Gunboards Forums banner

What's your favorite?

5K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  eastbank 
#1 ·
Didn't know where to put this but anyways..what's your favorite rifle you own?:)

#2 ·
All of them!:thumbsup: Seriously when I go to the range with the intent to shoot one gun in particular I wind up taking one or two of everything in my collection to shoot. It's only fair not to make anyone jealous. If I take one of the .22's to go shoot prairie dogs, everyone takes a turn all the way up to the .50BMG. No one gets left out except my duplicates that never see daylight and send their representatives instead.

#3 ·
How can you expect us to choose one? I could say my 94 win, but I'd have to say no my 582 rem and then I'd have to say no my 88:p! I can't choose, I like them all!:confused:

#6 ·
Western Field Model 830 22lr. It was my first and a gift from my dad. I still have it, and it goes to my son.

Other than that...

It would be a tough toss-up. I like my NDM-86, but also my PSL. I like my Finnish M28/76 but also my Czech VZ54/91. I like my Winchester M1 from the CMP but also my Ruger Mini-14 GB.

None of that is to brag, as there are those here whose collections make mine look meager and low. Of all the ones up there, should I be able to keep but one rifle, I can't really say what I would pick. I suppose I would pick either Finn or Czech, if only because the parts are simple, there are no expensive magazines, and they are already set up with bipods. But then, if the zombies were coming around, I would be hard pressed not to take the NDM or the PSL. Oddly to many here perhaps, I would take the PSL over the SVD as it is simpler and more rugged - though the NDM is tough enough for Afghanistan and other places (the PSL's handguards are sturdier than the SVD, the gas system is sturdier and easier to clean, and the trigger is almost as nice on mine).

I suppose the best combo might be the Finn or Czech backed up by the Ruger. Of course, the NDM backed up by the ruger, or the PSL, or the...

Did I say it was tough to tell?

#7 ·
Favorite sniper is currently my Finn-capture 1936 Tula PE, just because they're so hard to come by.
Favorite overall is my all original matching Finn-capture 1929 Tula Dragoon, just because it has so much character.

#12 ·
1956 Mannlicher Deluxe Carbine in .308

My favorite is a Hemingway-era 1956 Mannlicher Deluxe in .308, full-stock in oiled walnut, with original optics, perfect finish, a 95-97% rifle. It shoots decently for the first three shots, then strings from heating up, as light carbines do.
Certainly not my most accurate rifle (that goes to my custom Remington 700BDL in 30-06) but the fact that it was on several African safaris "back in the day" and the amazing perfection of every aspect of it tops my list.
Second, at least today, is a 1938/51 MO ex-sniper, with "Cn" marks. It came from Albania in battlefield condition, refurbed and shipped off to battle again, with frag in the stock and the entire stock/handguard spaces packed with axle grease to keep out corrosion in rainy outdoor use. It has a soldier's name scratched in both sides of the stock, all the finish worn off the stock from carrying it and it still shoots to 2" at 100 yards from my lead sled, with a waxed canvas green sling from some SKS, I think. I planned to put on a sidemount PEM rescope, but it has so much character that I think I'll leave it alone to tell stories. It's one of those rifles with such a "vibe" that it gets the attention even when surrounded by much prettier and rarer rifles -an old warhorse still ready to go.

#14 ·
My favorite rifle is more of a family heirloom. All matching 1938 K98 mauser hidden in attic rafters by my great-grand uncle and aunt at the end of WWII. As the story goes, recalled by my grandfather, 3 infantry men and one officer were quartered at my great-grand uncle's/aunt's house. Rules of the period dictated that only officers could be housed inside the actual living space, enlisted/drafted had to sleep in the utility areas (ie attics, barns). As the war in Europe was coming to a close and the Red Army was approaching the area, the soldiers decided to retreat/desert as sounds of fighting approached rather then risk getting captured and boogied on back to Germany. In the process they left this K98 behind. It spend decades hiding out in the attic just as the soldier left it, slinged, loaded and all. In this pic i took the sling off to get the leather reconditioned since it was stiff and dry.

#17 ·
PSL and WASR 1970...PSL is just fun to shoot and a great challenge to group with...My WASR thinks it is an AR. That says it all.

#20 ·
It's early in the morning. I though you posted "Lubbock" and I was just plain confused about a Texan Mauser (I mean, I knew that many Germans settled in Texas, have had great German food in Texas, but, well, Texas?). I wish I knew Mausers better so that I might be properly impressed. It's a handsome rifle in any case.

#22 ·
That would have to be my little H&R Plainsman .22. It holds 7 shots, and was my first weapon, of the firearms definition. I was 13 and traded a 30-pound feeder pig to Herschel Kimbrough, for it.

Second, the 94 Winchester that my Step-Dad gave me the following Christmas. He asked how I liked his new rifle, and I was dumbstruck, it was so pretty. Then he grinned and handed it to me and said, "Wanna hunt, today?" Yes, we did hunt, no, I didn't manage a kill, that day. BUT, a week later... I made meat for the family.

Memories beat value, just aboiut any time, for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.