Gunboards Forums banner

Got myself a Marlin Model 50

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  GeneB 
#1 ·
Hey all! I got myself a Marlin Model 50 the other day and I must say that I am totally frigging stoked about it. It doesn't look like much but it is Marlin's first .22, only 5,000 were made between 1931-1934 and it does fire from the open bolt so the unique/cool factor is rather high.

Now, this particular gun was stored in a closet in Louisiana for the last 25 years and has a peppering of surface rust on most of the exposed barrel. I would like to preserve this fine rifle without damaging its collector value or becoming a Bubba and suffering a beating for it so I am here looking for ideas on what I should do.

For those that haven't seen one of these rifles, here is an example of one.

http://openboltguns.blogspot.com/2010/08/more-marlin-50.html

I don't have photos of mine yet but I will get some up in short order so you guys can see it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
They are interesting rifles. I have one of the Ranger 34A versions complete with a factory peep sight - short base No 12R and a hooded front sight that's missing the hood. Mine does not have the manual ejector on the right side of the barrel, I don't see many of the Model 50's with that feature and some made for it have it missing.

Numrich still lists the large balancing blocks for these, I bought one several years ago, mine had the small (or short, or lighter) one for shooting standard velocity loads. The heavy block is for Hi-Speed which was fairly new then and it is longer and preloads the mainspring more as well as adding more mass behind the breech block. The one I got looked unused and did not have a damaged end like the one pictured, they are symmetrical.
gunpartscorp.com/260610

I also have a Ranger 34A that is marked the same but is a Marlin A1 action which fires from a closed bolt.

ADDED - I was not paying enough attention - I did not realize just how old the original post was until after I posted, if I had I would not have replied. I tried to delete this but I see no way I can do that myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.