I need a tutorial on South American Mausers - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a tutorial on South American Mausers

I forgot to mention it, but the sling is not authentic. It looked good on the rifle, so I used it.

The numbers are all matching except the bolt.

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter2 View Post
    I am surprised none of the other responders did not mention the Steyr made Persian Mausers (8mm but so what). Since like the Swedes they did not have a war during the time they purchased them (the Iraq war happened after they had gone to semi auto infantry weapons) all of those I have seen are in excellent shape and with a good load are as accurate as most of the others.
    I would not however recommend a Mauser supplied to Haiti, I don't care how the seller raves about it.
    Another thing, depanding on where you live check out the pawn shops.
    Occasionnally you can find some acceptable ones there and most pawnshop owners will haggle.
    I guess no one has mentioned the Persian Mausers because the thread is on South American Mausers. Also, AFAIK Steyr never made any Mausers for Persia. All Mausers for Iran were made by Mauser Oberndorf or DWM before WW I, and Brno in Czechoslovakia, FN, and the Tehran machinegun and rifle plant after WW I.
    Regards,
    John

I have just aquired a model 1935 carbinePeruvan Mauser Does anyone have info on this rifle. I can not find anything on the web

Attachment 293511Attachment 293510Attachment 293509Attachment 293512Attachment 293508 Attachment 293507

of thes rifles. I have not been able to find any info on the web

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Default Scarcity of Argentine M. 1909 Mausers: Condition, Matching #s, and Completeness

Argentine 1909 rifles are still fairly common. They become scarcer as you go for condition, matching numbers, and completeness. My 1909 shown below is mint, all matching, and complete with the matching numbered muzzle cover and test target.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 08.jpg   09.jpg   10.jpg   11.jpg   12.jpg   01.jpg  

02.jpg   03.jpg   04.jpg   05.jpg   06.jpg   07.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ncsammy View Post
    Argentine 1909 rifles are still fairly common. They become scarcer as you go for condition, matching numbers, and completeness. My 1909 shown below is mint, all matching, and complete with the matching numbered muzzle cover and test target.
    Never seen a numbered test target. Thanks for the pictures.
    "Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Hello John, I need your help in identifying a F.N. carbine made for Colombia 30.06 cal. 17.3 in. barrel S.n 2143 sporterized on original stock all matching parts can not find mfg. date I have been told it was aM-1950, and was there was no such thing!!! Any help Appreciated Thanks, tony-08

Rariest from my point of view the Ecudorian, Bolivian, and the Uruguan. Why because I Don't have them nor have I Ever seen any of the 3 other than pictures. So naturally I'd be buying should any come along. Have a extra DWM Argentine 1909 calvary carbine for trade + whatever. The Brazilian and Argentines are very nice But my vote for the niciest and prettiest goes to the 1909 Peruivan.

NCsammy, I'am impressed my DID NOT have the target ! What's the story on that ?? Got mine from Interarms ca 1975, it was excellent matching and $127 seems like . Stupidly should have bought SEVERAL, but only got the one.

I used to see some of the short 98 version of cavalry carbines, but not anymore, especially any in good shape. I always thought they had the most appeal. Do any of you see 98 South American cavalry carbines on the market?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tony-08 View Post
    Hello John, I need your help in identifying a F.N. carbine made for Colombia 30.06 cal. 17.3 in. barrel S.n 2143 sporterized on original stock all matching parts can not find mfg. date I have been told it was aM-1950, and was there was no such thing!!! Any help Appreciated Thanks, tony-08
    Hi Tony,
    Sorry I missed your post. I guess I forgot all about this thread! Regarding the terms "M1950", I have been unable to find any Belgian military, FN military, or FN customer literature which called these rifles the "M1950". The term does however exist in the advertisements in Interarms/Ye Olde Hunter ads in the "American Rifleman" in the 1960's. What "M1950" has come to signify is an FN military rifle or carbine with a double broach cut barrel.

Regarding the manufacturing date for your carbine, FN, as far as I known, did not date these rifles, although you can now email FN and get a date from them. If your carbine has a double broach cut barrel, its manufacture is likely after WW II, and probably after the 1948-1950 time frame.
    Regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    I used to see some of the short 98 version of cavalry carbines, but not anymore, especially any in good shape. I always thought they had the most appeal. Do any of you see 98 South American cavalry carbines on the market?
    Thanks.
    Hi John,
    The short versons of 98 carbines (with 16-18 inch barrels) are out there and some are available in large numbers....but they tend not be be South American contract Mausers. (I'm thinking of carbines like the Iranian M1949.) In South American arms, the Colombian M1924 (m1950) c and the Mexican M1924 show up occasionally, but often in miserable condition. The best and most available of the South American carbines is the Mauser Oberndorf banner Chilean M1935. This too is a cavalry/mounted police carbine, but with a slighly long barrel.
    Regards,
    John

Mr. Wall,
    Thank you for your reply.
    I'm trying to figure out if I have an original Venezulean FN 24/30 Carbine. In comparing it to the pictures in Mauser Military Rifles of the World, the receiver has the markings of the Short Rifle and there is no lower sling swivel, only a side swivel.
    Also, the only serial numbers are on the bolt and receiver, none on the stock or elsewhere that I can find. I didn't take it apart to see if there is a number on the inside of the stock.
    I've tried to attach pictures without success, but would appreciate whatever help you can provide.
    Thanks,
    John

I recently encountered my first Mauser 1910 - Argentine contract. Being a German collector I was not aware that this model existed.

I own a model 1935 belgian made mauser. It was made for peru and has their war crest on the receiver. It was converted from 7.65 x 53 to 30.06 when they bought a supply of m 1 garands to have their rifles all firing the same round. It has all matching serial numbers on the receiver, stock, and bolt. It has a great two stage trigger and is in immaculate condition. I only paid $125.00 for it in 1979. It is the only gun in my collection i would never sell. I could never replace it. It is all original and shoots great. When all of ar rifles are broke the mausers will still be busting caps.

Default Unfired Venzuelan..

This came in the mail today and I couldn't be happier!! Never been fired or messed with

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12