Default Rarity of Astra M.1911

I saw an Astra pistol today marked M.1911, chambered 7.65.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding information on this model. Are these fairly uncommon? Doesn't seem like many are out there.

Thanks!
    There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong.
    H. L. Mencken

IMHO, there isn't agreat deal of information on them.

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

The pre-WWI production by Esperanza & Unceta is very sketchy, and they put out a lot of products under names other than "Astra" (such as "Victoria"). I am particularly interested in these pre-WWI handguns, and would say there is some rarity to them.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

I guess I'll have to look at it again. When I saw it I did get the impression that it was pre-WWII, but I didn't think pre-WWI at all.
    There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong.
    H. L. Mencken

OK here 'tis

the pics are bad, but the slide says:

7.65 1911 Model Automatic Pistol
    Astra Patent Guernica

The Barrel is marked "Hope"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Star1911_1.jpg   Star1911_2.jpg  
    H. L. Mencken

Default Ruby

Looks like a variation on the ruby auto pistols made from pre-WW1 through WW2. There were many dozens of variations from various makers, with many types of markings. Some people spend a lifetime collecting them, never getting all of them.

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

Is there something stamped on the trigger web on the left side, like perhaps "RP" in a circle?
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

There is an RP, but no circle.

It's kinda' growing on me. Feels solid and looks well-made.

As I was making the deal, the shop owner said that I could strip it down and use some cold blue to make it look better. I smiled, thanked him for the suggestion and said no more.
    H. L. Mencken

Best that I can determine from the limited references at my disposal is that this is a late Astra Mdl 1911. The "Hope" stamp on the barrel, which is the English translation of Esperanza, is characteristic of early Astra pistols. The barrel should have the initials PG surmounted by a crown stamped horizontially in front of the Hope logo. I say a late Mdl 1911 because the early models used one screw to retain the grips while the later ones used two grips screws. Also the the early pistols were manufactured in Eibar while the later ones were manufactured at Guernica and had the manufacture site stamped on the left slide.

Your pistol was supplied to the Italian government early in WWI - the RP is the Italian arsenal inspector. As the War progressed, Astra spun off the Alkartasuna factory to support their Italian contract orders, while concentrating on the French orders. Alkartasuna quickly grew, and also strated supporting French orders. You will find both early Astra and Alkartasuna models in the 7 round capacity with the Italian inspector marks.

Alkartasuna grew to be a big rival of Astra, and after WWI they swung gung-ho into the commercial market with a variety of offerings. The factory somehow "mysteriously" burnt down in 1920, and never reopened. Gee, I wonder why?
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco