Gunboards Forums banner

Value of a matching Israeli FN K98 sniper with matching scope

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  ruskiegunlover 
#1 · (Edited)
I have 3 and only one is 100% matching the others are matching rifles and non #matching scopes. I have had these for 5 years now.

How rare are these I hear only 20 or so were imported by a Kalifornia importer.

#2 ·
I bought one of the rifles about the same time you did, $400. Then added a correct, but not matching scope, case, cover, etc., about a year later (off by 5 numbers) for $1,200. So I would need at least $1,600 just to get out of it. Which, on this very little known variation may be hard. Most collectors have never even heard of it. It is covered in a couple books, but pretty sparse. A beautiful Swiss Wild scope and mount set up, heavy and solid. The 20 or so sounds right as they came out of a police department or secondary militia agency - not very many. I would troll mine at $2,295 or $2,495 and see what kind of response I got. Might be a hard one to sell in that price range. Skid

#3 · (Edited)
I bought one about a year ago, it is a beautiful rifle (excellent condition) with non-matching scope. The previous owner had found the scope seperately. It didn't meet reserve for a few listings on gunbroker and I bought it through the trader on the boards. I paid $1700, I would think that it is worth about that or slightly more. I don't recall hearing of another matching one. I seem to remember hearing that 50 were imported; not very many regardless.

#5 · (Edited)
I was on a sniper buying kick for a fiew years and figured these would be worth a bit in the future. I really wanted a German k98 sniper But, with all the fakes I figured you cant fake one of these. I located my matching scope at Reese surplus for 1400.00. I remember when I called off the serial numbers to him the first thing he jokingly asked Do you want to sell that rifle.

Amazingly enough I was able to reunite this combo. I then took the set up to the range and with 168gr Fed Gold Met Match shot 3/4 moa with 5 rounds.

All three of the rifles have a perfect park finish but the wood has seen use.
These were well preserved with a clear cosmo that seems to ooze if left in the sun.

PS when Scopetica.com comes back on line you can locate your origional WILD 4x scope for these rifles. The Israelis name is Shraga Kurz. I have made several purchases from him.

#9 · (Edited)
I will also post my non matching scope numbers maybe we can do a stickey and try to get some rifle scope combos back together. I do not think there were over 1000 made

one I have in hand on the matching rifle 200572
all others start at 200###
I will get the other numbers later

The Israeli Snipers were never re barreled They came from FN with the 7.62x51 barrels.
Now the other Israeli 98s I have seen were re barreled Nazi K98s with bad corrosion.
Not the case with the snipers.

From what info I have read and emails from S Kurz these were replaced by Galil snipers, M14 and the Remington M24. These were then re issued to the home guard. I bet these rifles have seen some action.

#10 ·
Isreali FN 98 Sniper

For those who were asking about some pictures, this one was a little closer to the top of the pile, so here you are. If anyone has Scope #200664 let me know. My scope is 200559, close, but no cigar. These are incredibly accurate, and nice to shoot (heavy, excelent optics, and large butt pad!). I added the Egyptian sling, thought it looked good! The stock is slotted for 98 style sling, but also for bottom sling. Enjoy - Skid

#12 ·
Israeli K98 Sniper

Sssniper great pictures of the Israeli Sniper.
I like and collect Israeli firearms.
I have a few questions about your Israeli sniper rifle.
Is the firearm in 7.62?
Is it one of the FN manufactured rifles with the Israeli crest on the receiver?
Is there any information in texts about the rifle?
What is a specific reference you use for information on Sniper rifles?

Thanks

Al

#13 ·
Yes, all Original FN Snipers came from the FN factory in 7.62Nato.
This was a special run in co-ordination with the Swiss optics maker Wild
(I believe pronounced "Viild"). I am not sure whether Wild or FN mounted the scopes.
Although the Scope Serial numbers match the rifles, so I would guess Wild.
Not sure about the Isreali crest - covered by scope base.
I probably have about 50 books on or that include info on sniper rifles.
I will pick a couple that are still in print and get back to you.
Also I will see which one has the Isreali listed.
Hope this helps - Skid
ps: Jimmy, not sure what to tell you on PM, I get msg's all the time, 2 this morning?

#16 ·
Mathewmo, you don't like the "white" rubber eyepiece??? ha ha! Wild was/is (now Leica) a optics company - but this was, as far as I know, their first and only foray into rifle scope optics. Also probably why the base and mount system is so totally over engineered! At least you were able to get a matching scope. Skid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.