Gunboards Forums banner

Help? K98 Sniper Value?

8K views 65 replies 28 participants last post by  moconfed 
#1 ·
Hello,
I posted this question in the sniper forum but have had little response, Vic suggested I ask over here.
I'm just looking for some rough ideas regarding value if possible. are these things common? I see lots of K98 sniper pictures here in the forums..
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=22852
I'm sorry I cannot get pictures, but my descriptions are accurate. I have long term knowledge of this rifle and I know it is not a forgery.
Thank you for any possible input.

#41 · (Edited)
Ham - agreed.

Award - In this case your facts and analysis were for the most part incorrect. Fortunately other forum members were able to point this out and help a newbie on the subject. We all get a little fired up at times for various reasons. Hopefully when we disagree we can do so without being disagreeable.

#44 ·
well to those who had to read my comment regarding what winchester said, i am sorry. my original post was not being arrogant at all. it wasn't being superior at all. it was my opinion based on what i seen. what i seen was a photo showing a shadow line which made the shroud look ground deeper than usual, a milled floor plate which, ok, i thought should have been stamped, a sanded and glossy stock. ok, so that combination would mean bubba got it.
and as i mentioned that i (and most others here) are not experts. at least i claimed that.
so, sorry for commenting at all because it was OBVIOUSLY all MY fault and I get the warning.

regarding winchesters comment on the bottom of his post was totally uncalled for and totally provacative.

like i said, he has made immature comments in the past and when it becomes personal that is where i draw the line. humble or not, i won't take it. so i may as well say addios now.

#46 ·
Award,

For your education: "bcd", i.e. Gustloff, continued to use milled parts on thier rifles until the very end. The reason? The factories that produced these parts worked for cheap, using forced labor. This "free labor" produced milled parts from existing stocks of forgings and new forgings. The cost to convert production over to stamped components was probably not viable, so it was cheaper for them to continue making them. These are not leftovers either- they are produced in late44-45. If you notice (the picture I posted here) the trigger guard lacks the locking screw, a late feature (gun is bcd45 14065, one of the last)

On the bolt shroud, the line you see is poor manufacture- if you notice, the gas shield is rough forged and unfinished, typical for bcd's in this serial range. A healthy dose of skepticism is a good thing in this hobby, especially when it comes to snipers, but if you are unsure of yourself, make clear that you aren't (I know you attempted that, but it didn't come across well enough).

#47 · (Edited)
....and this is why the K98k forum is open and not a bully pulpit for a few. We all err. The most important thing is not any one ego or "guru status", but the accuracy of the information. I'd rather the unhappy truth than have someone happily pissing on my back telling me it's raining. Award, even though your position was flawed it caused a discussion that imparted good information. None of us is immune from correction and I welcome it.

#48 ·
Award,
The infraction was not a product of the moderators here who are top notch. It came from me not for your postings but for language. Thats all. Nothing was deleted and rarely is. What was given was not even an infraction but rather a warning.

#51 ·
Wow, after reading this thread, the tone is sure rough. I have once gone through the grinder here too for something I thought was 'the real deal', and it was a bit over the top - like this is. I think the man who posted the initial question was completely legit. These forums are for questions and answers, good ones and silly ones, why not keep it sober? I, by far, am not an expert on Mausers, but saying a K98 sniper rifle can't be 'real' simply because it has been taken apart, is pure speculation. People do all kinds of things, and certainly over the course of almost sixty years. I would think a rifle that is not in perfect condition would be more real than one that was (except for the stock).
I'm a purist when it comes to gun collecting and steer clear of anything altered, but there's a fear here for 'Bubba' that slams the newbies hard. Everyone has to learn and a lot of it is an acquired taste for the battle-hardened look, and to appreciate its history. I think the loathing of both posters of such items and the item could be turned down a notch. There's not much of a, "I'm sorry to tell you that this or this is not correct," but more of a, "This is garbage," and it's too bad.

HL

#56 ·
Alright guys.. lets not get wound up again..:)
This forum brought out a wealth of knowledge and information regarding my rifle that would be nearly impossible for the amateur (Me) to gather in years of research. I want to give everybody a big THANK YOU! for your comments, yes.. even the bad ones, because they drew in the real heavy hitters to clarify incorrect information that was offered.
I linked the sale of my rifle to this thread because of the quality of the information that was given here. I think that says something for Gunboards, they have every right to be proud of the folks that give their time here.

The rifle currently has a buyer, thanks to everyone for your help.

