Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mylonas rifle

Quote Originally Posted by KeithDoyon View Post

Harder question is: "What is there that I would like, but yet would NOT trade for? Even if offered a bit of extra cash?
    For example, to pretty much complete what I would like to assemble for a collection, I would like to be able to acquire everthing above, plus a:

Austrian Kropatchek
    Bavarian Werder M1869 (early, unconverted rifle)
    Bulgarian Berdan II
    Belgian Albini-Braendlin M1777/1867
    Chinese manufactured Rolling Block
    Egyptian Snider
    French-Springfield-Peabody or Enfield-Peabody
    French Gras Fusil de Cavalrie M1866-74
    Luxumberg Rolling Block
    Romanian Marked Peabody
    Romanian Peabody-Martini
    Russian Baranov
    Russian Berdan I
    Serbian Roberts
    Serbian Peabody
    Serbian Mauser-Milovanovitch
    Spanish Royal Bodyguard Rolling Block
    Spanish Berdan 3-band infantry rifle
    Turkish Snider infantry rifle

In truth I wound't trade it for any of the above. I'm the patient type you see. I also don't collect every varient of a rifle. For example I already have a Berdan II infantry rifle, I don't need another irrespective of nationality, I have a fully matching Gras infantry rifle, I don't need the other varients. I am also limiting to western Europe with a small exception for Russia since it was a big player in western europe during the 19th century, hence I have no interest in Balkan or Turkish rifles.

My list is rather smaller in terms of breechloaders:
    Unconverted Italian Vetterli rifle or short rifle
    Terssen rifle or carbine
    A good clean Krnka
    Norwegian Jarmann
    Mylonas (we can hope can't we)

I also have a few wants in terms of muzzleloaders but that is another story.
    My own virtual museum, growing one entry at a time. Keep checking back!
    http://militarygunsofeurope.eu/

Hello Gents,

I'm getting caught up after a couple days on the road. Keith, I saw your email and will respond tomorrow. As for me, I'm exactly like Fabian. I simply don't trade. I purchase. I'm patient and have the vast majority of the common weapons and have been patient for years regarding the rest. I'm also very disciplined when it comes to buying and NOT trading I'll sell everything slowly over time when I'm semi-retired, but never expect to find EVERYTHING that I would like to have to fill gaps in the Collection. And besides, IF I ever managed to find everything, it would take all the fun out of the hunt!

As for pricing, when it's a one of a kind or once in a lifetime, you have to go with your gut feel and how much disposable income you have at the time. If you are a trader, then you have to estimate what your trading stock is worth and count that as disposable income. Based on my own level of interest, if I were flush with cash, I would go as high as $3K U.S. for a very good+ "Bronze" Comblain. Some folks would probably go higher while some would say that was too much. It gets to be quite personal with most collectors for particular rifles or bayonets.

Just my $ .02 worth. Beautiful rifle Fabian!

Warmest regards,

JPS

Thanks JPS. She is used but has been well loved and is still perfectly shootable (and shoots quite well). I found her by chance in the online stock of an "armurerie" in Marseille for a very reasonable price.

Nick is online now Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Quote Originally Posted by FABIAN23 View Post
    Thanks JPS. She is used but has been well loved and is still perfectly shootable (and shoots quite well)...
    Fabian,

I am dying to find ONE cartridge for the Comblain! Any spares on your end?
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не пье - то вiн або хворий, або подлюка." - Невідомий українець

This thread is amazing! My Mylonas is definately chambered for the Albini cartridge. For anyone curious about what the inside of a Mylonas rifle looks like, here it is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mylonas.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	449431

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Fabian,

I am dying to find ONE cartridge for the Comblain! Any spares on your end?

Only my own reloads? Do they count???

Nick, there are some regularly up on online outdoor sports auction sites. Don't know about the legality of shipping since they are technically still live.

