Thread: G24(t) mauser

Default G24(t) mauser

I posted to a thread about a G24(t) on the Czech Weapons forum but thought I'd post here as well. I don't know much about this mauser - can someone tell me about them please?

What's a fair price for one in good condition, good bore, full military stock and fittings, mismatched cleaning rod, refurbished, but still with the dou stamp? Sorry no pics and I don't know if it is all matching other than the rod or a mismatch. Thanks.
    "Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love." Lao Tzu

I'm Lewie the Fly...

I'm pretty sure that's not the one as the G24(t) I'm posting about was not priced at $1000. And I checked - this one is a mismatched, dou 41 refurb. Can you tell me more about the G24(t)? Any thoughts on price?
    Last edited by dastier; 10-01-2011 at 08:42 PM.
    "Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love." Lao Tzu

G-24T is a Vz-24 built under occupation.There are several variations.Walnut stock,laminated stock,dou41 marking on receiver ring.The stocks have many vairations.Some g-24Ts will have what looks llike a vz-24 stock but has tube and washer device added along with the stock slot for sling.The swivel at wrist of stock has been removed and plugged.These stocks will have the Proof markings added by Germans.There will be some that will have all Vz-24 markings with this modified stock.Well that really isnt a g-24T but I guess you can call it German isssued Vz-24.That opens to even more variations.Sorry for too much rambling.The g-24t can come with either flat buttplate or cupped with laminated stock.I would stay away from refurbs if you can.Thats my .02
    The Truth is Concrete-Bertolt Brecht
    While much is too strange to be believed,nothing is too strange to have happened-Thomas Hardy

To tell you much about your rifle we would have to know the date and serial block, as these generally follow certain progressive changes. The rifles were numbered consecutively, without rollover starting with blankos first, through 1941 and then through 1942. The rifles generally follow a progression in features also, and they are rather consistent for each change. The acceptance patterns (switch from e/607 to e/A80) and stock variations (type of wood, buttplate, acceptance pattern) are well documented for each range.

There is also a Slovakian variation, as the firm filled a small order for Slovakia also, this variation is elusive and has several variations to how they are marked.

If you can say the year-range, or even just the suffix, I can tell you what it should have as to acceptance and stock variation.

The G24t is a rifle that is often humped; personally I think one of the highest rates for humped 98k type rifles are the G33/40 and G24t variations.

Without a date-suffix the possible variations are wide.

Quote Originally Posted by dastier View Post
    Can you tell me more about the G24(t)? Any thoughts on price?

Thanks guys. I don't have this rifle - one has surfaced for sale for $425 but its a mismatched refurbishment from the sellers description. A dou 41 in supposedly overall good condition and good bore with full military stock, cleaning rod and fittings. I've emailed for pics. Unfortunately this is all I have to go on - its not local so I can't go and scrutinize it.

From discussions on the K98k forum it sounds like a matching G24(t) would be expensive. I have a matching tgf 50 that I paid less for and a RC ce 41 that I also paid less for and I'm just wondering if it would be worth the money to acquire this G24(t)?

Or should I spend a little more for a refurbished Vz 24 in good to very good condition with Lion crest intact and either matching or force matched? (I suspect the latter) Or just hold onto my cash and wait. German K98ks are scare up here, even the RCs have dried up.
    Last edited by dastier; 10-04-2011 at 06:59 PM.

I would pass no question with only that to go on. Basically you are talking value=sum of parts, and if the parts are refinished they aren’t going to be worth much.

Much depends on what is meant by "refurbishment" as that sounds very problematic.

I think you gave yourself the best advice "hold on to your cash and wait" as although Canada might have slim pickings, I do not see much upside in buying questionable rifles that you would be unhappy with (assuming you prefer collectable-quality rifles, and while opinions vary with the individual, rifles that have been refinished are not very collectable to most collectors)

Kind of depends on what you're looking for. If you want a "G24T", meaning in as issued or, more correctly as the last soldier it was issued to turned it in, then you won't want this one. If you simply want a vz24, that opens the door for a lot more possibilities. You will want to wait and you'll find a nice enough one before too very long.
    If simply a nice, shootable representative type will do, you can even consider a Yugoslav M24/52C- that's a Yugoslav refurbished vz24. It will have Yugoslav markings but it will still have the Czech quality and smoothness, maybe even with a new barrel.

And don't be mislead. many dedicated collectors do not turn up their noses at refurbished rifles, just accepting them as a separate type or model. But a "refurbished G24T" would not be true to type and if that is what you want, to be avoided.
    "In times of trouble and of war, God and soldiers we adore;
    When wars are done and wrongs are righted, God's forgotten and the soldier slighted."
    Olde English proverb, origin unknown

I do not play the computer "friend" game, thing. Please do not "friend" me. I will gladly answer PMs if you want contact with me.

I think if I had the opportunity to see it in person and determine exactly what they mean by refurbished and what matches and doesn't then I might consider it. But I can't so I'm going to pass. No doubt this will sell and probably quickly as g24(t) don't come up for sale often up here as far as I know.

I assume, like other milsurps, these are more available in the USA. Importing from the States is expensive though.

if the swastikas on the stock and metal are still visible and not pinged out, at $425.00 it would be a very fair deal. They are virtually unobatainable here in the US>
    gil

I can't really say how many g24(t)s have come up for sale in the last 7 years I have been milsurp collecting as my focus was elsewhere. In the past few months though I have been redirecting my interests towards mausers (now that I have a good representation of Finnish milsurps). That said I have only seen two g24(t)s for sale lately and the other is also a refurbed mismatch and the price of that one is more than twice the asking price of this one.

I'm not really pining for this particular rifle as I'm more picky about mausers (most of my few are matching; even my RC ce 41 has quite a bit of matching parts, though far from completely) but I've learned that sometimes you have to strike when the iron is hot. I've certainly missed out on my fair share of nice guns by hesitating.