Thumbs up Firearm Review: Skyy CPX-1 subcompact 9mm

I recently bought a NIB Skyy industries CPX-1 subcompact in 9mm.
    The CPX-1 is very similar in design to a Kel-Tec P11. It has a 10 round capacity, 3inch barrel, stainless steel slide, polymer frame, and aluminum receiver. Out of the box it came with 2 magazines, with both finger extensions and flat floorplates, and trigger lock. The fit and finish out of the box I found to be particularly good, with all the seams in the polymer smoothed out, and the feed ramp showing a mirror finish. It is DAO, with an external safety. The external safety is a point of argument, I find it unnecessary on a DAO gun, but I can live with it.
    The first thing I found about the gun is that it is more picky than any other gun I own. It functions, although somewhat un-reliably with any Remington UMC ammunition I fed it, but has performed flawlessly with any Winchester White Box. It is also more susceptible to issues arising from a lack of proper cleaning. After 100 rounds or so failures to extract start happening. As with any small auto, I also had to get used to not limp-wristing, and take a higher grip on the frame. This is where another issue became noticeable. The safety is positioned in such a way that during recoil, it is extremely easy to engage the safety without noticing it. I remedied this problem by adding material to the detent hole making the safety much stiffer to operate.
    The gun is as accurate as I can expect for a 3" 9mm, I qualified for my CCW with it, and shot a 100% (48 shots from 3yd to 15yd, all in the silhouette). Skyy recommends NO +p ammo for this gun, but I can live with that as well.
    I paid $259 for it, and feel it was a great bargain.
    Last edited by USMCsean; 01-20-2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: title edit

i have a taurus that doesnt like everthing i feed it. But I still like the gun.
    cog #47

Default Skyy 9mm

I have had the opposite problem. I get jams with the Winchester rounds, but no problems with the Remington rounds. I have fired off about 4000 rounds with this gun so far; it seems to be reliable for the most part.

After the first 500 rounds, the safty broke off; Skyy sent me a new one, and it arrived within a few days. After about 3500 rounds the slide lever broke off; once again, Skyy sent me a new one within a week. The service department is really good.

After the slide incident, I did purchase a S & W 38 snubnose; and keep the Skyy as my back-up. In todays world, you can never have enough weapons in the home.

I used to carry the Skyy; but have started carrying the S&W. For a low-cost handgun, it is a great deal. Easy to work on with minimal gunsmith experience; and the serviice department is very easy to talk to and get parts--they honor the life-time warrenty. Buy American in todays age, before the government outlaws and closes down gun manufactures.

Well this certainly raised a dead thread! :D

It's been well over a year since I bought my Skky CPX-1. FYI, Skky is now Sccy, so perhaps mine is a collector's model?

I think my initial problems with Ammo type is really just a matter of this gun liking to work clean. The slide stop is made with such tight tolerances that mine ceases to function after a few magazines. If I keep it clean after each range session, it will always work flawlessly for at least 3 magazines. I have more reliable things to carry, such as an XD or even a Makarov from time to time. I do keep this as a truck gun, though, since the loss is minimal if it gets stolen.

Looking back, I should have spent my $250+ on a nice used .38 revolver.

YMMV, of course.