Default MAS 49/56 value help

Hello everyone,
    I need an educated guess on the value of a MAS 49/56 re-arsenal in 92. It has not been shot since the re-arsenal. It is still in the original 7,5 and comes with accessories - not the SCROME scope though. He told me to make an fair offer, & he is a great guy a friend so I didn't want to throw out a number. What would you guys say in my shoes?

Thanks for any information you guys might provide.

I looked on gunjoker for prices, and don't trust those values.
    ----
    Alea iacta est
    7.5 MAS
    7.62R
    7.62N
    .30-06
    ----

FAMAS--

I'm curious as to why you don't find anything useful in the track record of valuations (past 90 days, for example) provided by Gunbroker. What you have there are motivated buyers who state what they are willing to pay in real terms--which is what fair market price revolves around. There is ebb and flow, of course--sometimes there are no ready buyers for MAS offered, and in that case they sell quite cheaply, other times two or more buyers get engaged in a struggle and the auction goes to 150 or 200% of normal selling prices for that one particular MAS. Again--the next one offered may be met with complete indifference and languish for months with no bids.

Valuations are sketchy. Nothing is really "worth" anything--there is only the real-world price that someone is actually willing to pay for it--i.e. actual cash on an actual barrelhead.

If you are looking to lowball (and I don't sense that you are) the local gunshop would offer him practically nothing for a MAS 49/56 which comes in off the street--maybe a couple hundred bucks with accessories, tops. If he put it on Gunbroker he may (Repeat: MAY) get $500 - $650 for a nice-looking MAS. Or it may go months with no bids.

For a happy medium--if he originally bought it when they first came appeared on the market ($189 - $229 +/-) ask him if he'd sell it for twice what he paid for it (then you should pay more for any non-standard accessories). You could probably find one cheaper if you looked hard--and he could probably find one selling for more if he was willing to work at it--but you can both shrug it away and drink a beer and call it good.

Hope this helps.

--Eight_Ring

Thanks Eight_Ring. You gave me some great insight. I am new to the gun buying business and really didn't know what to ask. I saw some MAS rifles offered on gunbroker as "foreign legion jungle carbine." The asking price was wayyy more than I thought was a responsible. Plus the French military issued the same rifles to everyone - not specific Legion rifles.
    ----
    Alea iacta est
    7.5 MAS
    7.62R
    7.62N
    .30-06
    ----

In the NIB condition still unshot with all the accessories these are rare as hens teeth in this condition. With the well used ones i have seen at $500 to $650 this one in this refurb condition still unshot would be a steal at that price and maybe worth even more. Just try to find another one like that? I think he could get $750 for it right away if he posted the pics of it all together. I would consider it worth even more maybe $1,000 down the road in a short time with this condition harder to find right now.
    Are you ready for 12-21-2012?? Lets pray its the second comming of Christ and not the end like so many predict.

FWIW I just bought one about a month ago....the only thing it came with was the bayonett. I paid $325 for the rifle. It is in pretty good shape but far from unissued. I think I got a good deal. My rifle is also in the 7.5...I would not own one in any other way.

I would love to find a scope and mount for the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
    In the NIB condition still unshot with all the accessories these are rare as hens teeth in this condition. With the well used ones i have seen at $500 to $650 this one in this refurb condition still unshot would be a steal at that price and maybe worth even more. Just try to find another one like that? I think he could get $750 for it right away if he posted the pics of it all together. I would consider it worth even more maybe $1,000 down the road in a short time with this condition harder to find right now.
    Huh. I did not get the impression that the rifle was still wrapped in cosmoline & gauze, just that the park on the action was perfect-looking and appeared unfired since the re-park. Can you please clarify, FAMAS? Is this rifle in "Arsenal Storage" condition or is it just perfect new parkerizing?

--Eight_Ring

ETA: For clarification--I absolutely think the MAS 49/56 is WORTH $550 or $600 or even $700. They just don't SELL for that much--which is why they are such a fantastic bargain.

I usually do not comment on values but since the question is more about generality I will make an exception.
    The last two 49/56 I bought in the past 6 months were never more than $350.00
    The first one appeared to be one that never went for rearsenal.

