Thread: Any thoughts on accurizing the SVT40?

Default Any thoughts on accurizing the SVT40?

Can't find a whole lot out there about shimming or anything like that. I know you can only expect so much from the SVT but theres got to be something you can do.

Too complicated.

Buy AG m/42 B :D
    Collector's Creed:

This is my rifle.
    I have many like it, and they are all MINE.
    My rifles are my life. Without my rifles I am useless.
    I must buy any cheap Milsurp, before Bubba does.
    I will learn all about restoration and preservation of guns.
    I must clean my rifles and shoot them often.

So be it, until all old military rifles have found a loving home.

As noted, too difficult to be practical possibility. The main problem is that rifle stock is very weakly connected to receiver and the structural design doesn't allow much improvement in that if you don't replace the rifle stock with completely different design in which this has been fixed (or make permanent modifications to receiver). Sako tested just this (new type of heavier rifle stock) with its wartime TaPaKo prototype build from SVT-38 and succeeded improving shooting accuracy, but improvements were too extensive to be approved: http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/RIFLES4.htm

Jarkko

If you have any play in the action in the stock, try a very small shim at the rear lug of the receiver in the stock.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

This could be a problem....I love this rifle tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBQ5WK9sop8

How badly does yours shoot?
    Mine sometimes shoots the first cold shot off a bit unless i really slam the bolt home and then strings about 4" as it heats up, much like an SKS, but better than my $800 Mini-30..

Last time I had the rifle out with Czech ST I ended up with a group about the size and shape of a human head at 100 yards. Rifle has a very good bore with some possible cleaning wear at the crown. I'll have it out again this weekend, possibly with some shims in the stock. There is no perceptible fore and aft play in the stock, but I may not be pushing hard enough. The trigger group locks in tightly as well.

I get terrible groups even at 50 yds with mine. It has an original scope and mount on regular rifle with the small scope mount lock grove added. Thought it was the scope and mount combo but when I shot it with only the open sights, it shot the same so it is the rifle, Ray

Check your muzzle brake alignment over the bore. My first SVT had a bent front sight/brake assembly. You could see a smear of copper on the brake from the bullet hitting it. That made for some horrendous groups. Probably 12+ inches at 50 yards.

I actually found a slight problem with my new SVT last night. The trigger was seating against the receiver and not applying any pressure against the stock. It had always been very difficult to lock in, which I thought was due to a snug fit with the stock. Slightly reshaped the trigger housing and now it snaps in normally against spring pressure. Having fixed that as well as placing a shim under the barrel under the forward retaining band it shot respectably well. Best group was about 2 MOA. Thats good enough.

I've got to figure out how to drift the front sight on mine for windage... It hits way over to the right at 100 yards. I haven't gone beyond that range for that reason. I tried to use an SKS/AK tool, but it didn't work. The dimensions are way off. I suppose if I was handy at all I could figure out how to contrive one. Time permitting I'll have to figure it out.

Has anyone seen stainless gas parts for the SVT-40 rifle lately?

If you make sure the rear of the receiver is tight to the stock, shim the underside of the front of the receiver so it locks tight to the crossbolt, and then put a strip of thick rubberband (broccoli rubberband) between the steel handguard and the wood handguard, with the ends curled under to separate the handguards from the bottom stock, accuracy/consistency can be improved somewhat.
    Turk Pr0n!

I have written a novel. Science fiction alien-invasion set in 1908 Russia. You should buy a copy!

My honest advice is to buy something else for accuracy. Leave the SVT alone as a collectible.
    There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong.
    H. L. Mencken

Got the heavy barrel Mosin for accuracy. I'd just like the SVT to perform as well as is reasonably possible. I realize it has limitations but theres no reason it shouldn't be able to consistently shoot 2-3 MOA.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodan View Post
    Got the heavy barrel Mosin for accuracy. I'd just like the SVT to perform as well as is reasonably possible. I realize it has limitations but theres no reason it shouldn't be able to consistently shoot 2-3 MOA.
    I see your earlier post now regarding the trigger housing (missed it the first time). Glad to hear of the simple solution. M1s suffer from a lot of bedding problems too, and one of the biggest is the fit of the trigger housing. Seems to be a similar situation on SVTs. I shimmed a M1 once under the trigger housing pads and went from about 8-10 moa to more like 4-5.

My advise comes from the lack of parts and rifles. I'd be really wary of messing with a SVT-40 preferring to just preserve it. For example, I don't even shoot mine. Too costly if something breaks and I can entertain myself with other rifles.
    There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong.
    H. L. Mencken

I don't shoot it often mostly because I hate to clean it. The gas system is no problem but the fluted chamber allows the nasty corrosive residue to infiltrate the action. Thats no fun.

I repack surplus into S&B boxer brass, makes cleaning easy.
    And SVT are realy cheap here, 250 Euro so I do not have to worry about parts.
    Collector's Creed:

This is my rifle.
    I have many like it, and they are all MINE.
    My rifles are my life. Without my rifles I am useless.
    I must buy any cheap Milsurp, before Bubba does.
    I will learn all about restoration and preservation of guns.
    I must clean my rifles and shoot them often.

So be it, until all old military rifles have found a loving home.

Brass punch and tap it over.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

I also would leave the SVTs alone.

Ammo and reloading is probably the most logical plkace to start.

On a side note - anyone tried the new Hornady 7.62x54r Match loading yet?

I love the .30-06 M1 Garand Match load they came out with. Far superior to the surplus 1960s LC Match ammo I have tried.

If you got an itch to "accurize" something - the M1 Garand is the rifle to work with. Dramatic improvements with only a few changes. The full blown match Garands are mind blowingly superior to the run of the mill CMP gun.
    "Would you die in your sleep like an ailing pet?" - Serenity

Quote Originally Posted by MilSurpFan View Post
    M1s suffer from a lot of bedding problems too, and one of the biggest is the fit of the trigger housing. Seems to be a similar situation on SVTs. I shimmed a M1 once under the trigger housing pads and went from about 8-10 moa to more like 4-5.
    I would say that rifle had a few more problems than bedding and trigger guard pad wear.
    "Would you die in your sleep like an ailing pet?" - Serenity

On a side note - anyone tried the new Hornady 7.62x54r Match loading yet
    My guess is it's probably a heavy bullet like 174 or 180 grs..?? That means it's probably best out of a bolt gun, although maybe an SVT40 can handle it, no good for a PSL though, unless you like battered trunnions... yummm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-M View Post
    I would say that rifle had a few more problems than bedding and trigger guard pad wear.
    Yup... swallowed the TE gauge. Just gone. sights all floppy, gas cylinder almost out of spec, visible cleaning rod wear in the muzzle and almost failed on a field-reject gauge. With the sights snugged up, the stock shimmed and with neck sized loads (yeah, I know dangerous - bolt was checked on each round) it got down to about 3 MOA. I wouldn't keep it that way though and the neck sized loads are an invitation to a slam fire, but it was just an experiment. I returned that one.

I have had great luck with the plain Privi 150gr FMJs in my PSL. Could be useful in the SVT-40 also. Cheaper that the Hornady too.
    H. L. Mencken