Default Heckler & Koch Model 770

Spotted one of these for sale, in .308 and fitted with a Lyman scope in Heckler & Koch QR rings. Rather steep price asked for a rifle in only good condition. From the pics it looks like a semi auto. Out of curiosity can anyone tell me more about this rifle? I can't say I've ever seen one or any other HK sporting rifle in person. Thanks.
    "Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love." Lao Tzu

Default RE H&K 770

First my disclaimer that i am only answering because no one else has done so. I am not an H&K expert and rather far from one actually. First, here is a website that i located that may be useful for some basic information: http://world.guns.ru/civil/de/heckle...-6-sl-7-e.html

I have owned H&K SL7 and SL6 rifles. The former parallels the H&K 770 in chambering the 308 Winchester cartridge. (The latter chamber the 223 round.) I have only fired them for function and that they did well. I offer the following thoughts just as starting points for your further inquiry if you wish to pursue the matter. The 770 was derived from the paramilitary SL7 design. It was one that was in turn designed for a specific military market. I have heard conflicting stories as to whether any of these weapons were ever sold or delivered in either chambering. Apparently in any case, they became available on the American market. The chambers of these weapons are fluted to assist extraction. The only practical consequence is that the brass is sufficiently deformed so that it cannot be reloaded. These seem to me best described as 'period rifles', representing an era (the nineteen eighties) but semi auto design has moved on. They were expensive then. Relatively well made but offering no more real reliability or material features (except the availability of a ten round magazine) than other more value competitive domestic rifles. There were also the normal issues of warranty and parts availability that is always a concern regarding foreign products with limited distribution channels. Such is even of greater concern today particularly if the rifle is to be employed in the field. But essentially, they just did not offer anything to the market to justify their price. I believe that the military models do continue to appeal to a certain American market segment, but the 770 sporting model lacks even this appeal base. Perhaps these are 'collectible' today, but I believe that may be more in the minds of the owners trying to purvey them. In summary, a good but highly overpriced rifle with really little to recommend it over other contemporary new/used rifles such as Remington or Browning models. Also, the latter are offered in a variety of chamberings. As to you description of the specific weapon in issue. Two remarks. First, the scope rings do add some value. My information is too outdated to estimate a price for the rings. Second, the "good condition" would be a big caveat to me. I would want such a rifle in at least excellent condition. This would not be a rifle that I would want to buy into a repair of any sort. I would pass quickly unless the rifle was bargain priced and I could clearly ascertain the actual condition. Of course, if you are 'in love' with it, I can understand that. Then just shop carefully and with patience.
    Just my take.

Thanks for your reply iskra. I think you are bang on in your assessment. I am in no way interested in buying this gun - its asking price is almost $2000. I was just curious about it. I have previously seen a used HK 660 for sale but again it was only something I was curious in knowing more about (at least it was more reasonably priced).

There are many better and more affordable semi auto sporting and paramilitary rifles to buy than either the HK 770 or 660. To me these are guns for someone with deep pockets or a serious HK fetish.
    "Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love." Lao Tzu

I have seen them, when I was a kid they were cool because they were an HK and every kid (like us?) knows what an mp-5 is. The last I saw ere in the $2k neighborhood as well and were in almost new shape though. I would never waste $2k on something like a sporting gun-I have enough of them. That's almost 3 mosin snipers or two real and one repro.

I believe I read a review on these german made autoloaders in Guns and Ammo quite a while back. Seems they were unique and had a roller -locking action like the german MG42 machine gun. Was quite costly back then too. I remember cases ejected blackened full length the review stated. I am sure it is a good gun. was considering this but purchased Rem. auto instead. I believe rifle may have been offered in late 70-s. Sorry for late post.

dints cases on ejection.... i believe it has fluted chambers too ? long time sense i held one.......makes it harder to reload brass

I owned an HK sporter in .223, not sure of the model no. tho. It was accurate and reliable, too reliable in fact. I would occasionally get a double tap when firing and the trigger pull felt rough and gritty, no problem with the fired cases to my mild surprise, which re sized with no problem. I sold it after a few months.
    You know all the words and you sing all the notes but you never quite learned the song.
    I can tell by the sadness in your eyes, that you never quite learned the song.