Gunboards Forums banner

1895 nagant pistol with no manufacture mark on side

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  shoeshine312 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1939 nagant pistol and it doesnt have a manufacture mark or date on the side. Does anyone know if this is common/uncommon? It does have all the other usual stamps on the gun and I know it is a tula and is stamped 1939 on the bottom. It also doesnt appear to have been polished or scrubbed off.

#5 ·
Looks to be a refurbed 1939 Nagant, but I've never seen one stamped on the bottom. Joe probably has. I'm surprised the factory didn't re-stamp 1939 on the sideplate. Definitely late model front sight and I think the factory mark has been scrubbed or polished off. Any other Tula marks on it?

#6 ·
Does the serial number have a 2 letter prefix? If it does, it is probably a 1939. If it doesn't it it was probably repaired in 1939.
The number on the bottom of the butt is definitely unusual. The late features, sights, grip etc. would have been from post war refurb.

Joe

#7 ·
thanks guys. The serial number is just 6 numbers, no two letters. I just am not sure if not having the stamp on the side is good or bad. I would prefer it have a stamp, otherwise it looks like a knockoff. It does have all the other proof stamps on the gun such as the "hammer" looking symbol on different parts, which i believe is from tula.

#8 ·
The hammer marks are Tula and pre 1928 which leads me to believe the revolver is probably pre 1928. The mark to look at is the one on the frame on the right side of the gun in front of the cylinder. If there is a hammer there, the frame is pre 1928. Does the side plate match or is it a line out?
Joe

#10 ·
If understand everything correctly. Your revolver was probably made before the Revolution. That would account for older factory logo. Back then factory in Tula used a hammer for their factory logo. It is not the sure thing at this point because, like Joe said, this factory logo was used until 1928.

Sometime after the Revolution Russians started to remove imperial markings from the side plate of older revolvers that they inherited. You often see partial marking on side plate, most times Soviets kept the year at least. I think your revolver is example where imperial marking was removed completely, the name of the factory was removed, the year was removed, somebody did a more thorough job than usual.

Another option is that you have replacement side plate.

Overall, an interesting example.

#14 ·
OK, the hammer is pre 1926, but that is about all I can tell. There are remnants of an accuracy proof so it isn't late 1917-1920. Too bad that all that is left is the rework marks for the Acceptance Commission area. From the types and sizes of the visible marks, my first guess would be around 1913.
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.