Gunboards Forums banner

Bought 2 FEG AP 7.65 pistols $300 total, problems with one, (take PP grips?)

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  SA1911a1 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, so I bought me two used PP clone FEG Hungarian .32 acp AP7's for $150 each the other day, one was like it was never used all black anodized frame with handling wear showing up, the other one I had to actually talk the pawn shop dealer down from $225 just cause the frame had been hand polished amateurishly leaving black anodizing around the pins, mag catch and trigger well and I hate sporterized guns but I needed a spare magazine, though ironicially two hours later I went to a gun shop in the next town to search their junk mag bin and actually found two excellent mags for $10 each(what luck). I am pretty sure I am painting the polished frame pistol either with barbeque black or something else dark so I can use this as a better concealed carry pistol.
What a bad day, in some ways, cause the buffed example when I figured out how to take the slide off, the hold open catch flew out and the hold open lever spring-slot is an open slot design that got buffed, not allowing the spring to retain, but the other pistol has a slot machined to retain the spring, but the buffed example didn't have the slot buffed away but it was already an open design, I had to scratch a minor slot for the spring inside of the spring head slot to retain the spring head somewhat during reassembly. Unfortunately, the hammer pin on the buffed frame pistol turned out to be sheared in half, but the pistol operated anyway until the grips were removed, then half fell out, but ordered another pin thankfully from Mark Kubes buymilsurp.com for about $12 shipped, only good thing is that there is a custom set of grips on this buffed example that are slim and very fancy.
Main point is I would like to get another set of slim line grips, I am thinking walther pp/ppk fits? Really, I plan on putting slim line grips on the better example cause it has that finger rest "bump" on the left side grip like they all do, that protrudes out too much for my liking if I use it in a slim line pocket holster or such. Of course, those with experience already know, unlike a regular reader looking to learn more, that they made these in 9x18 and .380, I believe all the mags are the same but unsure(which is why maybe I was lucky getting two spare mags for ten bucks apiece in a "mag bin"). Wouldn't it be interesting if I could just switch barrels and have one in a different caliber? I wonder.....

See less See more
#3 ·
As jarred52 said, these are similar to the PA63, but in .32. The magazines are different, however, they will physically interchange and, in some cases, function. Best to use the right ones. Grips are available, custom made, from Marschal grips. Spring sets from Wolff. It's a good idea to increase the power of the recoil spring, and reduce the hammer spring. It greatly improves the double action pull and reliability.

Robert

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info, and yes, I do see a difference in the two spare mags now that you mention it, seems the feed lips are slightly wider apart likely having been arsenal ground that way, though they will hold onto my cavim 32 acp, they just might work since the bullet does ride the feed lips to the end, bullets sit higher in the mag though. I could in theory take a mallet or wood dowel and smack the feed lips inward slightly, but I don't want to, not desparate enough, I mean, if I get me a PA63 in 9x18(maybe same as .380) then I have two spare mags for sure! Looks like purchasing the spare pistol for a spare mag wasn't a bad idea after all, because it has a definite .32 acp magazine as well, so I own two dedicated .32acp magazines right now. I wished I had come across two dedicated .32acp mags instead of 9x18 specification of course, they are what I needed most, but ten bucks apiece takes the sting away.
Yeah, I didn't think pp grips would work, frame looks different, grips too, besides that, pp grips are priced accordingly. Oh well, I'll just use the one with the aftermarket slim grips and buffed frame as a concealed pistol and save the original looking one as a collectible cause it looks fairly nice even though there was some edge wear of the finish and a few nicks here and there I covered up with a permanent ink marker, doesn't have any english "made in Hungary" stampings, though, nor does the buffed frame one either(though the slide is stamped Cal 7,65 mm Browning ...AP 7.65, instead of the nicer ones' stamping on the slide of 7.65 mm AP-MBP, just the dot matrix CAI import mark fore both.
My main interest in these is the lighter weight than a cz50 I used to do concealed carry with years ago, they both seem so much lighter than alot of my small pistols I've normally used. I WOULD like to get one of these in .380 instead of 9x18 just cause .380 is even a commercially available round even at Wal Mart, and I hope the mags I have extra would interchange. Besides that, some 9x18 I have for my maks had some failures of various types to feed and to fire, first time I ever saw that since I bought my first one ten years ago, so a little unsure if I'll ever buy any more guns in 9x18 apart from the two I already own.

#5 ·
I've had NO failure to fire on any commercial 9mak ammo. Surplus ammo of any kind, especially former com-bloc, will have an occasional failure to fire. Failure to feed is more likely due to the magazine or using hp ammo in a pistol designed for fmj military type ammo.

Your .32 Hungarian mags are harder to find than the PA63 mags (same in .380 as 9Mak). If you don't really want them, you could offer to trade for .32 mags on the forum trader.

#7 ·
Magazines. I should have mentioned earlier the easy way to spot .32 and .380/9mm mags when you're picking through the bin. .32 mags have seven witness holes, .380/9mm ones have six. The .380 and 9mm magazines are identical by the way.
If you have an SMC (PPK equivalent), the witness hole and round count is one less for each calibre.

Robert

#8 ·
I ended up ordering me four of them mags from centerfire systems this morning and haven't received a notice that they were out or such, and I received a replacement hammer pin from buymilsurp.com for the pistol that was needing one. I almost wonder if I could just rebarrel one of them and make it a .380, the previously buffed frame example that had more use wear on the parts and slide as well, I mean, at least I have two .380/9x18 mags, but I've never shot that round nor have any to compare the base with on the slide and extractor.
Thanks for the advice where to get mags if they had them in stock still, cause I must have entered in the wrong search word or phrase the day I was looking for mags at various companies I order from usually.

#10 ·
I bought a pile of these great little FEG pistols when they were cheaper. My experience with the mags is, they don't care whether you load .32, .380, or 9x18 in them, they all functioned. My problem was keeping them seperate; you could easily screw up and load the wrong ammo in the right gun. I have since shed all but the SMC 380 and a PA-63 in 9x18, the possible mix-up of magizines being part of the decision. Buying them for $150.00 apiece is, in my opinion a good deal. If I was comfortable with the caliber, I would not have any problem carrying one of the FEGs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.