Thread: AK-47 Trigger Slap???

Question AK-47 Trigger Slap???

I was shooting my Romanian AK-47 WASR-10 and noticed after about fifty rounds that my trigger finger was hurting. Turns out the trigger on my gun was giving me a sharp and painful trigger slap. A buddy of mine was shooting in the next lane and I asked him if his gun did the same. He said no and said go ahead and shoot it. I did and the trigger was a dream compared to mine. I did notice that his trigger was a Tapco trigger. It is the same as the one in my AK pistol and jus as smooth. I went to Midway and they have a trigger group for sale, but I am thinking that my problem is in the springs in the assembly.

Where am I going wrong? Help.
    Just another voice in the crowd!

The trigger slap is quite common. Although a Tapco trigger is supposed to eliminate the problem, I installed a one on one of my AKs as a test, but still got stung. I wrap a bit of duct tape around my trigger finger and this eliminates the hurt.

Keith

I ended up placing an order for the Tapco double set trigger group. I went to there site and they guarantee their trigger to remove the trigger slap. We will see what happens. HOpe it works. Like I stated on my friend's gun, there was no trigger slap. Thanks for your reply pal.

The problem is the back of your disconnector is hitting the back of the trigger when the hammer rebounds. The fastest and surest way to fix slap in any AK is to remove alittle metal from the bottom rear of the disconnector and the top rear of the trigger (where the disconnector is hitting it).
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

The Tapco triggers are usually a lot better, if not completely without "slap". My guess is that you have one of the Century triggers. I've had a couple of them in the older SARs (before Tapco was making theirs) and they were horribly uncomfortable to shoot. You should be good to go with the G2.

John

Haven't had any problems with the Tapco triggers. The Century triggers were notorious finger biters. Tutorial to fix here:

http://www.novarata.net/Linx310/slapfix.shtml
    This post contains the Amish virus. Since the Amish have no electricity or computers, you are on the honor system. Please delete all your files. Thank you

Is there any problem using a Century FCG that's had the disconector tab trimmed like that? I have a set that I removed and fixed just for the heck of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Looter View Post
    Is there any problem using a Century FCG that's had the disconector tab trimmed like that? I have a set that I removed and fixed just for the heck of it.
    Nope, no problem

Rafsob, if you ordered the double hook trigger as your post suggests you will have to modify the receiver or the trigger to fit your AKM. AKM's are designed for single hook. Pretty easy mod. Chime in when you are ready for install.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
    Rafsob, if you ordered the double hook trigger as your post suggests you will have to modify the receiver or the trigger to fit your AKM. AKM's are designed for single hook. Pretty easy mod. Chime in when you are ready for install.
    Thanks for the offer. I will get back with you when my parts come in.

You can also grind on the base of the 2nd hook to make it fit.

Boy talk about busy. I got the Tapco Trigger group and installed it. I followed the instruction from AKBlue and everything went as planned, thanks pal!

Went to the range yesterday and what a beautiful trigger now. The trigger is smooth and breaks cleanly. And no more slap. It is a joy to shoot.

Thanks all.

Was the trigger you replaced also a Tapco G2? I had a single-hook G2 in my Romanian and still got slap.

wink2

Quote Originally Posted by Looter View Post
    Was the trigger you replaced also a Tapco G2? I had a single-hook G2 in my Romanian and still got slap.
    No the trigger was the original trigger. I guess a Romanian. I replaced the single hook with a double hook G2 Tapco.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafsob View Post
    No the trigger was the original trigger. I guess a Romanian. I replaced the single hook with a double hook G2 Tapco.
    It's Probably a Century FCG. 922r rules apply. SARs and some of the early WASR-10s had these.

Hello Rafsob. I found that the best fix for trigger slap is the tapco trigger and a set of shooter's gloves.

The Bulgarians solved the trigger slap issue by using a "bump" rivet in place of the standard rear trigger guard rivet which sticks up inside the receiver. This along with having a tail on the back of the disconnector eliminate the slap.

Here is a pic of the rivet on the inside of a cut Bulgarian AK-74 receiver. Arsenal / KVAR sells the special rivet as well as the disconnectors with the tails. I've used them in my builds and have found them to work well

I never met a gun I didn't like!
    Dogs are better people than most people.

tagged

When I first got my PSL, trigger slap was really bad, and would reduce the length of time I spent on shooting.
    The first thing I did was place a Blackjack buffer in to "quiet down" the receiver, and dropped the slap down a bit.
    As I had more time, I then replaced the trigger with a Tapco, and trigger slap has been eliminated.
    "Conceal Carry. Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

My SAR1 does not have trigger slap. And my PSL already came with Tapco G2 trigger.

I ordered a single hook G2 for my PSL but received a double hook. Should I mod my receiver or just send it back? I go back and forth. I'm not keeping this one stock anyhow, so maintaining originality/collectability is less important to me than function.

AKBlue, I'd appreciate any insight on cutting the receiver to fit.
    http://hotimg2.fotki.com/b/76_171/115_102/youhavemosins_sig-vi.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bdgfate View Post
    I ordered a single hook G2 for my PSL but received a double hook. Should I mod my receiver or just send it back? I go back and forth. I'm not keeping this one stock anyhow, so maintaining originality/collectability is less important to me than function.

AKBlue, I'd appreciate any insight on cutting the receiver to fit.
    bdgfate I responded to your PM on this subject. I suppose it cannot hurt to post the procedures/choices in installing a double hook FCG in a single hook cut receiver. A couple of options>

OK., with the double hook trigger you have a couple of choices. You can use a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel to create a channel in the receiver on the bottom where the trigger comes through when pulled..., that duplicates the slit that protrudes toward the front. This will allow the right leg of the double hook trigger to clear the receiver and the trigger will operate as it should.
    You can observe this if you remove the old trigger group and insert the trigger group with the axis pin through the holes in the receiver. You will note the interference at the receiver bottom because the trigger front leg on the "other" (double) hook bottom area cannot travel through the receiver and requires the channel to travel properly.

The other solution is to note the lower front area on the right side of the trigger below the right hook. You can grind this area away so it does not contact the receiver and allows the trigger to be pulled and rotate forward. If you do it in stages you can create a very nice trigger pull with out over travel., where the trigger travels past the hammer release point. This works very well but requires some dry fitting to get it right and a nice trigger pull stop as it releases the hammer

This illustration is for a normal install and note the right side of your trigger requires a channel in the receiver to clear...., or relieving the lower front of the trigger itself to fit properly an rotate.

http://media.midwayusa.com/pdf/instr...igger_Inst.pdf
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Oxf...eature=related

Alternative to cutting channel in the receiver...,remove material as illustrated in the pic. Test fit for a nice clearance and hammer release>

Hope this helps

Mike