Counterbore, am I right in assuming that the Mylonas is not self cocking? From the breakdown it really does look like the result of a one night stand between a Rolling Block and a Comblain

Quote Originally Posted by FABIAN23 View Post
    .. Don't know about the legality of shipping since they are technically still live.
    I meant an original deactivated cartridge for display. Any idea where I can find one?

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не пье - то вiн або хворий, або подлюка." - Невідомий українець

I'll snoop around

I am looking forward to it, Fabian!

Fabian23 - It is not self-cocking. To open, the hammer must be at half cock; otherwise the lip at the top of the firing pin hits the top of the hammer, and won't let you lower the breech block. This is to ensure the firing pin can clear the indented primer after firing. Otherwise, the tip of the firing pin would probably catch and break. The firing pin is hinged on the pin in the side of the breech block.

Counterbore,

Fantastic picture! Thank you very much, I have never seen the internals of an actual rifle!

I was in the store room of the Dutch army museum today having a play with various transitional rifles of the mid-late 19th century when I caught a glimpse of the tell-tale front lever of a Mylonas rifle in amongst some RRBs. I immediately asked if I could have a play. One thing that struck me was that since the hammer is still very prominent when cocked, there is a very short space between the hammer and chamber for which to extract or load a cartridge when the breech block is lowered. In both the RRB and Comblain, the hammer is displaced out of the chamber path. I can see now why it wasn't very popular.... Still it was nice to be able to fondle one.

Also played with a few of the crazier experimental magazine systems tested for the Dutch Beaumont before selection of the Vitali magazine system!

nice info
    GOD<><SAVE THE CONSTITUTION / STATES RIGHTS><>NRA

The PHOTOS Fabian, the Photos!!

Yes, I too have seen the Loch Ness monster, and Bigfoot has walked across my back yard .... that was just before I was abducted by aliens!!!

Where are the photos!! )

Sorry, but no photos, I spotted it just as I was leaving. More important to me was to be able to fiddle with it. In any case my photos would have been no different than those already on this thread.

I also tried to smuggle one of their lovely Terssen carbines out but they wouldn't let me

Hello Counterbore,
    Here Oscardeux from Belgium who initiated all this story.

Congratulations for your Mylonas.

It is very interesting your Mylonas is ALSO chambered for the Albini Cartridge (and not for the Gras ammunition), as is the rifle of my friend (who does not know English enough, that's why I am writing for him).
    Is the number of the rifle still readable? 601 is the number of the rifle of my friend
    Who is the maker? Francotte, or Nagant as the rifle of my friend?
    Is there any date under the barrel? 1875 for the rifle in question.
    many thanks in advance for your answers.
    Oscardeux

Oscardeux - It was made by Nagant, number 5646, and dated 1876 on the barrel. I made a chamber cast years ago, and it took me a long time to identify what it was chambered for. I will try to find my notes with measurements of the chamber - if not, I'll make another cast. I want to make a few cases and shoot this rifle, but not too much!

If the chamber is cut like my Albini and Comblain chambers, you might find that the chamber is actually has very little bottle neck portion past the shoulder with the rifling starting almost immediately after the shoulder. This is because the Albini round was meant to blow out when shot. It makes reloading a right PITA

Hello Counterbore,
    It is quite late now here, I am tired and I realised I was going to fast in my answer, as I do not know yet the exact cartridge for your rifle. So please neglect the mail just sent.
    And I hope that meanwhile, you found your notes back...
    let me know !

have a good day/night

oscardeux

Hello Fabian 23
    I fully agree your experiences with the Albini/Comblain cartridge: it expands a lot at firing...

Many thanks for the information of the Mylonas rifle at Delft.
    I shall ask them to look under the barrel for the date and the caliber (10,6 if comblain) and to chamber a Gras or a Comblain cartridge in the chamber.

Tot ziens
    oscardeux

the comblains on the JPS picture

in my opinion the first one with the sword bayonet is a chilean police comblain not a 1882 model GC,
    the garde civique infantry 1882 is longer and has a gras like sword bayonet see www.abl1914.be you will also find there the forester comblain with his bayonet
    greetings from flanders
    jarmann

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12