Default Help removing SKS stock cross-bolt

I bought a "shooter" grade 59/66 from J&G and I'd like to remove the stock. I'm keeping the gun original, but I want to try Duarcoat (or BBQ grill paint) to match the color of the receiver and cover to the barrel. I want to be able to degrease and inspect the underside. The receiver has changed to a brown patina and the cover was so speckled with corrorsion that I had to emery it down to the white. Can I use a snap ring plier for a cross-bolt tool? Any tips on taking it out and reassembly? I like my AK, but breathing life into this old SKS has been great fun. Any help is appreciated. Great forum.

i see no reason to remove the stock bolt. you take the trigger pak out and the upper can be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by AKfan View Post
    I bought a "shooter" grade 59/66 from J&G and I'd like to remove the stock. I'm keeping the gun original, but I want to try Duarcoat (or BBQ grill paint) to match the color of the receiver and cover to the barrel. I want to be able to degrease and inspect the underside. The receiver has changed to a brown patina and the cover was so speckled with corrorsion that I had to emery it down to the white. Can I use a snap ring plier for a cross-bolt tool? Any tips on taking it out and reassembly? I like my AK, but breathing life into this old SKS has been great fun. Any help is appreciated. Great forum.
    Snap ring/circlip pliers have worked fine for me.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by highestangel View Post
    Snap ring/circlip pliers have worked fine for me.
    Michael
    I got the nut out. The screw seems stuck. Does the screw turn out or is it drifted out? Thanks

The screw doesn't turn, the other side (the nut with the 2 holes) turns. Just pop out the trigger group, remove the mag and the action will come out, there's no reason to remove the cross bolt.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

Just take a punch that is a little larger in diameter than the threaded part of the cross bolt, and tap it out with a small hammer, if you feel the need to remove it. I assume, maybe you are going to refinish the stock. Other wise, as Mriddick noted, there's no real reason to remove it.
    Michael