Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Default Gewehr 98 Markings

    I was hoping someone could solve answer a question of mine about a Gew 98.

    My friend recently bought a Crown Spandau 1917 Gewehr 98 for $350. The gun is not all matching, but Gewehrs are rather rare in Southeastern Ohio so he bought it regardless. The reciever is also blued, which I already knew meant the gun must have been rearsenaled at some point. There are three crescents arranged in a triangle above the crown on the reciever, which is what I'm wondering about. Are these just Turkish markings, and would they make the gun less valuable?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Rural Bluegrass
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Your buddy tossed around $200 to the wind for a turked gew98. Southern Ohio from my experiance is not scarce of gew98's either.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,870

    Default

    Yes it is a turkish rebuild. Yes that makes it less valuable when compared to a non-turkish rebuild Gew 98. I disagree with the above estimate that he tossed $200 to the wind. "The Great Bill" may not wish to pay over 150 for a turked Gew 98. But he is not everybody. I think your buddy paid around top end of retail for such rifles. Of course condition is everything, and the turked rifles vary in condition greatly so that could effect the price/value.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,590

    Default

    3 crescents arranged in a triangle? You will have to do a pic of that imo, sound unusual for a Turk, - as unusual as finding a blued Spandau receiver that is Turked.

    Spandau is a very interesting make in 1917/1918 many unusual variations to standard production. Do some images or give a better description. (described the parts, markings and how things are numbered, arranged.) Images are best.

  5. #5

    Default

    Next time I see the gun I will take some pictures and post them.

    I tried to photoshop what the crescents look like onto a picture of my Danzig 1916 but it looked stupid so I didn't save it. But they are skinny and like I said in a triangle.

    I can't really give a better description right now, I will post again after I see the gun again.
    Last edited by PrayingMantis; 01-15-2008 at 10:54 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    "Upsate" New York - The Finger Lakes Region
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    I've seen the Crescents in that arrangement before, it is less common than the single larger Crescent. Another interesting Turk find is one with an extremely large Crescent stamped into the buttstock.

    During the late war period the Germans were still sending Gew98s to the Turks, I believe some had unnumbered bolts and were reworks and put-togethers from damaged rifles. Some even had shortened barrels to remove damage. All in all, the late war time frame was interesting in terms of who was scrounging what. There are many period photos of Turks with Gew98s.

    They certainly don't bring the price of a matching, original configuration Imperial German piece, but nothing wrong with a Turked 98 for me. I have a 1918 dated and 98% matched one in the "Turkish" collection. It stands very proudly next to the original config '87, '90 and '93 Mausers. Now if I could just find the original '03! :D

    - Best Regards! Mike
    Last edited by MikeS; 01-16-2008 at 10:12 AM.
    "Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!" - Andy Devine

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pPFCjRPvM

    "Where does the mind end and the world begin?"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Wisconsin, the land of cow $hit and beer farts.
    Posts
    4,673
    oh, i would take $125 for my k kale from 44'. if anyone is interested.
    Wisconsin, land of cow $hit and beer farts.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Rural Bluegrass
    Posts
    1,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    I've seen the Crescents in that arrangement before, it is less common than the single larger Crescent. Another interesting Turk find is one with an extremely large Crescent stamped into the buttstock.

    During the late war period the Germans were still sending Gew98s to the Turks, I believe some had unnumbered bolts and were reworks and put-togethers from damaged rifles. Some even had shortened barrels to remove damage. All in all, the late war time frame was interesting in terms of who was scrounging what. There are many period photos of Turks with Gew98s.

    They certainly don't bring the price of a matching, original configuration Imperial German piece, but nothing wrong with a Turked 98 for me. I have a 1918 dated and 98% matched one in the "Turkish" collection. It stands very proudly next to the original config '87, '90 and '93 Mausers. Now if I could just find the original '03! :D

    - Best Regards! Mike


    Mike ; The gewehr's supplied to turkey were, during the war all flat new oberndorf production. The battlefield salvaged rifles stayed in german use.The only reworked anything the germans sent turkey were the gew88's.
    After the war all manner of german 'surplus' found it's way to turkey and oodles of other countries.
    All the cobbled together gew98 rifles and "modified" were done by the turks themselves.
    The germans supplied some unnumbered proofed spare parts for sure , as well the czechs post war supplied oodles of left over unnumbered gew98 parts to the turks as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,395

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Billdildoe View Post
    Mike ; The gewehr's supplied to turkey were, during the war all flat new oberndorf production. The battlefield salvaged rifles stayed in german use.The only reworked anything the germans sent turkey were the gew88's.
    After the war all manner of german 'surplus' found it's way to turkey and oodles of other countries.
    All the cobbled together gew98 rifles and "modified" were done by the turks themselves.
    The germans supplied some unnumbered proofed spare parts for sure , as well the czechs post war supplied oodles of left over unnumbered gew98 parts to the turks as well.
    Interesting thanks!
    What has our country become? More takers than givers.

  10. #10

    Default

    I have a picture, its rather fuzzy, but you can get the idea. Theres also a strange mark under the crescents that I never noticed before, and the crescents are angled strangely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spandau.JPG  

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    "Upsate" New York - The Finger Lakes Region
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    Can't tell from the photo. Is it a Crown? If so, and the barrel has been counterbored, then it may be the German proof showing that it was counterbored and accepted.

    - Regards! Mike
    "Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!" - Andy Devine

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pPFCjRPvM

    "Where does the mind end and the world begin?"

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Is it a Crown? If so, and the barrel has been counterbored, then it may be the German proof showing that it was counterbored and accepted.
    Thats interesting. That makes sense too, I thought it was a crown when I first saw it. I will have to check the bore next time I get the chance. Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •