CARL ZEISS JENA G.Z.lll (3) PRISMATIC rifle scope needs info

Thread: CARL ZEISS JENA G.Z.lll (3) PRISMATIC rifle scope needs info

Default CARL ZEISS JENA G.Z.lll (3) PRISMATIC rifle scope needs info

Hi , I have carl zeiss jena G.Z.lll prismatic rifle scope , looks pre WW1 with double claw mounts , I try to find some info in internet but nothing about it .
    Looks 2x magnification , reticle has one hair and a post , scope is in very good condition .
    Is a sporting scope or a early sniper scope ? any idea about value ?
    thanks in advance .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6390.JPG   IMG_6382.JPG   IMG_6391.JPG   IMG_6387.JPG   IMG_6386.JPG   IMG_6383.JPG  

IMG_6396.JPG   IMG_6385.JPG   IMG_6393.JPG   IMG_6394.JPG   IMG_6395.JPG   IMG_6388.JPG  

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

My guess is that its for a Maxim machine gun. Is it adapted for rifle use? Sorry i dont know. I do know that there are several different types. Probably as many as the varied countries that used them.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Theoretically: any rifle scope is a sniper scope.

In other news: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Sniper-Scope&

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

hi , I have one for a maxim MG some time ago but zeiss MG scope is larger than this one and has a triangle reticle .
    thanks

I found some pictures , see link please
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563747687HNZyYT

you have a pre 1912 Zeiss Prismatic Gewehr Zielfernorhr Model 3 hunting scope. they are very hard to come by and your conditon is fantastic. to top it off you have the superb color case claw mount and bases this complete set up is worth 1200-1500. good luck and SWEET piece. there are 4 varients

1> GZI has very fancy Cersive plate markings
    2> GZII (collector used NOT marked on scopes) same as GZI as placement of serial but now engraved marked in manor of GZIII and GZIV and GZI and GZII are 1 serial entity all others start over with serials.
    3> GZIII
    4> GZIV

with serials observed a total fo 6204 scope produced.

later
    vaughn

many thanks for info vaughn .
    regards

Very nice find and with rifle bases as well!!

Here's pics of mine in collection.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563747687HNZyYT

Did you get leather case for it as well?

Zeiss advertised their GZ III model 2x sights as suitable for large bore rifles which have a heavy recoil or for use by sportsmen with glasses.

thanks for your pictures and info , no leather case only scope and bases .
    best regards

Can't add too much to the above except that the range dial markings would be of interest if you can post a photo of those?

As you know, the range setting is adjusted by turning the large knurled ring around the objective. In most examples seen such as mine and Valleysniper's those adjustments are locked by turning another such large ring. Yours has the "intermediate" method of a knurled knob and clamp. I suspect this was abandoned as it was found a bit fussy to use.

You've probably noticed that the objective lens moves up and down as the range is adjusted, not the reticule as in the early GZII. I suppose this might make the GZIII the first fixed-reticule, internally adjusted rifle scope. The reticule does not remain centered in the field of view however (just FTI of those who haven't looked through one of these)

The optics are of course excellent and demonstrate the importance of exit pupil size and optical quality over magnifying power IMO. Senich quotes US WD documents as saying such an eyepiece could not be produced in the US in 1919-20.

I haven't seen a mounting bar as short as yours, or one with a pivoting rear base. As you can tell from looking at it, the radius of rotation built into that rear ring or foot is not matched by that simple left-right adjustment of the front ring/foot! Still, it's an improvement over the usual method of just twisting the mounts or tube found on most "claw" mounts! On my GZIII & IV the bars are about twice as long, but have the typical claw mounts with the adjustment on the rear ring. See another example here with mounts similar to mine: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...s-Sniper-Scope

If the rear base(s) are in two pieces, then I could hazard a guess this scope may have been fitted to a Ross or Mannlicher straight pull action. The very wide foot of the rear ring suggests that as well.

The case colouring on the rings, the cross-pins through them, and the black paint on the bar are unusual. Not typical German fitting from what little I've seen of it.

Do you have any provenance for the scope? It must have been pretty well treated to still have both lens caps; those are usually missing.

The reticule is not one of the types offered with this scope according to the Zeiss catalogue page, but from what I've read they seem to have been willing to make whatever the customer wanted and they could provide.

So, to sum up, your scope might be one of those pressed into use early in WWI, by one side or the other. The range scale markings would help us guess better about that.

PS to Vaughn99: your estimated production total is based on the assumption that serial numbers started at zero for each model: "GZ, GZII, GZIII & GZIV" ?

I'm not so sure about this. Zeiss binocular serial numbers for example do not repeat IRRC. So I would guess that blocks of serial numbers were allocated to each type. I think it is safe to conclude that the GZIII & GZIV were produced concurrently, at least in part, because according to the Zeiss catalogue they were produced for different applications, and that would explain the apparent overlap in serial numbers between those two models. A phenomenon that does not occur between say the GZ and GZII if I remember my records correctly. I could be wrong about that of course.
    Last edited by Ross280; 08-02-2011 at 07:04 PM.

thanks for info ross , scope was fitted in a winchester 1892 SRC , at this time listed at ebay .
    regards lowertang

Sold for $597.00 eBay item number 150631073372

Scope came out of Argentina according to seller.
    Last edited by Ross280; 03-22-2012 at 11:36 AM.

please see my Carl Zeiss Springfield thread
    Seeking all items to the MG08 & MG08/15 & T Gewehr.