Gunboards Forums banner

Help removing SKS stock cross-bolt

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  highestangel 
#1 ·
I bought a "shooter" grade 59/66 from J&G and I'd like to remove the stock. I'm keeping the gun original, but I want to try Duarcoat (or BBQ grill paint) to match the color of the receiver and cover to the barrel. I want to be able to degrease and inspect the underside. The receiver has changed to a brown patina and the cover was so speckled with corrorsion that I had to emery it down to the white. Can I use a snap ring plier for a cross-bolt tool? Any tips on taking it out and reassembly? I like my AK, but breathing life into this old SKS has been great fun. Any help is appreciated. Great forum.

#6 ·
Just take a punch that is a little larger in diameter than the threaded part of the cross bolt, and tap it out with a small hammer, if you feel the need to remove it. I assume, maybe you are going to refinish the stock. Other wise, as Mriddick noted, there's no real reason to remove it.
Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.