Gunboards Forums banner

ID On Cartouche/Markings? 1939 Tula & 1942 Triangle 25

2K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  Igloo 
#1 · (Edited)
So I'm a little new to the whole "Nugget" collecting thing, and I've been able to ID just about every marking on my 4 rifles, but there are a few I haven't found yet.

First is a shield like cartouche on a 1939 Tula's stock.

It reads C 3 and an upside down T? (pic is upside down)

Second is on the same rifle, I think it's just a Cyrillic letter over a quality control mark but I can't really tell.
(Second from the right)

~-~
Different rifle now, this one is on a Triangle 25 marked barrel and a Star 25 stock.

The marking I'm talking about is the one on the stepped up area on the bolt handle. Also the faded/machined out one is odd too.

More pics of that particular gun because I feel like it, LOL.

Triangle 25, also that weird stamp above the Soviet Crest, it's almost like a bell shape. I may post pics of it if anyone thinks it's something special.

*Edit* There's also an "11" marked down to the right in the black area where the receiver and barrel meet.

Quality control stamped over something else

"Star 25"

Any thoughts on the markings? I know the Triangle/Star 25 is a repair workshop mark, but the rest is kinda funky to me.

Also, I love the 1942 Izhevsk, picked it up on Tuesday for $80. No Ukrainian refurb stamp, there were pine needles and hay shavings stuck in the cosmoline around the trigger area in the stock, and I swear it hasn't been cleaned or taken apart since Kursk, LOL... Kinda makes me feel bad for doing that, but oh well.

-Iggy

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh, forgot to mention that there is no Import mark or new serial anywhere on the rifle *EDIT* after more inspection there is a mark at the end of the barrel, it's a Century Import..
The owner said It's been in that gun shop since the late 80s or early 90s, I guess small towns have their fun parts.

#8 ·
I did a quick mock-up of the marking on Paint Shop Pro

I also found this in near the crossbolt in the recessed grip area. (Camera's dead, so mock-up for now)

I also found a "Circle T" at the rear of the stock next to the metal plate.

So, my guess is that it's Czech, then?

#16 ·
I think what you may be seeing is part of the date or SN, there's not anything up there, at least from a small skim over. Time to bring out the jeweler's optic. :D

I'm curious to know what markings are on the tang? It looks like in your last pic the alignment mark is X'd over (I think that is an alignment mark?). Sorry, but can you give us a full shot of your Mosin?
Sure thing, I'm gonna take them to the range in a couple hours though. So if it doesn't rain later then I'll get a full view.

#20 ·
How big is the "star 25"? The combination of that and the /25\ is pretty cool! Not to mention everything else.

#21 ·
Here we go, I used Paint Shop to clarify the area a bit and make an outline of the SA.

I still don't know if I believe it or not, LOL.
Though, you know I was looking at the barrel the other day and I noticed it has a bit of a step or bulge down around the middle, like it was stepped at one point.
Rest assured I'll be taking a very long look-over of the rifle.

The Star 25 is about an inch in size, it's pretty big. And I tend to agree, this particular Mosin is probably my favorite by far.

#25 ·
Haha, being that detailed is a very good trait, one that I *used* to have, glad I your eyes saw what was there.
And history is why I buy guns, for many different sub reasons in that category. Feels good to have something like it.

Also a quick question for anyone who can answer. My knowledge is a little shabby on why there would be a once imprinted SA mark on it, does this mean it was refinished during the war? I'm not too knowledgeable on that
I mean how would it only show up as rust and a shallow cavity with rust from where it used to be? And upon further inspection there seems to be other shapes in commonly marked areas too.

Ah well, in any case it's probably the best $80 I've spent in years. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.