Thread: SKS gas valve and lever question

Default SKS gas valve and lever question

Hello all,

I have two questions about my SKS rifle.

I recently aquired this rifle and took it apart yesterday to clean.
    After watching a few youtube vids on the process and getting the gun back together I noticed that my rifle
    does not have that little ' gas valve ' stuck in the end near the port.

I do have the longer pushrod that slipped into the gas chamber, and then the shorter 3 " one with the spring that
    went in under the sight.

Do I need the gas valve ? I really cant find anyplace where it would fit. Enclosed is a picture of the area.

Second question is the little lever does not go back down to resting, closed position, after gas chamber stuff is assembled.
    Is this okay ?
    In the upright position, where it is now, is the position where the gas chamber can be released... but I cant get it to swing back down.
    Is this normal ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sks.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	445263Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sks1.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	445264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sks2 (2).JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	291.8 KB 
ID:	445265Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sks4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	445266

Name:	sks3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	445267 here is the lever, doesnt want to drop to lower position. Is this normal ?
    I dont want the chamber flying off when fired, ha.

Not sure I understand what you mean by a "gas" valve? The pictures of your gun look just like mine. I don't see what it is you think you're missing....Secondly, the little lever that holds the upper handguard in position can be a little tricky, but it will go down. Try a pin punch or little teeny screwdriver in the hole and pry the lever outward slightly, enough to allow the dimple to come out ofthe upper detent, and you will then be able to close the lever. Do not try to fire the gun with the lever in the up position or you'll lose your upper handguard and piston....The lever must be locked in the down position in order to keep everything in place. Hope this helps.

What you have is a Chinese Type 56 SKS variant set in an ATI/Combat Exchange Monte Carlo stock. Can't tell from the pics but it looks like it is a post ban with the Bayonet lug filed off, but that could be an illusion on my part. Anyway, only the Yugo M59/66 has the gas valve you are referring to. The valve is so you can shut off the gas system in order to operate the grenade launcher that is an integral part of the M59/66 rifle. No other SKS variant has that feature.
    As for your gas tube release lever DO NOT pry the lever outward yet. A lot of times with aftermarket stocks there can be a binding between the lower stock and the hand guard. Tapco T-6 stocks are notorious for this. When that happens, if you install the main stock body first and then the gas tube, the binding at the HG will not allow the gas tube to seat properly at the rear thus causing the problem you are having with not being able to push the lever all the way down. This is what I would do as a process of elimination;
    1. Remove the stock body then try and install the gas tube first. If the lever closes completely then that is your problem for sure. At this you can either just remember to install the tube first on re-assembly or file on the HG where it is binding against the stock in order to give some pressure relief.
    2. If the gas tube locking lever still won't seat all the way it could be that the aftermarket HG has caused a shift in the position of the rear ferrule which is causing the end of the tube to bind against the lever cam at the front of the rear sight base. If this is the case then just a little filing on the angle of the tube at that point should give the required relief for it to fully seat. If this is what you end up doing remember that a little is a lot when dealing with firearms tolerances. Accordingly, take 1-3 swipes with a fine bastard file or diamond file then recheck for fit.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by greatguns; 07-14-2011 at 12:42 PM.
    If if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas.

i have had tight ones his explanation is most likely the route to take....but.....add a little heavy grease on the touching suffices......usually does it
    GOD<><SAVE THE CONSTITUTION / STATES RIGHTS><>NRA

Thank You ALL for the super comments and expert advice !

You know how when you get a new gun, you dont really 'know' it yet, until you take it apart, seems a little tricky, then, the second times takes like 10 mins and can easily do, ha... this is the case with the SKS.

The gas tube locking lever is binding, and I am working on it now... I believe it is #2, the lever dam is binding.
    I did us light gun oil on everything , but lube is magic so will try now.

Just to make sure.... when you say a little filing on the tube.. are you referring to the longer tube, or the 3" one with the spring ? I imagine the actual gas tube.

The stock is fairly tight, although it does move maybe 1/16" if I grasp the area under the tube and wiggle off the gas chamber thing.

Thanks also for the info on the model, and gas tube thing.... yeah the vid on youtube showed a gas valve, small that was installed ahead of the gas chamber assembly and locked in place inside.

