last year we put together the hunting compadre's Browning A Bolt Stainless Stalker 300 WSM. Mounted the scope and built handloads and dialed it in. Nicest NIB bolt action hunting rifle I have shot for the last fifteen years. Fit and finish, accuracy, not too heavy crisp trigger, hinged floorplate detachable box magazine. MOA with four out of six handloads right out the gate. At $600 and change, a lot of rifle for the money. If you buy one, be sure and spring for a couple extra boxes for the magazine, they are pricey @ $50 apiece, but I'd of had them. My hunting bud is too cheap to spring for them.

"What do you guys think of the .300 Remington Ultra Magnum cartridge? I've heard people say that it wears out barrels quickly."

"I've also heard that Rugers aren't as nice Remingtons. Do you have one? I have Ruger handguns and love them but no rifles."

Personally, i think the Remington Ultra Mag is too much for most anything, plus ammo is expensive. Unless you have plenty of cash to fork over, you won't be shooting it much...i think ammo runs about $40+ per box of 20.

What you heard about Rugers not being as nice as Remington is BS and just someones opinion...take it with a grain of salt. I don't own a Ruger or Remington bolt action rifle because they are not what i prefer. I have shot both on several occasions, even a Ruger in .300WM.

Both are fine rifles and will do the job nicely. That said they are pretty different from each other and the only way to get your answer is to go to a shop and handle them and other brands of rifles. You pick the rifle that fits you.

DW

There is also the type of hunting you want to do;
    In wich conditions are you going to use the rifle; an example is in winter conditions, I do personally prefer a bolt action over a semi...

Then when it comes to bolt action, you have to choose between a push feed and a controlled feeding; Remington are push feed, Ruger controled feeding. The difference between both is that a controlled feed will take the round sturdily between the blade extractor and the face of the bolt head and bring it to the chamber while the other one will push (loose) the brass in. There is also the safe feature; Remington bolts don't lock when the safe is on; I don't like it when I am hunting moose and have to walk through heavy brush; often, the bolt opens and you loose a round - and are not ready for a quick shot. This does not really occur when hunting from a stand.

So, for those reasons, I have to say the same as nevadany; go to the store and manipulate them; play with the trigger, the safe, the action. The position of the bolt vs the position of the trigger is also quite important for me. Point the rifle on a "target" to see how the stock fits you. Then, after that, it's just a matter of personal taste.
    Last edited by Baribal; 01-16-2008 at 06:33 AM.
    Coagula / Solve

Baribal; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baribal

Thank you all for your input. I will take it all into consideration. What kind of scope do you think will stand up to the abuse best?

there are several scope brands, but i can personally recomend Leupold, Nikon & Burris. In no particular order of preference.

DW

I have a Bushnel Banner on my 300 win mag and have had no problems with it.

Rad
    NRA Benefactor Member

AMA Life Member

Life Member Tri State Gun Collectors

Thanks for the info, I'll have to start shopping around.

Default 300 browning abolt

I kinda went through the same deal your going through a few years ago. After doing my home work and asking my self what I wanted this rifle to do. I came to one conclsion a stainles staker a bolt heres why. I wanted a flat shooting 30 cal mag. I wanted to hand load for it and wanted it to be able to hunt Alaska to Africa and every where in between.The a bolt had a 26 inch barrel so I knew I could get the most out of thar cartriage and that would give me the ability to make those long shots. As for a scope I put a leupold LPS 3.5x14 on it the rifle is a bit on the heavy side a touch over 9 pounds but this help dampen recoil. As for acuracy I have over 90 rifles and this one shots the best. Ammo is every were and handloading is a snap. One finale not about Remington I have had 2 700s that the bolt handle has fallen of while I was shooting them, they are off of my list after that. Good luck

Give the SAKO 85 FINNLIGHT a look. www.berettausa.com one of these topped off with a high quality scope would be hard to beat.

Thanks for all the info. I will have to check about that Browning.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Tikka.

Luther posted the link to Beretta USA back in January. They sell the Sako and Tikka rifles. I owned a Sako "Finn-Bear" several years ago that was a nice shooter. I had no idea that Beretta was now importing them.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

Actually, Beretta bought Sako / Tikka years ago. They also own Franchi, Uberti, Stoeger, Burris, Benelli.

Look there; http://www.beretta.it/ for more infos.

I really like the way Sako re-introduced the controlled feeding with their M85. I really like controlled fed rifles especially while tracking moose.
    Coagula / Solve

Default husqvarna/carl gustaf 1900 action

300 win mag, :eek: in a model 8000/ or mine 9000, i have many cals many of these models, but win i go hunting or to beat some one at the range at 230 yards its this , as for scope i have a swarioski 6x36 fixed for hunting, and i sighted this in 15 years ago never have made an adjustment with reloads 7(?)- grains of 4350, win brass win mag primers, serria 165 flat bases.3 shoots touching off bench( i was 42yrs old with witnesses signing off on target)loads made in that time period.still have a few boxes left :D i see in my old age no need, except on paper and to argue for the faster and more expensive, that translates into less range fun. a dead deer is just as dead at less barrel ware and cost :eek:<><school teacher

And, if one wants a brand new made 1900 action, go to A. Zoli website; http://www.zoli.it/index2.php?pagina...00/fucile.html
    Unlike many think, they are not just clones but the continuity of the HVA / Carl Gustav 1900.
    Coagula / Solve

Not a bad idea, as I am still shopping around for one. The Sako's look nice as do the Zoli's. Now I have to research these too.
    Thanks guys.

Talking

We don' need no stinkin .300 Winchester Magnums. We got a 300 Weatherby Magnum! And we reload because the rounds are so @#$% expensive, which makes them the same price as your cheap, short necked, smaller capacity Win Mag!

Anyway, I gotta admire anyone who shoots one of these Weatherby Vanguard shoulder busters very much. Tougher on me than my 375 H&H Mag Mauser. My son hurt his shoulder in a recent car accident and 5 rounds from his Weatherby convinced him he'd best sell it!
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Quote Originally Posted by jjk308 View Post
    We don' need no stinkin .300 Winchester Magnums. We got a 300 Weatherby Magnum! And we reload because the rounds are so @#$% expensive, which makes them the same price as your cheap, short necked, smaller capacity Win Mag!

Anyway, I gotta admire anyone who shoots one of these Weatherby Vanguard shoulder busters very much. Tougher on me than my 375 H&H Mag Mauser. My son hurt his shoulder in a recent car accident and 5 rounds from his Weatherby convinced him he'd best sell it!
    I wouldn't mind one of those Weatherbys, but, as you mentioned, they are a bit pricey.
    Got my money spent on a 6.5 Grendel. Not quite the kick, but pretty damn accurate.
    BTW I love your avatar, it's freakin' badass.