Gunboards Forums banner

Parker Hale 30-06 identification

68K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  Michael_D 
#1 ·
Hopefully someone can help me with the identification of this Parker Hale cal. 30-06, "Safari" is marked on the left side of the receiver, it's an all original gun? Here are some pics.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
FN action SAFARI (300 ACTIONS?)....STOCKS BY Sile's

i have the Safari delux..... (THAT I HAD CUSTOM STOCKED IN AA WALNUT DIDN'T LIKE THE PLAN WOOD. and put mark x MAG...BUTTON RELEASE.)
these came out in late 1950's and up to 1963.....

[....[/B]gun is the best action Parker Hale built guns ON...my gun 308 extreamly accurate....

REAR SIGHT LIKE HUSQUVARNA'S OF SAME TIME PERIODS when they got FN actions. to from FN...\

much BETTER GUNS when compared to the Santa Barba they used after this.....BRAXTON's GUIDE has pictures....1963.

its a real keeper very hard to come by....

#8 · (Edited)
mine is the....308 safari de luxe it has the different rear sight block with sight on top second pictures action...
the ads have made a mistake and inverted the two models actions and stocks my friend...

the snabble stock goes on the de luxe...

your stock is correct for your model.....sometimes ads get tweaked or in-corrected in production releases!

yes your sight is org.....hood maybe FN of the same time period?....mine was missing.
the action alone is worth $ 400....the stock $ 175.... marked Sile in the wood barrle channel....
barrel sights $ 200.00...trigger $18.00

MINE HAS what is called "BLACK CHROME BLUE.... barrel action ...highly polished metal before blue-ing.

these guns are the best of PH..... the forgotten firsts ones....
i see them more collectable in the next twenty years as info gets out to collectors....

i wrote the factory back in the 1970's no info given to me other than early model?
...and sales catologs of new prodocts.

all the others Santa Barb's i tried to love... lacked quality accuracy and FN quality.....as for the bolt release spring in the white....other parts blued i believed...guns in safe i'll look later this week!

hope this clears up photo ads mistakes.....i would give $ 450 for it....
or 308 norma mag i missed for $ 575 12 YEARS AGO...safra..

#10 ·
best materials one key way cut stronger 300 action, VERY accurate barrel, some of the last military heritage put to excellent use......
Would you want the spanish knock off military on the later PH'S?

my custom PH turns eyes for looks and range rats heads ON TARGETS....

#14 ·
98 are stronger .... i read in those earlie ones....less material cut out i think its call the C cut...
cutting both sides was a cost cutting measure in production........?
in theory this weakened the upper front ring.... but never saw a 98 blown up in the front ring area...

even this one 98 TWIN cut with both lugs sheared off...the barrel just twisted off by hand....ring stretched away from barrel threads BUT HELD...

#16 ·
Ok to date your Safari you need to pull the stock probably and give us the code from the the Birmingham Private View mark which is crossed lances with letters at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock. That will give us the year is was made and proofed.

Parker-Hale only started producing these Mauser sporting rifles after their move to the new, to them place/factory at Sparkbrook, in 1962. It was there stored in alcoves in the old tunnel range they discovered crates of German M98 actions. These were war reparations and basically the government didn't want them so P-H build their first Mauser based sporting rifles on them. later they had to source actions from Belguim, Czech and Spain.

#24 ·
Sorry I did not notice your post :sorry: now the information about the move and start of production is found in the #62 and #62A catalogues on page 3. The bit of finding the actions in storage came from Lewis Potter of Potter & Walker Gunsmiths who at that time spent much of his time at the Parker-Hale plant during that period. P-H built the Hussar model on the ZG47 Brno action the FN actions are "reported" but I have not seen one myself as yet. In fact I have not come across many real Safari models. The late ones have Spanish actions are are often found with Spain lightly stamped into the side of the rear tang. A couple of those I own have this marking.

Due to the misinformation about Parker-Hale rifles and the different models is why I started on my search for the information. I brought what turned out to be an 1100 Deluxe in 30-06 but got told it was a Safari, Safari Deluxe, 1200 deluxe and this by dealers who should at least know what they are offering for sale and if not at least say they don't know which model it is instead of trying to bull there way through it and also by a couple of ex employees of Parker-Hale. It was the happy discovery of a #73/74 catalogue which had my rifle in it that proved without a doubt what model it actually was. Since then I have been collecting as many different P-H catalogues and advertising fliers (mini catalogues of 3-5 pages) and now have about 13 of them with which to check information Oh and one Gibbs one featuring their abortive attempts at cashing in on the P-H name and reputation.