#58 ·
It doesn't sound like the healing has begun... I have to say 'purists' are not any sicker than those who hack up authentic, antique firearms. People can do what they want. It all depends on how one looks at it. The hack jobs can often turn into interesting restoration projects for the one who is crafty, if nothing else, but they are generally rather sad and the value will truly be in the eyes of the beholder.

HL

#59 ·
007ALEX, What I am saying is: everything in moderation - purists and those who are not. The reason I think a modified rifle is sad is that it can't go back to what it was. It only works one way, and they're not making anymore from that era, obviously. I understand there are some who likes to scope and change old rifles, and so be it - it can't be helped. One can say it's like stepping on a bug - there are millions and trillions of them - it doesn't matter, but it mattered to the bug :)

HL

#60 ·
Okay, be that way. In the light of truth, ... and I am don't know jack **** about anything... I am insane call me whatever you want... I just discredited myself, so you don't' have to do it, every time I want to leave a post... Okay. :'(

Alex
You see you hang yourself. You treat this hobby and this forum like a blog.... a blog of incoherant ranting. Reminds me alot of the armchair commandos in any hobby that get a taste and run with the ball like they know it all , then just have a fountian of dysentery of posts of frothing nothingness.
Some fellas are just better off keeping to themselves UNITL they read up enough on the subject to partake in an intelligent manner. That's just my opinion , but If I wanted to read drivel I'd go to some political or social bunk blog , not a site dedicated to collectors and historians , albeit most of use are ametures in that realm.

#61 ·
Of course, HL. But the purists are mad about it and those who hack the rifles up are not. They're just doing what they are supposed to do. they are part of the dynamics. They're not mad at everyone. they're not try to keep things static... These things weren't made and sat somewhere... they were used by people and traveled long distances... We should be glad they are here and not sad.
QUOTE]

007alex..... I for one understand and agree with your opine on this collecting issue....
What you have said warrants mentioning now and then.... and don't forget the part about reminding people that high/low posting counts do not necessarily equal knowledge amount...

This k98 forum has been really humming lately....

Well...blah blah blah...thats all I got this time.....:D

#64 · (Edited)
Real LSR Maybe

The rifle is a rare example of a enlarged receiver K98k that cannot be faked for that reason. Though I have seen enlarged receiver K98k rifles for sale that did not have scopes put on them. I guess the Germans manufactured them to snipe then did not have the resources to complete the LSR sniper project and then just issued the rifle for service or stored them until GI's liberated an incomplete LSR sniper.

This example has a scope set installed that has missing parts. It also has missing pins and screws from the base. That really doesn't make sense. Why would someone take a completed K98k sniper and take parts from the scope rig and base? Yeah, Bubba would poly. a stock set, but he would not break the scope set. Unless he got an enlarged receiver K98k that was not sniped and then had to hunt down the correct scope and base set to install himself and could only find a scope set and base that was incomplete or damaged. This is all conjecture on my part, but I would not pay big dollars for this particular example. Too many questions with no explanation. I am sure though because it is an enlarged receiver bcd 4 with some missing scope and base parts and a stock set in need of restoration he can get someone to pay him $6000.00 at least for this rifle. It sounds like he found a buyer already. I am also sure that some of the non-sniped enlarged receiver K98k rifles I have seen for sale now sport a reproduction LSR scope rig.

#66 ·
The rifle is a rare example of a enlarged receiver K98k that cannot be faked for that reason. Though I have seen enlarged receiver K98k rifles for sale that did not have scopes put on them. I guess the Germans manufactured them to snipe then did not have the resources to complete the LSR sniper project and then just issued the rifle for service or stored them until GI's liberated an incomplete LSR sniper.

This example has a scope set installed that has missing parts. It also has missing pins and screws from the base. That really doesn't make sense. Why would someone take a completed K98k sniper and take parts from the scope rig and base? Yeah, Bubba would poly. a stock set, but he would not break the scope set. Unless he got an enlarged receiver K98k that was not sniped and then had to hunt down the correct scope and base set to install himself and could only find a scope set and base that was incomplete or damaged. This is all conjecture on my part, but I would not pay big dollars for this particular example. Too many questions with no explanation. I am sure though because it is an enlarged receiver bcd 4 with some missing scope and base parts and a stock set in need of restoration he can get someone to pay him $6000.00 at least for this rifle. It sounds like he found a buyer already. I am also sure that some of the non-sniped enlarged receiver K98k rifles I have seen for sale now sport a reproduction LSR scope rig.
I ran into a gent that has one of these bcd receivers, and has been unable to find a scope mount that will fit. Perhaps they are different from standard sidemounts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.