It is not in perfect condition, like the rearsenaled ones, but considering the fact that it appears never to have been tinkered with, it is in extremely good condition.
    The second one is a rearsenal

In almost "mint" condition, I got it with 4 magazines, 5 boxes of cartridges and a copy of the Proud Promise. I got it from a friend who wanted to get rid of it, To make him stop the downward going price I said I will take it at $300.00, I am sure he would even have gone lower.
    The price on Gunbroker are in my opinion a litlle high, however everyonce in a while some great bargains pop, few months ago a complete 49-56 with APX with a "buy it now" price of $300.00, it did not last very long.
    Remember that at one point you could buy one of these for $129.00.And there are some rares ones out there.

Best regards
    Robert Olivier

Sorry for the hyjack...if it is indeed a hyjack....I am pretty new at this, and all I knew about this rifle was I wanted a rifle with a good bore and in 7.5.....a shooter. In looking at the two pics posted above the finish on my rifle looks more like the top one...it could just be the photos...but that is why I am asking....does that mean it has not been rearsnaled?....or prehaps a better question to ask is how do you tell?

Thanks.

BTW I don't know much about these weapons but do know guns in general...it is the military thing that is new to me. Both of my french rifles shoot very well, and are two of the most used in my fleet....and I thank this board for showing me the truth about these fine rifles.

The rearsenal mark is the P92 in a square at the bottom left of the second picture.

The rearsenal stamp is the [p92] in the box. These in unissued condition are awesome. They did not sell at first because the surplus ammo dried up and there was no ammo to be had until the FNM company offered the new ammo in the yugo brass. Once the new ammo was offered these unissued 49/56's sold out very quickly.
    Are you ready for 12-21-2012?? Lets pray its the second comming of Christ and not the end like so many predict.

Not so much as what they are worth but what they WILL be worth. This was a almost non existant gun before a few came in. They used to be 20 grand

I am awaiting pictures of everything and will share. I was told it has not been fired since the [92] re-arsenal. I do not think it is still in the cosmo/wrapper. I will know more later tonight. I will also know what all the accessories will be later. I have heard a lot of different price guesses for this set-up. From 300 to 600.

I do have another question - Was there such a thing as a MAS 49/56 "commando" rifle? I thought they were all the same, other than the match rifles with the pistol grip.
    I would like to have a copy of the "Proud Promise" but can not find a copy at a decent price.
    ----
    Alea iacta est
    7.5 MAS
    7.62R
    7.62N
    .30-06
    ----

The MAS 49 series weapons have nothing to do with Commando's at all, these were issued weapons to all French troops from 1951-1979.
    There were offically called either the Fusil Semi-Automatique Modèle 1949 or Fusil Semi-Automatique Modèle 1949-1956.
    The term 'commando' was a marketing gimmick by US Importers of the weapons.
    Patrick
    Vive La République Française, le Lebel et le poilu
    Verdun 1916: "Ils ne Passeront pas" "On les aura!"
    Fusil d'Infanterie Modèle 1886 Modifié 1893 dit "Lebel"

Co-Author of Banzai Special Project No. 1 Revised Edition
    The Siamese Mauser
    A Study Of Siamese / Thai Type 45 & Type 46 Long Rifles and Type 47 Carbines, Including An Overview Of Siamese/Thai Weapons 1860–2014

Thanks Patrick. I thought that was the case. I think the same could be said about the Enfield Number 5 "jungle carbine." Even though the MOD gave the rifle that classifications, importers did to help them sound "unique."
    ----
    Alea iacta est
    7.5 MAS
    7.62R
    7.62N
    .30-06
    ----

Thanks for the info...I generally learn a little bit about what I am buying, then buy the "best gun" I can find. I don't care much about all the different markings, sniper this, or used by this country that. I want the weapon, and a weapon in the best shape I can find...all these little things I like to learn after the fact....I will have to check out my rifle when I get home.

Are the MAS 36 marked like the 49 56?

Again sorry for the hyjack.

Recent Gunbroker sales for minty 49/56s have ranged from $350 to just under $500. Some have come with full extras, others not so many. I paid $237 when Century sold their last lot complete with 4 mags, sling, bayo and scabbard, nite sight attachment, cleaning kit and pouches. This was back in the early 2000's. As you can see, this most underrated battle rifle has not gone up much in price, especially when you consider there are not all that many to be had...maybe several thousand? My suspicion is the lack of decent commercial ammo particularly in the early years of importation has kept prices down. Fortunately, I stocked up on French (not Syrian) surplus. Early commercial Prizi Partisan used soft civilian primers which lead to a rash of slamfires which were in fact the fault of the ammo and not the MAS's floating firing pin. I have shot well over 1000 rounds of the French 70's surplus and have never experienced an issue with it. I recall paying $250 for 1000 surplus MG ammo rounds on links but unfortunately this has gone the way of $89 SKS rifles. This classic semi auto battle rifle with it's light weight and good accuracy still remains a bargain below $500 and a steal below $400. Just my personal opinion, acourse.