Parker-Hale when it was actually Parker-Hale were helpful to a fault sadly this changed when Modular Industries got control under the name of Bremmer Arms Company I can only assume your tired writing to them whilst under this management which would have been in the very late 1980's to about 1992.

Hopefully if we can gather enough solid information it's hoped to put it all together is a sort of Parker-Hale history. Never having attempted anything likes this before I find it rather daunting.

#21 ·
There must be thousands of these rifles in New Zealand.It was a very common first Rifle for young Hunters on a Budget.Also the first "Modern" Hunting Rifle many bought after using a Sporterised Lee Enfeild.

I have one in .270 and have owned about three others.They typically fetch around $300USD in decent condition.

#25 ·
Some of my Parker-Hale rifles

OK straight out of the box hang tag still attached 1200 Super in 7.92mm

Note poor inletting, I believe this was rejected and not shipped as part of the special order run and finally got sold to the trade. So far have not found any P-H literature listing the 7.92mm chambering (8x57 Mauser)

Stock oiled and scoped up:-

Parker-Hale 1100 Lwt

As brought with slightly chipped stock finish so the finish was stripped off and a hand rubbed oil one applied

Parker-Hale 1100M in .458

This one has the std Mauser two stage trigger still.

Next a 1200C in 25-06

1200V

in 6mm Remington

1100 Deluxe in 30-06

Unique stock profile.

Model 1200TX single shot target rifle in 7.62x51

This particular rifle has the extra scope block so that the long Unertl/Lyman type target spot scope can be used.

Model 1000 in .243 Winchester

Although it shot well it was returned as after cleaning it, the rifle was covered in filth and grease, I discovered than through abuse the bolt handle had been snapped off at some point and brazed back in place.

Midland 2100 in .243 Winchester slightly customised by previous owner:-

and finally a No4 Supreme Sporting conversion:-

Hope you like them.

#40 ·
Replacement Stock for the 1200?

Greetings....

I was surfing and found this thread. I registered in hopes of getting a bit more information. I was looking for information on two Parker Hale rifles that I have. One was my father's, and it's a 30-06. The other was my uncle's, and it is a 300 win mag. Both rifles are identical, and look exactly like the 1200's the gentleman posted pictures of below. Both have iron sights too.

Both have markings on the barrel: "Importer Jana Denver" and a crown over the letters BNP
The 30-06 has the numbers: P-50298
The 300 Mag has the numbers: MAG-28661

I'm not sure if I inherited these rifles, or if "rescued" would be more accurate description. Either way, I acquired them for sentimental value. They remind me of my youth, trailing along behind my father and/or uncle, hunting in the mountains. I'll pass them down to my son some day.

Both rifles are in pretty rough shape. I have spoken to a local gunsmith, to see what he can do with them. Problem is the stocks. The 300 mag's stock cannot be repaired. The base of the stock suffered from some sort of heat related damage, probably set too close to a wood stove. Someone cut 1 3/4" off the stock and sanded the rest of it down way too far. The 30-06 stock might be repairable, but unlikely. It has the infamous crack in the pistol grip area, behind the bolt slide.

The gunsmith does not know where he can find a replacement stock that would be identical. There are many composite options, and generic wood options, but finding one that would be identical to these may be impossible. The stocks are what make these rifles so appealing to me. I think they are about one of the nicest looking rifles I've ever seen. Not too flashy, just a touch of subtle elegance.

I am hoping that someone might point me in the right direction for acquiring replacement stocks and recoil pads. The gunsmith will go through the actions and clean / polish them up. I'll have the barrels / mag and trigger guard re-blued.

Thanks in advance for your time........ mike

OK straight out of the box hang tag still attached 1200 Super in 7.92mm

1200V

#27 ·
your correct....1980's ?......i have seen one other safari 308 norma mag. for sale......
trade x sometimes has a few pictures of intrest...
keep up the research it will benefit us all.....
MINE is the "FN" i think ? by the adds.........
with loading cut out on left side "0ld STYLE military Mauser action?"
....but its been years since i had it off wood....to look for new info "learned" that i now know and can put to my research......
i know the old stock had Sile stamped in the barrel channel.......its in AA old growth Kentucky blank i hand selected with my friend at the saw mill......

#30 ·
The design of the Mauser 98 it what causes the bolt sloppiness as you put it. It's there to allow for battle field debris. One would have thought after over 100 years of being in use people would have understood this simple fact. The original Model 1892 and 1893 had a guide rib to reduce the slop but Mauser found it not needed to did away with the guide rib.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.