smile Picked Up A Remington 541X Saturday

I attended the Miami gun show on Saturday. I was not looking for much of anything, just bullshitting around checking the place out now that I have time as I am free of graduate school. On my first walk around the place I spotted a Remington 541X on one of the tables of a large dealer. The sales tag was worn and indicated they had the rifle in stock for some time. The tag also indicated they wanted close to $600. I have been out of buying guns for some time so I am not good with prices but I know what I will pay for something so I told the owner that I would pay $275 OTD for the rifle. Without blinking an eye he said yes and ten minutes later I was walking out the door with it. The rifle came with front/rear sights but no extra sight inserts for the front sight and a leather sling. After coming home I did some research and found that I paid, perhaps on the low end of what these go for, but nonetheless in the ballpark considering the economic times we are in. I will shoot it this coming winter when we start shooting down here in SoFla as it is too humid/hot for me to hit the range now. I am already NOT impressed with the piece of crap magazine (any ideas if I can just insert a metal magzine in place of this plastic junk) but the rest of the rifle looks pretty robust. Also, how in the hell does the bolt come out?

Push forward on the safety to remove the bolt. I fear that you are stuck with the mag, have not seen an improved one anywhere. Brownells has front sight inserts, by the way.

Thanks, I had a sneaking feeling the safety was related to bolt removal. That nylon magazine is a big piece of plastic garbage. Without firing the rifle or even dry firing it I can say it looks and feels great except for the reject from Toy Story magazine.

Those are really nice rifles. I have a 540X so don't have to put up with the plastic mag, just the plastic feed platform. This series of rifles are the little brothers to the 788 certerfire rifles. They have similar triggers, bolts, cheap stocks, sorry mags but also share the fatest lock time of US production bolt actions.