Thread: Star 380 value

Default Star 380 value

I'm trying to consolidate calibers in an effort to get down to as few as I can. This leaves me with one 380 pistol at the moment that I've thought about selling or trading off for something in a caliber I'm keeping. It's a CAI import marked SA cal 9mm/380 on the side and resembles a small 1911 (especial?), there's a small shield and CGP mark on the opposite side (police issue if I remember right). I gave $75 for it a while back and figure it would probably be good to get a more up to date value if I take to to NGD in a few weeks. Condition is probably 90% or better with one mag. I had told a few people at work it was a Llama 380 forgetting it was a star till I pulled it out tonight. It's a neat little pistol that I better stop handling or otherwise I'll end up wanting to keep it... I'm sure we've all been there
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    I gave $75 for it a while back and figure it would probably be good to get a more up to date value if I take to to NGD in a few weeks. Condition is probably 90% or better with one mag.

I had told a few people at work it was a Llama 380 forgetting it was a star till I pulled it out tonight.
    I'll double your money. :-).
    It's a neat little pistol that I better stop handling or otherwise I'll end up wanting to keep it... I'm sure we've all been there
    Yep, been there.

If you are describing a Star S model I agree you should literally hold on to it, they are the sweetest handling little .380's that seem to be part of one's hand, I think they are way undervalued compared to many .380's out there today, they certainly look and feel better than any of the modern guns.
    I have new recoil spring plugs for Llama .380's and .32's

I have 3 of these. they are fine pistols. Colt worked with Star before coming out with their 380s 20 years ago, and you will see similarities in the lockwork to your Star.
    One of mine is a duplicate, plain blued with some new OE-style checkered walnut grips. I would not take less than $300 for it, more like $350.
    But I'm not ready to sell it. they are among the nicest-handling small-frame pistols I have, and I have quite a few.

http://www.colecciondepistolas.com/modelo1.asp?id=166 Hope this helps you make an exact identification. There are several variations in 380 with 1911 looks. The S series (especially SM Super) are fine small take-offs on the 1911. Worth what you can get which is considerably more than you paid.

I am not familiar with the SM Super variant.
    How is it different from the S or SS?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex B View Post
    I am not familiar with the SM Super variant.
    How is it different from the S or SS?
    Another good web site http://www.star-firearms.com/firearm.../s/index.shtml might help here. Basically a Garcia import model S with certain features that appear to be a special variation for US import. The most obvious feature is a "special" take down lever to make slide removal easier. Like most stars of the S series they are a high quality all steel 1911 clone, shrunk down complete with colt style locked breach and barrel link. Unusual for 380.

They were imported for a short time, 1973-1974 or so, and came with thumb rest grips per GCA 1968. Walnut checkered grips were available from Garcia.

Of note here not all S series mags are interchangable even though they seem to almost fit.

Using your link:

"...ultra-rare Super Target model (Super-SM) "

I have 9 Stars of various models, so I'm well familiar with them

Quote Originally Posted by Rex B View Post
    Using your link:

"...ultra-rare Super Target model (Super-SM) "

I have 9 Stars of various models, so I'm well familiar with them
    A little bit lower on the same page is a description of the Garcia imports (SM SUPER) which are different. Although not "ultra rare" they are less easy to find given their age. A friend recently located one NIB for me. I paid too much but had to have it. Turns out I even have a set of non-thumb rest Garcia grips given to me in the 70's by a salesman for Garcia.

My wife claims I have too many Stars. But I always look for more.

It is a SS, I kept it...well actually I sold it then went back and bought it back at the same show just because I missed it LOL. Luckily the seller was a super nice guy and sold it back to me (probably thought I was crazy but better then regretting selling it). Anyone know what the CGP mark on the side means?
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

Cuerpo General de Policia.
    Sub unit of the National military structure - a general police system. Sort of a equivalent to the State Patrol in The US.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco