Thread: 37 Femaru questions

Default 37 Femaru questions

A buddy of mine inherited a super clean (the bluing is almost TOO nice) Femaru from his dad and wants me to help him find a proper holster for it.
    I'm surfing Gumbroker and Epay and keep running across what appear to be new luft marked holsters.
    So, are these too good to be true in like new condition?
    Also, were P37 Femaru in .32 issued to Luft guys only (he's been told his was Luft issue)?
    There seem to be multiple Luft holsters and non German versions only..
    His pistol is dated 37 but does have WaA present, what's up with that?
    Just kickin it, slurping on a Brawndo and tuning up the Killdozer...

Quote Originally Posted by chasdev View Post
    A buddy of mine inherited a super clean (the bluing is almost TOO nice) Femaru from his dad and wants me to help him find a proper holster for it.
    I'm surfing Gumbroker and Epay and keep running across what appear to be new luft marked holsters.
    So, are these too good to be true in like new condition?
    Also, were P37 Femaru in .32 issued to Luft guys only (he's been told his was Luft issue)?
    There seem to be multiple Luft holsters and non German versions only..
    His pistol is dated 37 but does have WaA present, what's up with that?
    Below are pictures of my WWII holster for the Hungarian Model 37 pistol. It was made in 1942 and the interior is marked. "For Pistole 37(Hungarian) Cal 765m/m" This is what you should be looking for when looking for a holster. The Luftwaffe story is just a story. Without proof marks showing the pistol actually went to a Luftwaffe unit, it is just a myth to say it was used by the Luftwaffe. Without any proof, I can say that my pistol was used by the SS! As they say, you buy the gun, not the story. I would strong suppect Luftwaffe holster as reproduce fakes. If you can find an original holster like mine, then go for it and forget about the "Luftwaffe Story."

Without a picture to verify that 37 is the year of manufacture, I can not make any comment on that point. Mine has 37 as the Model number and 43 as the year of manufacture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0058.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	260.7 KB 
ID:	446798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0059.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	279.5 KB 
ID:	446797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0060.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	446796
    Last edited by BigBoy99; 07-29-2011 at 10:48 AM.
    Bill

"General Washington did not defeat the British Army with freedom of speech. He shot them."

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again!

The Waa markings I believe are Army acceptance marks.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

I was lucky a few years ago in that a friend gave me a bring-back Mod 37. This made me do a little research, and look for an appropriate holster. I believe all the Ebay offerings are modern reproductions. As far as originals go, there are leather versions, as in the post above, and the "tropical" holsters made of leather trimmed canvas. I was lucky to find a tropical holster at a gun show.

As far as dates, etc, it is my understanding that that the 7.65mm versions were made for the Germans in two contracts, 1941 and 1943. The acceptance stamps will be either jhv/41 or jhv/43. While the "Pistole Mod. 37" or Femaru was adopted by Hungary in 1937, the versions produced for the Germans in 1941 and 1943 are different in caliber and by the presence of the additional thunb safety.

I am not sure that Luftwaffe issue is "just a story", in that collectors much more knowledgeable than myself have reason to think it is true.

Your friend has a nice pistol. Some more information can be found at http://www.tague.at/pistolen/en_inde...ges/en_m37.htm and also at: http://www.hungariae.com/FromP37.htm

Are they any examples with specific Luft final inspection markings along the same lines (but not the same as) the rifles carry?
    I'll take a closer look at the one in question and take note of production date, serial number and inspector markings in few days and post up again.
    Just kickin it, slurping on a Brawndo and tuning up the Killdozer...

The Luftwaffe used the same WaA markings as did the Heer, although there are some early bayonets with Luftwaffe markings. Generally, the Luftwaffe was below the Heer on the weapons priority list. They got a lot of secondary weapons with the P37 as a good example.
    click for photo: http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14422.png

"Old men do not suffer fools gladly." -- Fritz, 3/17/14

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

An original Femaru Model 37 holster recently sold - see http://www.legacy-collectibles.com/n...del-37-holster.

They are not cheap, but can still be found.

Some of the ones on Ebay could be original. The Russians took everything, including a large number of holsters which were in like new condition. These have been found in storage in various of the contries that used to belong to the USSR. A lot of these were sold on Ebay in years past. Most likely, considering the prices, they are being forged now days.
    Charlie

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

Quote Originally Posted by chasdev View Post
    Are they any examples with specific Luft final inspection markings along the same lines (but not the same as) the rifles carry?
    I'll take a closer look at the one in question and take note of production date, serial number and inspector markings in few days and post up again.
    I have not heard of any with Luftwafe markings. The pistols have been discussed at times on Jan Still's board, which is a sister board.
    Charlie

Chasdev,
    The Luftwaffe included not only the German Air Force but also the airborne units, Fallschrimjaeger. Thus it is quite possible that Hungarian M37s were used by the Luftwaffe. I saw a month ago at a gunshow a M37 made for the Germans with German acceptance marks, but none that indicated it was accepted by the Luftwaffe.
    At the Spring Stark County Ohio Gun Collectors' show a seller had an Hungarian marked M37 hoster in fair condition (after all it is approximately 70 years old) for which he was asking $150. They are not cheap.
    Best wishes.

The story I've heard about the ebay Model 37 holsters is that they are indeed period produced, but never issued (no acceptance stamps on these holsters). They remain in that condition, you will note none of them have wear markes from holding a pistol. The Hungarian issue holsters are completely different. of course the pistols themselves are different too (different caliber, the german issue version has an additional safety, etc). As a matter of fact, the holster pictured in the link toward the top of this thread (post #7) appears to be one of those very holsters (the all leather one).
    Last edited by meyerse; 08-29-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Interesting that it is marked "ONLY (Nur) for" the the 7.65 caliber (.32 ACP) Hungarian M-37.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Default Compare

Compare Hungarian/German issue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20110829_120856.jpg   IMG_20110829_120925.jpg  

Nice photos meyerse. Thanks for sharing.

No worries, can post the pistols if there is interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Interesting that it is marked "ONLY (Nur) for" the the 7.65 caliber (.32 ACP) Hungarian M-37.
    A fair number of holster types/models are marked "only for" x, y, or z pistol; simple reason is they are not universal and given the dimensions of the particular pistol, that model is what the holster was designed for.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by 03man View Post
    A fair number of holster types/models are marked "only for" x, y, or z pistol; simple reason is they are not universal and given the dimensions of the particular pistol, that model is what the holster was designed for.
    Yeah, suppose so, But mking special holsters for all those different tyoes must ahve been (like a lot of Germany's things) a logistics bitch.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

There were 2 different holsters used by the Germans for the Femaru 37. A more common all leather holster as has been shown in the pictures here and the rather rare Luftwaffe holster made of leather and canvas. I have the luftwaffe version that came with my vet acquired model 37 some years ago. My model 37 is not luftwaffe marked, however. If I can dig it out of my gun closet, I'll try to post a picture of the holster.

The canvas and leather holster is the first one shown on the FIRST link of post #4.
    My understanding is these 'tropical' holsers are proper for 41 dated guns.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerse View Post
    The canvas and leather holster is the first one shown on the FIRST link of post #4.
    My understanding is these 'tropical' holsers are proper for 41 dated guns.
    Thanks, I didn't notice the link.