HTH

I finally got a chance to checkout my rifle and it does not have the p92 mark anywhere, it does have a VERY small century import mark.

Are rifles that do not have the P92 harder to find?

The more that I shoot this thing the more that I like it.

Alabama - Roll Tide! 2009, 2011 & 2012 SEC and National Champs

Quote Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
    I have one that also includes the scope with a leather and a plastic case, the full rig package and about 5 clips. The guy I purchased it from bought it from the importor as a complete package and he never shot the rifle, nor have I. What would be the current value of such?
    MEMBER SINCE 08/2004, SILVER STAR MEMBER WITH OVER 720 POSTS ON THE ORIGINAL FORUM

I think the prices on the regular french mas 49/56 rifles in 7,5mm french just may soar overnight at anytime. This gun has been mainly sleeping price wise but all of a sudden the prices will change soon i'm sure. CZY

Quote Originally Posted by JAYFMT View Post
    I have one that also includes the scope with a leather and a plastic case, the full rig package and about 5 clips. The guy I purchased it from bought it from the importor as a complete package and he never shot the rifle, nor have I. What would be the current value of such?
    I think a complete sniper package with all the accessories with the 49/56 in unfired condition in 7,5mm would be priced no lower than $1,200 to $1,500.

Did you ever purchase it???

The guy who is selling it to me is allowing me to save up and pay for it. He has it on hold in his safe. Very nice guy. He is on another forum. It is a [92] arsenal refit. Comes with some of the normal accessories. No scope or mount. I already have a some mags, but I think it will have a few as well. He is being nice letting me save up for it and paying him - I am a first year teacher. Low $. When I have pictures I will post.
    ----
    Alea iacta est
    7.5 MAS
    7.62R
    7.62N
    .30-06
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by vivelacolo View Post
    I usually do not comment on values but since the question is more about generality I will make an exception.
    The last two 49/56 I bought in the past 6 months were never more than $350.00
    The first one appeared to be one that never went for rearsenal.

It is not in perfect condition, like the rearsenaled ones, but considering the fact that it appears never to have been tinkered with, it is in extremely good condition.
    The second one is a rearsenal

In almost "mint" condition, I got it with 4 magazines, 5 boxes of cartridges and a copy of the Proud Promise. I got it from a friend who wanted to get rid of it, To make him stop the downward going price I said I will take it at $300.00, I am sure he would even have gone lower.
    The price on Gunbroker are in my opinion a litlle high, however everyonce in a while some great bargains pop, few months ago a complete 49-56 with APX with a "buy it now" price of $300.00, it did not last very long.
    Remember that at one point you could buy one of these for $129.00.And there are some rares ones out there.

Best regards
    Robert Olivier
    Robert, I did not know that MAC made the MAS 49/56 series? First rifle I have seen with the MAC stamp. Thanks for the posting.
    ----
    Alea iacta est
    7.5 MAS
    7.62R
    7.62N
    .30-06
    ----

I gave 300.00 for this one !Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01389.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	458995

Quote Originally Posted by famas44 View Post
    Robert, I did not know that MAC made the MAS 49/56 series? First rifle I have seen with the MAC stamp. Thanks for the posting.
    Unless I am really missing something, that photo is a very good Photo Shop creation, not a real rifle. It's really well done. Compare the two images and note the common points of reference. I don't think Robert was trying to fool anyone because he placed a couple of red flags in the image (i.e., CAL. 9,5 and 1946-56).
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Unless I am really missing something, that photo is a very good Photo Shop creation, not a real rifle. It's really well done. Compare the two images and note the common points of reference. I don't think Robert was trying to fool anyone because he placed a couple of red flags in the image (i.e., CAL. 9,5 and 1946-56).
    Good to know. Nothing looked correct about that photo.
    ----
    Alea iacta est
    7.5 MAS
    7.62R
    7.62N
    .30-06
    ----

The serial number could also be a hint!
    This post contains the Amish virus. Since the Amish have no electricity or computers, you are on the honor system. Please delete all your files. Thank you