Thread: Firearms International (F.I.(Star) Model D issues

Default Firearms International (F.I.(Star) Model D issues

I picked up a nice little Firearms International Model D (Star Model D/Colt Pony/Iver Johnson Pony, etc...) .380 with an early serial number. Its a clean little gun, but in the 120 rounds I've put through it I literally had probably 20 failure to ejects (guessing the dinged up extractor needs to be replaced.

Also has an issue particularly with Federal Hydra-shok ammo with the factory mag., where if the mag. is full (6 rounds) and you release the slide stop that first round won't chamber & the slide hangs up on the round.

With the full mag in & the slide/barrel off, its near impossible to even push though the first 3 rounds with your thumb, until there are only 3 rounds left in the magazine, then the mag spring seems to have enough play to allow the round to push down, climb the ramp & chamber. The feed ramp is clean & shiny, looks like it had some work done on it.

I didn't really have the failure to feed with Remington jhp's or with ball ammo(Speer Lawman), although there were a few times on the first round that I had to push the slide to completely chamber the round- Do have a new recoil spring & extractor on the way, along with some Colt .380 government mags that may ease the situation. Any suggestions? James in Wisconsin

Make sure the magazine spring is not installed backwards.

Apparently mag springs are an issue with these. Mine came with one good mag, and two that needed springs according to the seller. He said no replacements were available and I haven't tried to find a substitute.

Are you suggesting that Colt Govt 380 mags will work, or just the springs?

The Colt Gov't .380 mags were not my idea. I've been scouring google for anything F.I./Star model D/Colt-Iver Johnson Pony etc... I came across this posting on the 1911 boards- http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=212233 . I've got a Colt mag on the way & will let you know what happens when I get it. Would be nice to have that 7+1 capacity as opposed to the 6+1.

Default Colt mags in an FI Model D

Amazing. I'd have bet serious money that the Colt would not work in that Star.
    And I've got a couple Colt Govt 380s sitting in the safe with that FI Model D, probably next to each other.

Here's the image from that other thread.

If it works, I'll be looking to adapt the cast baseplates from my FI mags.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ijponywcoltmagmach1284dm4.jpg  

The lip at the front of the magazine well precludes the use of magazines with a normal base plate.
    I usually cut the lip flush with the grip frame. This allows you to use Star magazines, as well as FI/Iver Johnson mags.
    It also lightens the gun.

Bill, would that be Star S or SS mags?

Hello:

This brand is not Spanish, I believe that it was made by Iver Jonhson or can be Colt?.

Regards

Actually, they were made by Firearms International, and later- Iver Johnson.
    The gun was originally slated to be the Colt "Pony," but only 50 or so were sold as such. The earlier guns used Star "DK" parts, except the US made frame. Later, more parts were made in the US.

I believe the S or SS mags are long enough to work without cutting the frame, but I'm not sure. If the frame is cut, "D" or "DK" mags will work, too.

If you do cast those floorplates for the colt mags, I'd take 3; let me know please. My issue with loading the Federal hydra shok has been resolved;50% was where the lips of the upper & lower feedramp meet, 50% was the ears/tangs at the top of the mag were just too tight to allow the ammo to move like it needed to. A little gentle persuasion & it works great now. As for this gun not being made by or at least based on a Spanish gun; take a look at this photo of the trigger assemblies of both my F.I. Model D & my 1920's Beistugui Hermanos .32 Fabrique D'Armes de Guerre de Grande Precision, Bulwark model & how closely the 2 compare; definately a heavy Spanish influence there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trigger controls.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	475230

Star tooled up to make that gun for Colt.
    Colt bailed out, Star made them for a while, then sold the rights and probably the tooling to IJ.

Star didn't tool up to make the gun for Colt. The DK was already in production, introduced in 1958.
    Colt was going to have the frames made in the US, and use Star parts.
    Star didn't make any of the "Pony" guns, as the frames were unimportable. Firearms International made (or had made) the frames, and used Star parts. When F.I. went out of business, Iver Johnson picked up the design.

I got the mags in for the Colt .380 Government, and I have to say that they feed better the mag that came with my F.I.. That said, my F.I. mag is likely worn. Very nice and an extra round. The lip at the front of the magazine does not hinder its use in the pistol. If anyone were to make a modified "Base Plate" that would't actually be a base plate but would wrap around the base of the magazine to make it look stock; I'd certainly pay for that!

By make it look stock I mean make it look stock without cutting off the lip of the new mag, that has the rampant Colt on it.

I don't think that would be too hard to cast from Pewter, but the demand would be so low as to make it not worth the time invested.

but only 50 or so were sold as such.
    Perhaps I misunderstood, I thought they were "absorbed" by Colt employees, and that none were sold. That would make sense too because of legalities surrounding a new model that didn't make it to market. What I read was that FI's quality did not suit Colt, which I can believe. I gave my FI away, which I regret, especially since the guy I gave it too couldn't lower himself to say a simple thank you.
    I have new recoil spring plugs for Llama .380's and .32's

Perhaps I mis-spoke. There were approximately 50 marked as Colt Ponys.

I dont mean to revive a post from the basement but I am in need of parts for a IJ "Pony" and am searching for information relentlessly. I need a Firing pin, firing pin spring, firing pin retaining pin and rear site. any help would be appreciated. Thanks again

Numrich shows the firing pin is in stock. Out of stock on rear sight assembly, but they have the blade, spring, and lock screw. www.gunpartscorp.com

crossing fingers on gun-parts.com looks like they have it all

Call them (don't email) and make sure they have the parts.

do you have a good number? the only number I see is a fax number

Sorry, I don't. I may have an old number out in the shop. I'll try to remember to look.

Gun parts has firing pins now...probably the spring and pin also. If you need a rear sight I have a bunch of used ones and would gladly give you one.