The gun really is cool, looking forward to firing it today if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mack1967 View Post
    Just to make sure.... when you say a little filing on the tube.. are you referring to the longer tube, or the 3" one with the spring ? I imagine the actual gas tube.
    Okay, a little nomenclature on the SKS for ya. The short rod with the spring that is under the rear sight is the gas piston extension rod and return spring. Commonly called the OP rod, but the ATF does not consider it an actual operating rod on the SKS and therefore is not a qualifying 922 compliance part.(but that is another topic, lol) The cavity for that rod is inside the Rear sight base or RSB. Unless you are doing some major modification to your rifle, never do anything to those parts of your rifle other than replace worn spring and rod.
    At the rear end of the actual gas tube you will see that it is filed at an angle along with a small portion of the rear hand guard(HG) ferrule. that angle is where you want to file if needed making sure you maintain the angle. I could tell from the pic in your second post that it looked like the ferrule was being forced up and forward by the lever cam. It may just be a burr, but it is common for those ATI brand HGs to be just a tad longer than the original Chinese wood HG.
    EDIT: check too to see if the ferrule is protruding past the tube itself. If that is the case then you may just need to file the ferrule flush to the tube. This could happen depending on the person who originally installed the MC stock.

The stock is fairly tight, although it does move maybe 1/16" if I grasp the area under the tube and wiggle off the gas chamber thing.
    The way the Monte Carlo stock is made it will move when the HG/gas tube is removed. Definitely try to install the tube with the main body of the stock removed first to see if the lever seats fully into its down position. Sometimes you need to shift or rock the top of the rear ferrule rearward to get the cam to lock down over it. Try that before you file on it. Also, I had one Chinese SKS(a paratrooper that I had to push the OP rod back a little with a pin punch to get the tube to seat down all the way. For some reason the cam did not hold the OP rod back far enough and the tube would bind up on the rod. Just slide the punch under the tube to push the rod back while applying downward pressure on the tube.

Thanks also for the info on the model, and gas tube thing.... yeah the vid on youtube showed a gas valve, small that was installed ahead of the gas chamber assembly and locked in place inside.

The gun really is cool, looking forward to firing it today if possible.
    Yep, SKSs are fun to shoot and inexpensive too. Just don't expect sub-MOA groups with them

Name:	g2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	445406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g3.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	298.3 KB 
ID:	445407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gaschamber1.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	286.4 KB 
ID:	445408

Hey Greatguns,

Many thanks for taking the time for the crash course on the gas chamber scene.
    It looks really simple now, almost cartoonish, seeing how the lever plate just holds down the tube, so it doesnt go flying when shot.

I filed it down, just a little on the upper little triange edge, widening it out a little, making the v bigger.
    Slipped the tube back on and all is well, the little lever drops down nice.

Im glad I pursued this, I could have shot the gun and it would not have been pretty, haha

Many thanks again.

I posted a few pics of the end tube, lever plate, and so forth.

Mack: All new SKS owners should download this manual. It's a Vietnam-era US Army publication that explains the differences between Chinese, Yugo, E German, etc. Along with takedown, cleaning and lubrication instructions.

Yep that's a good manual to have. A good website to go to to learn all the different nuances of the SKS variants is www.yooperj.com/SKS.htm.BAK

Mack you are quite welcome, glad I could be of help. Those tubes are made to fit fairly tight so when an aftermarket stock/HG is installed it only takes a small change to get them not to fit(1/64th") then you have to re-fit them upon re-installation.

Yeah Many Thanks to Greatguns and looter ..... I will download the info tonite.

Hey I went to the range today at about 5pm, the bullethole in iowa, and fired the SKS for the first time.

I shot about 45 rounds and all worked flawlessly. The gun is a little heavier than most but Im a strong guy so all the better.
    My girl made a video too, and I will post the youtube link a little later.

I shot, surprisingly well... at 52 feet, 42 of the rounds were in the 5" circle, with many groupings only 2" apart.

A super rifle, and I already know it does not recieve its fair share of praise.

The bullethole in omaha nebraska I mean... I live by the iowa border and get confused ha.

I will post a few pics of my targets also, a little later.

Hey, glad to hear you got it fixed up and working. Look forward to seeing the vid. BTW, you not all that far from me. I'm just down I-29 in KCMO

Oh yeah, looks like you are in KC... nice city.

I cleaned the SKS yesterday, broke it all down and looks good... a few pics.

Keep rockin all....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sks apart.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	446441