Thread: Way to tell the difference between Izhevsk and Tula '38 M91/30 stock?

Default Way to tell the difference between Izhevsk and Tula '38 M91/30 stock?

Hey guys,

Will start a thread on this rifle tomorrow night, hopefully, as I have a lot of photos to go through. Anyway, 1938 Izhevsk M91/30 received today. Finnish SA mark on the rear left barrel. ALL of the metal matches cept the floorplate. Mean everything, original Izhevsk bolt, even the extractor and firing pin have the triangle and arrow mark. Also the cleanin' rod.

Pre-war stock and brass capped HG have been lightly sanded and maybe finished with pine tar. There is a good remnant cartouche on the right butt stock, but not really enough detail to figure anything out, cept' it's Soviet. Checked out Vic's and Ted's info sites and couldn't find a difference between the two arsenal's stock markings. Are the stock cartouches the same? Thanks for any help.

Lancebear

Lancebear, a Tula would have a star stamp with the date below, and the Izhevsk would have the roundrel sp?...two concentric circle stamp for the 1938 timeframe. Denny
    Last edited by Denny; 09-01-2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: added

How stringently was this enforced at the factories? I've only seen a handful of mosins across the whole of the internet with a Tula star on them, and none with the concentric circle stamp; they usually want something like $60-$70 for a stripped, Tula-marked stock at parts websites too.
    *slurps his slushie*

I'm looking for Mosin-Nagant bayonet #72697, and Yugoslavian M48 Bayonet/Scabbard #T75239; I have M48 bayonet #65837 and Scabbard #29866 to trade. Cash bounty!

Thanks Denny,

Thought about the Tula star, but was not too in the know about Soviet M91/30s. Lil' more now since readin', I like the Finns. This stock has no remnant of a star, and that's good. Cartouche has concentric circles, and no star parts. Only have one other M91/30, a '37 Tula SCW rifle. If I remember right, the Spanished rifle is matching cept' for the bolt, and it has a good remnant of a Tula star cartouche, also an SVT 40 with the star on the stock. Think I'll photograph them side by side.

Lancebear

Your welcome Lancebear. The Tula Hammer stock stamp eluded me for some time. It is small and usually lightly struck and easily sanded off. Denny

Blargh,

I would guess that all original M91/30 stocks were stamped with an arsenal cartouche at Izhevsk and Tula. And serviceable stocks lost their markings during rework, sanding. And new replacement stocks didn't have cartouches to begin with? Guesses, am not expert on these rifles.

Another guess as to why my new rifle has two thirds of a cartouche, is the stock was in such good condition, the Finns lightly sanded whatever shellac remained on the wood, slapped on some Finnish finish, and left it at that. And then put it into storage, as the stock has almost no dings. The wood is proud all around the butt plate, another indication that the stock wasn't sanded too much. Bub coulda' done this, but looks like careful Finnish work to me. I'll try to start a thread, but we have a tropical storm goin' on, not a big deal, but it puts a kink in things.

LB

I've poured over the cartouches on my 3 rifles for hours at a time and never once saw what immediately appeared to be a production date. Where on earth do they stamp the dates?

(Let me guess.... Under the butt plate, correct?)
    *slurps his slushie*

I'm looking for Mosin-Nagant bayonet #72697, and Yugoslavian M48 Bayonet/Scabbard #T75239; I have M48 bayonet #65837 and Scabbard #29866 to trade. Cash bounty!

Tula Star on a M38 after refurb.

FWIW, a few shots of a PCFCP (i.e. RSFSR) roundel on a 1934 Finn'd 91/30 (so not original to the rifle).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC16342.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	138.4 KB 
ID:	460476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC16340.JPG 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	460477Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC16341.JPG 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	460478

Here's a couple pics of my Finn capture with the original 1938 Tula stock.

"We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded."
    -Captain Richard Winters
    Co E, 101st Airborne Division, WWII

Quote Originally Posted by AirCommando View Post
    Here's a couple pics of my Finn capture with the original 1938 Tula stock.

NICE!