Gunboards Forums banner

MK12 MOD1 Sniper Rifle

15K views 61 replies 12 participants last post by  SturmGrenadier 
#1 ·
I chose to build mine as close as I could to the USMC fielded MK12 MOD1 and went with these parts...

High Caliber Sales MK12 MOD 1 upper http://www.highcalibersales.com/Site/MK12_MOD1.html

LMT Defender 2000 Complete A2 lower

GEISSELE SSA-E trigger group http://geissele.com/supersemi-automaticenhancedssa-etrigger.aspx

Leupold MARK 4 MR/T M2 2.5-8X36 Illuminated MIL DOT P/N 67920

The Leupold only comes wih .308 knobs so...

Kenton Industries M2 TTC knobs calibrated for the Black Hills .223 77gr. OTM ammunition. http://www.kentonindustries.com/index.cfm

A.R.M.S. #22 30mm High rings

Harris S-BRM 6" to 9" bipod

KMW POD-LOC http://www.kmwlrs.com/Pod-Loc subpage.htm

Ops Inc 12th Model suppressor

A few pics of the USMC fielded MK12 MOD1...

Now my rifle...

Attachments

See less See more
#30 ·
Chad. It looks great and looks like you have done it right and totally first class.

Sean, I love those Finn snipers so I understand your conflict. Keep the Finn and give it time so you can have one of these or your next selection.

On the next selection, I am leaning more toward an SR-25, which I have always loved, or the new Les Baer .308 featured in the recent Am. Rifleman. An AR platform in 308 producing 0.5 MOA gets my blood pumping. See page 84.

#32 ·
They're beautiful and a great piece of history but I'm not a collector of them Sean.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it and you know how I strive for authenticity if I can't own an actual genuine article.

Snow, you and me both as that's the last piece I need for a U.S.M.C. M4 clone.

All Colt rifle with the KAC NT4 suppressor too...

Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Assault rifle

As you can see with these USMC sniper team members in Afghanistan...

Soldier Military Military camouflage Army Infantry
Soldier Army Military Military camouflage Infantry

#33 ·
at one of the larger gunshows in my area, a guy has a SR25 with all the trimmings and the suppressor in the cut out pelican case for $7500 plus pics of the rifle in action in the sandbox

#34 ·
That's a great price then. The people who did the selling on all of these, I believe, were the ones who owned the one that I saw in Louisville. They said that was their last one as a distributor. Now they are all on the secondary market.

#35 ·
Great looking gun and great pictures. Envy....

#37 ·
A bit about the ammo

Black Hills is the mfg of the ammo for the USMC MK12 MOD 1 rifles and it is 77 gr OTM.

Initially designated Mk 262 Mod 0 which is the AA53 cartridge.

It was later revised to use a cannelured bullet which is the current issue and designated Mk 262 Mod 1.

USMC also uses the Special Match, Moly Coated AA67 cartridge designated Mk 294 Mod 0.

In July of 2005...

A three-year contract to provide .223 and 9mm match ammunition to the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit (USAMU) has been awarded to Black Hills Ammunition. This isn't a first. Black Hills has won the Army contract for match ammo continuously since 1996. The contract could total more than 4.5 million rounds of ammunition. A separate contract was recently awarded for .223 with 77- and 80-grain bullets for use by the Army's All Guard Team.

Black Hills has also provided ammunition for the USMC Rifle Team using a 77-grain Sierra MatchKing bullet. The round, designated MK 294 MOD 0, must deliver a one MOA group at 300 yards (10 shots must group within 3" at 300 yards). Black Hills has supplied such ammo to the Marine Corps since 1997 and hopes to continue supplying the Corps with a bid on an upcoming five-year contract, which could total more than 6 million rounds.

The ammo I purchased and will shoot exclusively in the rifle is the BH 77 gr OTM in 5.56mm

#57 ·
use
Black Hills is the mfg of the ammo for the USMC MK12 MOD 1 rifles and it is 77 gr OTM.

Initially designated Mk 262 Mod 0 which is the AA53 cartridge.

It was later revised to use a cannelured bullet which is the current issue and designated Mk 262 Mod 1.

USMC also uses the Special Match, Moly Coated AA67 cartridge designated Mk 294 Mod 0.

In July of 2005...

A three-year contract to provide .223 and 9mm match ammunition to the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit (USAMU) has been awarded to Black Hills Ammunition. This isn't a first. Black Hills has won the Army contract for match ammo continuously since 1996. The contract could total more than 4.5 million rounds of ammunition. A separate contract was recently awarded for .223 with 77- and 80-grain bullets for use by the Army's All Guard Team.

Black Hills has also provided ammunition for the USMC Rifle Team using a 77-grain Sierra MatchKing bullet. The round, designated MK 294 MOD 0, must deliver a one MOA group at 300 yards (10 shots must group within 3" at 300 yards). Black Hills has supplied such ammo to the Marine Corps since 1997 and hopes to continue supplying the Corps with a bid on an upcoming five-year contract, which could total more than 6 million rounds.

The ammo I purchased and will shoot exclusively in the rifle is the BH 77 gr OTM in 5.56mm

I use their 77 grain coated 556 black hills ... amazing stuff in the right rifle. i use their 168 grain 308 coated too. very consistent ammo. has been for years. I think the 556 i am shooting will be a little better than 3" at 300 when she breaks in. It is 1/2 now with less than twenty rounds through it

#38 ·
I am going to do my own loading for this when the time comes. Wideners, coincidentally is offering this bullet for bulk purchase right now. I might have to pick some up in preparation. :)

#40 ·
Thanks Snow...I know the scenario you are talking about.

If you are able to zoom in on the picture you'll see they have a mesh net/screen draped over the hole on the outside wall. Doesn't protect against bullets but from a distance you wouldn't be able to see the scout's silhouette.

#41 ·
Chad---At any time before your build in 5.56 did you consider the .308 or even the 6.5 Grendel for the rifle caliber. Interested in hearing your thoughts on the two verses the one you chose to go with.................

Regards
Art

#42 ·
Hi Art - No sir. Authenticity was the goal. What makes a MK12 a MK12 is the barrel itself. Caliber and contour. The only way I would have considered the 6.5 is if the MK12 MOD 1 was fielded in 6.5.

The .308 would have been the MK11 MOD0 like we mentioned above. That project is way over my budget and I like my .308 bolt guns
Also the USMC is phasing out the MK11 MOD0 with the M110 SASS

Kevin Boland of KAC posted last November:

"USMC took delievery of 250 M110 last month, and is getting aprox 75 a month for the next while, intial contract was for 803 systems, I am not sure of the follow on numbers.

The USMC had funding for aprox 2,600 systems I was told last year when they brought the REPR requirement forward.

From what the USMC PM-IW said all M-14/M-37 EBR systems in the Corps where scheduled to be replaced by the M110 for DM roles, I have no idea on the employment and provisionment of that role however. The Mk11 Mod1 and Mod0 systems the Corps had sourced will also be replaced by the SASS, and additional units will go to augment the SS elements."

Here is a recent article...

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/03/marine-corps-sniper-rifle-m110-031711w/

#43 ·
Im pretty much of the same mentality. I see other guys say they are making reproductions, then change something on it. Say the caliber. Well, it's not a replica now then is it???

Something else may be a little more accurate, but it's splitting hairs. I'd prefer something that can be used in multiple weapons.

#44 ·
From Global Security

AA53, Cartridge, Caliber 5.56mm Special Ball, Long Range Mk 262 Mod 0

The Mk 262 Mod 0 quickly earned an enviable reputation in Afghanistan for excellent accuracy and superior terminal performance. Kills were made with this load out to 700 meters. According to one account, in one engagement two SF operators armed with SPRs killed 75 Taliban with 77 rounds. Upgraded to become the current MK 262 Mod 1, this load features a 77-grain Sierra MatchKing with a cannelure for reliable operation in full-automatic weapons.

Ordnance Gelatin tests showed improvements in depth of initial yaw and consistency over the M855 cartridge. Work began for incorporation of Mil-SPEC primer and cartridge case, packaging and specification. Initial SPR weapons and AA53 field reports very positive. The MK 262 MOD 0 was specifically developed for use in the MK 12 SPR. A total of 27 different Off-the-Shelf cartridges were tested, leading to a down select to three, (73 gr. Berger, 87 gr. PRL, and 77gr. Sierra) Berger sold and moved facilities, causing manufacturing reliability issues, PRL shut down, leaving Sierra. The Navy, Army and USMC match teams used initial COTS load with success.

The manufacture was willing to work with Government requirements. It demonstrated consistent initial yaw in soft tissue between 3-4 inches at ranges from 15' to 300 meters. This enables engagements out to 600 meters (800 possible depending on conditions). It greatly enhances the capability of the M16 or M4A1 Carbine (2 minute of angle accuracy very realistic, vs 3-5 minute of angle with M855). On 28 October 2002 The Virginia Contracting Activity, on behalf of the Defense Intelligence Agency, announced [Solicitation Number MDA908-03-Q-0008] that it intended to solicit and negotiate with Black Hills Ammunition, Inc. on a sole source basis to award a contract for MK262, Mod 0, 5.56MM 77 Grain LR Ammunition.

If no affirmative written documentation, technical specifications, and pricing are received within 5 days of this synopsis challenging this intended award, to the effect that a comparable source is available or that it is more advantageous, a contract will be established with Black Hills Ammunition, Inc., P.O. Box 3090, Rapid City, SD 57709-3090.
Found a pic of what the genuine Leupold BDC turrets look like. Seems you may be able to order from their custom shop. Probably would if I rolled my own but seeing as the commercial BH 77 gr OTM is not as hot as the genuine MK 262 ammo and the Kenton BDC is made for the commercial BH, I'll stick with what I have.

Wheel

#45 ·
There was a site that I saw the other night that had custom turrets for all sorts of scopes. They did military turrets, custom, etc, etc, for all the major manufacturers of scopes.

http://www.kentonindustries.com/

#47 ·

Stupid!

#49 ·
:). I am making progress. At this rate, I should have one in my grubby little fingers by January. Maybe with the suppressor too!

#51 ·
You have one of these now!?

#54 ·
Interesting you resurrected this thread. I was going to do it today. I am on my way to have one of these. I just bought the KAC RAS free float tube tonight. I have almost the whole lower completed. Just need the buffer tube, buffer. Friend has those so they are not on the lower. The upper I just need to barrel( on the wait list); gas block; charging handle; bolt carrier group; and ops inc suppressor and flash hider. Still a way off, but on my way regardless.

#55 ·
Barrel coming from High Caliber Sales in 2-3 weeks! Almost done with my build!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.